Atrix is a sales flop

I don't think the locked bootloader has anything to do with it.

Price has everything to do with it. The only unique thing Atrix does versus any other phone is combine with a docking station that is another $400 for a dock that weighs more then a Macbook Air. :eek:

Hell the only reason Atrix even has 1GB of RAM is because of the dock. However, again way too expensive. It's sad really because the Atrix I believe is ahead of it's time. I truly believe that's the road we're headed down. Portables that just plug into a dock for ease of use with certain functionality.

The Atrix is actually priced quite competetivelyat $199. I remember seeing deals at $125 when it first came out.

I dont think it could be price either because they are pretty cheap on contract for a super phone.

The Atrix is actually priced quite competetivelyat $199. I remember seeing deals at $125 when it first came out.

I dont think it could be price either because they are pretty cheap on contract for a super phone.

You're only looking at the phone itself and ignoring the feature set that is advertised. The only reason the phone is even using Tegra 2 and has a 1GB of RAM is because of the over priced docking station.

Atrix loses a good chunk of it's luster when you realize that the functionality advertised costs you another $400. Especially when you compare it to the Thunderbolt or upcoming Droid Bionic.

The Atrix is a gimmick IMO and most people outside of the very small tech community thought so too. At least there's some justification from those of us who didn't get the hype over this phone

the phone has the best hardware but the worst software in android, i don't think the bootloader has anything to do, most people don't even know what it is.

All the newbs who care about this junk already have a netbook or an ipad. Sell the dock for say $100 and then you have yourself a cool toy. IMO

The rest of us aren't too dainty to carry an actually full featured laptop. What's the point in using my slow arse phone as a laptop when I can buy a faster and cheaper laptop.

YES!!

Maybe now Motorola will get the message: Don't lock down the phone, drop Motoblur, and don't make it so damn expensive. The dock is a $200 netbook minus all the guts. Why should it cost so much?

I was ready to buy two, but decided to wait til the fall instead thanks to Motorola's crap.

Played with one for a while and went with the Inspire. Need me some CyanogenMod and Miui. Hell I even like Sense better than Blur.

But.. but... it's sucha awesome phone! I mean it has dual core and the capability to tranform into a laptop!!!

I can't stop laughing....... A few months months all of you fanbois were defending this phone like it was your down syndrome child but now that no one is buying this turd everyone is saying it's a gimmick or something of sort when I have been saying this all along.

IPHONE KILLER.

I can't stop laughing....... A few months months all of you fanbois were defending this phone
I didn't see anyone defending it, or attacking it for that matter. There was quite a bit of high hopes for it, which Motorola promptly dashed. Good hardware; idiot manufacturer.

I don't really think there has been much marketing to be honest - given its 'premium' price point as well, there needs to be something that obviously differentiates it from the rest of the pack. Reviews were very positive on the phone itself.

This definitely has nothing to do with the locked bootloader - having said that, if this were a Nexus phone (i.e. unlocked bootloader, vanilla android) I would be all over it.

have you guys even used this device? I spent a day with one and it's a pretty sick little device. the screen compares to the iphone 4's, and the specs are so high it really is just a dream to use. Amazingly snappy. Sure there are a few gimmicks, and the price isn't that great, but this isn't the bread and butter android device like the galaxy or the evo, it's a high end niche phone. Pretty cool IMO though.

I didn't see anyone defending it, or attacking it for that matter. There was quite a bit of high hopes for it, which Motorola promptly dashed. Good hardware; idiot manufacturer.

This ^^^

Was there hype around Atrix? Yes, but it wasn't blind faith that this phone would be a "Jesus Phone." It had two huge strikes against it coming out of the gates and we all knew it.

1. It is Motorola meaning locked bootloader. We all knew that was coming.
2. It is on AT&T. The one carrier that removes app side loading from their Android phones.

The hype was justified. A powerful (Tegra 2 + 1GB RAM is nothing to sneer at) portable device that could be used as a pseudo netbook? Such a fantastic idea and one I think we will see more of.

However, Motorola has never been known for its business smarts and it promptly crushed the hype that was out there about this device. How do you possibly expect to sell a docking station that costs substantially more then a netbook and weighs more then a Macbook Air?

The reason why the Atrix fails is easy - for the same reason why WP7 aren't doing well. It's on AT&T. AT&T has been preaching how the iPhone is superior to anything and everything. So why would any average person spend $199 on anything when they can spend $199 on an iPhone?

The Atrix would easily be a best seller had it gone to Verizon.

Just look at how Verizon's iPhone sales are low. Because Verizon has been preaching about how the the droid does, iDont...

