Atom Vs Xeon

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
how much can a Dual-Core Atom server (4gb) handel??

I currently am comparing / replacing a dualcore dual processor Xeon 2.6gh 4gb

(poweredge 2500)

can it handel some kinda heavy duty work or no...\

already have too damn much power/heat from current setup need to scale down this server.

The newer D510 dual cores are better than the earlier models...yes.
But to compare them to a Xeon...no, even the Pentium D procs can run circles around them.

Atoms aren't designed for "heavy work"...they're for low voltage low use servers and mini-ITX computers doing basic desktop stuff...surfing, e-mail, basic word processing, etc.

It depends on what you hope to use it for. I think you're the poster from that other thread with the tall rack in your home lab..with massive fan noise and heat.

For a home network, to use an Atom as your gateway/*nix firewall it'll do fine (if you get the Intel NIC one, not the realtecsuck one)
For most home users an Atom to run your Windows servers 'n mail servers 'n stuff..it'll do fine.
To run an ESXi farm on an Atom...eh...it won't be a ball of fire.
Dunno what else you run.

The newer D510 dual cores are better than the earlier models...yes.
But to compare them to a Xeon...no, even the Pentium D procs can run circles around them.

Atoms aren't designed for "heavy work"...they're for low voltage low use servers and mini-ITX computers doing basic desktop stuff...surfing, e-mail, basic word processing, etc.

It depends on what you hope to use it for. I think you're the poster from that other thread with the tall rack in your home lab..with massive fan noise and heat.

For a home network, to use an Atom as your gateway/*nix firewall it'll do fine (if you get the Intel NIC one, not the realtecsuck one)
For most home users an Atom to run your Windows servers 'n mail servers 'n stuff..it'll do fine.
To run an ESXi farm on an Atom...eh...it won't be a ball of fire.
Dunno what else you run.

LOL no VMs farms on that box lolol that WOULD be a ball of fire and slow.

I do want to offload some of the work my other XEON is doing. Basically this:

FTP/FreeNAS (either or)
Light Intrawebsite
firewall/router

^^ to support a 16-40 person house ^^

would be runnign something like Arch or Gentoo depending on how lazy i am. No X11 just CLI

IF you run linux on it, I doubt you'll have any issues. But don't hold me to it. All of those things can go from very light use that a dual core atom can handle, to ridiculous use. Being that this is a home environment, I'd guess light use.

IF you run linux on it, I doubt you'll have any issues. But don't hold me to it. All of those things can go from very light use that a dual core atom can handle, to ridiculous use. Being that this is a home environment, I'd guess light use.

well.....home us for a house of 14-16 IT guys pushing constant USENET Xbox live, PS3s and multiple computers on a 100 down 30 up line

For heavier use like that, the Atom D510 with 4 gigs and Intel NICs may do OK...but what if you consider a slight upgrade to an Intel Duo on the same rig.

You talking about 3x units? Or 1x unit doing all those 3?
3x different units..yeah, no problem..the FTP and NAS and webserver would be a breeze for it. The firewall...depends on how heavy your usage is with 15-20 peeps. I've had Untangle on older early P4 gen hardware with just 1 gig of RAM, and it does fine for easily over 20 people on an internet connection..but with general usage. Pounding downloads on usenet 'n torrents 'n junk like that will hammer 'em.

The base Intel Pentium Duo (Not Core 2 Duo)...is still fairly low in power consumption, heat output..and runs circles around the Atom. Might be worth the upgrade for a feeling of more confidence in it.

For heavier use like that, the Atom D510 with 4 gigs and Intel NICs may do OK...but what if you consider a slight upgrade to an Intel Duo on the same rig.

You talking about 3x units? Or 1x unit doing all those 3?
3x different units..yeah, no problem..the FTP and NAS and webserver would be a breeze for it. The firewall...depends on how heavy your usage is with 15-20 peeps. I've had Untangle on older early P4 gen hardware with just 1 gig of RAM, and it does fine for easily over 20 people on an internet connection..but with general usage. Pounding downloads on usenet 'n torrents 'n junk like that will hammer 'em.

The base Intel Pentium Duo (Not Core 2 Duo)...is still fairly low in power consumption, heat output..and runs circles around the Atom. Might be worth the upgrade for a feeling of more confidence in it.

Well I did want to have 1 unit doing it all.

Currently running a backup PIII system (256meg ram) as my firewall because of an issue. Its doin OK but nothing better.

I got a 100meg down line to my house currently and want to max it out with no problems with some light to moderate FreeNAS for movies and such

So are you looking for a *nix distro that does firewall as well as SMB?
Check out ClearOS. ;)

ususaly just start with gentoo or arch, then install packages and such until i got a nice OS.

It keeps overhead and other crap i dont want down to a minimum. Very effiecient :) but time consumming :(

If you're not going to do UTM stuff..I bet an Atom box like that would do well. I'm getting ready to order mine...do a search on eBay for Supermicro Atom D510..there's some superseller over in Californy that sells a buncha them in various configs for a bit less than the Egg.

Well i alread got Cisco IDS doing the intrusion stuff so i just need a firewall and storage (and web) to be spread out to us.

BTW on the Egg i found a nice 1U Atom Server that would be a nice addition to my rack (reviews said 17-30watts WTF,F) i wish i could get anywhere close to that!

Back