Yeah I think its the network. The Thunderbolt is selling pretty well I believe. I've got one and love it. I just think AT&T's average service is what hurts their phones.

The reason why the Atrix fails is easy - for the same reason why WP7 aren't doing well. It's on AT&T. AT&T has been preaching how the iPhone is superior to anything and everything. So why would any average person spend $199 on anything when they can spend $199 on an iPhone?

The Atrix would easily be a best seller had it gone to Verizon.

Just look at how Verizon's iPhone sales are low. Because Verizon has been preaching about how the the droid does, iDont...

Oh ya totally, the best selling product in verizon's history was just horribad? I mean best selling product for a billion dollar company= low sales right?

Go troll somewhere else.

Oh ya totally, the best selling product in verizon's history was just horribad? I mean best selling product for a billion dollar company= low sales right?

Go troll somewhere else.

Get your facts straight before you call somebody else a troll...my god that RDF warps brain cells or something:

It was Verizon's "best product launch ever". Not "best selling product in Verizon's history". However, that's not saying much as the Verizon iPhone is still selling far short of the original expectations and that's even been said by Verizon themselves. Not to mention the new HTC Thunderbolt is reportedly outselling the Verizon iPhone 4.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/31/htc-t...-4-at-verizon-wireless-stores-analyst-claims/

Get your facts straight before you call somebody else a troll...my god that RDF warps brain cells or something:

It was Verizon's "best product launch ever". Not "best selling product in Verizon's history". However, that's not saying much as the Verizon iPhone is still selling far short of the original expectations and that's even been said by Verizon themselves. Not to mention the new HTC Thunderbolt is reportedly outselling the Verizon iPhone 4.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/31/htc-t...-4-at-verizon-wireless-stores-analyst-claims/

I would hope that a BRAND NEW flagship phone and the only LTE phone on vzw would be able to beat a 9 month old phone especially with an iPhone 5 annoucement possibility still in the air.

Btw, the verizon iPhone was the single most bought smartphone in the month of Feburary.

I heard the TB gets great battery life too :p

Last edited:

thanks. fanboiism is retarded.

I would hope that a BRAND NEW flagship phone and the only LTE phone on vzw would be able to beat a 9 month old phone especially with an iPhone 5 annoucement possibility still in the air.

Btw, the verizon iPhone was the single most bought smartphone in the month of Feburary.

I heard the TB gets great battery life too :p

God I love the arguments from the RDF effected of the world. Change things left and right to always try to make yourself right. Love how you ignore the part about Verizon's iPhone 4 falling far short of expectations.

Actually, my TB does get great battery life. 12+ hours on my phone with heavy usage and that's with LTE. Thanks for asking though!

Just thought I'd chime in here... I have an Atrix and I love it. I bought it because (unlike most) I keep my phone for years... My previous phone was an iPhone 3g, and before that a Treo 650. My iPhone was getting unbearably slow, so I wanted the best *hardware* I could get at the time, to last me another couple of years. It's been great for me so far - using LauncherPro, I don't have to deal with UglyBlur, and it's rooted, so I can side load, use the webtop OS over HDMI (no need for a dock of any sort), tether, etc.

It didn't sell because the marketing wasn't there. To those not in the know, it's just another Android phone. It doesn't look particularly exciting, and just using it you'd never know it had all of that power under the hood. Nobody cares about the bootloader, motoblur, blah blah blah. It flopped because the marketing wasn't there, and it was placed next to the Inspire in AT&T stores (which has a bigger screen, and a lower price).
By the way, I got mine for $125 shipped on contract, and it included a car charger and wired headset.

Awesome phone IMO, but on a pathetic network. I'd love if this had LTE and was on VZW.

i love the fingerprint unlock.. i hope that migrates to more phones.

God I love the arguments from the RDF effected of the world. Change things left and right to always try to make yourself right. Love how you ignore the part about Verizon's iPhone 4 falling far short of expectations.

Actually, my TB does get great battery life. 12+ hours on my phone with heavy usage and that's with LTE. Thanks for asking though!

He's probably still mad he can't play n64 games dude. Lol

But I agree with some of the previous posts. Idiot manufacturers are what's hurtng Android phone sales. They expect the Android name to sell itself just because its not an iPhone, when that just doesn't work. Its easy to have people flock to your brand of phone when your choices are limited. With Android, its literally pick your carrier, then see what the Android options are. So Android users in my opinion, get more to choose from, and thus will be more selective. The hardware and what the manufacturer brings to the table with said hardware is what will sell the phone. Motorola is lucky that most Android users are not incredibly tech savvy and looking to root, or that locked bootloader shit would have killed them from the get go.

There was a time my $50 Sanyo Katana did shit the iPhone couldn't do and it wasn't just making calls, yet no one flocked to Sprint to get one for that fact. I can speak volumes of how Samsung fucked up the Epic, if not the entire Galaxy S line, and how it took XDA to give it everything it should have had from the beginning. That isn't to say the iPhone did better out of the box though, as again, my Katana was proof that it wasn't without its shortcomings when it failed against a dumbphone.

Last edited:
Well when I went to the AT&T and played with it for a few minutes, my initial impressions were that the UI sucked and the screen quality sucked. So basically the first two things the average customer sees when he looks at the phone sucked. Without comparing the hardware under the hood, to the average user the Inspire looks like a much more appealing phone. I wanted to buy this phone but I was put off after reading various forums...so not surprised at the article.

Go troll somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure the Motorola RAZR was the best selling product in Verizon's history. They moved some rediculous amounts of those things because it was the phone that also popularized the "sign up for 2 years, get this awesome, current-gen phone for free" promotion. The clamshell look of the RAZR was considered fashionable/trendy at the time, which helped it's sales (much like the iPhone's reputation helps it's sales as well.)

As for sales figures, roughly 40 million Apple iPhones were moved as of 4Q10, whereas over 110 million Motorola RAZR phones were produced and sold over a roughly-equivalent 3.5-year span. As the iPhone has only been available on Verizon for a limited subset of that timeframe, and the RAZR was available for nearly the entire timeframe (and was, in fact, popularized by Verizon due to the aforementioned promotion) it's a safe assumption that the RAZR is easily the "best selling product in Verizon's history".

As for trolling, you seem to type "go troll somewhere else" a lot... I'd suggest stopping that. Providing evidence and having an opinion doesn't necessarily mean trolling. I'd suggest reading up on trolling, which refers to "inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages". I'm not seeing any in this thread, but I am seeing people provide their own opinions regarding the OP and following comments.

Well, it looks great, on paper, functions are neat, on paper... but it's Motorola. Had RAZR and RAZR v2 - each was breaking more often then used Citroen :p in frst RAZR I had speakers changed 4 times. 2nd version had some problems with keyboard. After those 2 phones, it would require very good deal from Motorola to make me get another of their products.

Atrix is a pretty good phone, it's not the best but it's still a very good phone and I'll leave it at that.

Moto is striking out left and right. The Xoom and now the Atrix. They need to embrace the "open" in Android more in my opinon.

It is pretty well sorted in Gingerbread, because they introduced hardware acceleration for the interface.

Not in Gingerbread. ;) In Honeycomb this has been fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZEdxqZt6uw

The fastest hardware out there can't keep Android from having chop and lag compared to iOS or WP7. When is Google going to fix this?

Next major version of Android for phones (rumored 2.4 would still be Gingerbread) will incorporate the hardware acceleration from Honeycomb. Code name Ice Cream <something>.

Hardware acceleration is long over due for Android.

Vermillion - That's good. You know something is messed up when Android running on the technically faster Hummingbird is slower and choppier than WP7 running on Snapdragon or iOS on A4.

Not in Gingerbread. ;) In Honeycomb this has been fixed.

wait what!? I could *swear* GB incorporated some hardware acceleration. It feels quite a lot faster to me, but perhaps that's the placebo effect.

Launcher pro helps correct 90% of the choppiness.

wait what!? I could *swear* GB incorporated some hardware acceleration. It feels quite a lot faster to me, but perhaps that's the placebo effect.

Launcher pro helps correct 90% of the choppiness.

The UI isn't accelerated. Open up your gallery and scroll through your pictures. It'll lag/chop.

Home replacements like ADW and LP cannot be accelerated under Android 2.2/2.3 either to my knowledge. This is why you occasionally get a stutter when doing the random transitions when scrolling between screens with ADW Launcher Ex.

Again Honeycomb fixes this. All of the UI on the Xoom is accelerated. We have to wait for that code to be merged into the phone code base. According to Google the next version of Android will be the code merge. Meaning Ice Cream <something>.

I wouldn't say it's a huge flop....the biggest issue for the Atrix anyways is that AT&T refuses to promote Android handsets. When the Droids came out for Verizon they did such huge marketing campaigns it would be a shame if those didn't sell well.

Anyways I think the phone is pretty good but the whole dock being $400 was retarded and their marketing for it really sucked. XOOM just had horrible timing with the iPad2 but I feel was also poorly marketed. I compare it more to the HTC Magic from the HTC G1 (Galaxy Tab)...not quite there yet but making progress. I don't doubt there will soon be tablets for Android that are amazing.

Back