Atom vs Nano review

eloj

2[H]4U
Another "Most of you know that we covet the “real world” stuff." that doesn't touch on Via's hardware encryption instructions. And by 'touch' I mean benchmark it against the competition.

Is it that it's not considered relevant 'real world stuff' (secret key generation, SSH, SSL, hashing files, disc encryption) or is it that it's considered 'unfair' or what?

Install linux, create encrypted partition using for instance loop-AES. Benchmark filesystem performance. Done.

No, it is the fact that the author does not care.

I think it would be nice to know. For example. I use truecrypt with AES for my entire hard drive on my laptop, so hardware support would be very helpful. It could allow for people to use full volume encryption without a performance hit.

Just wish I could go to work and only do the stuff I personally care about, and not have to consider those pesky people on the receiving end. Great job if you can get it.

bholstege, it would be nice, wouldn't it? I tried to google (a bit half-heartedly) if truecrypt has padlock support, didn't really get any wiser.

Would actually make a really good project for some student to implement if it doesn't, as a summer of code project.

I tried to google (a bit half-heartedly) if truecrypt has padlock support, didn't really get any wiser.

I have a mini-ITX system based on a 1.2GHz Eden processor (VIA Esther core). I tried running the benchmark utility included with version 6.0a of TrueCrypt on a Windows XP installation and it's obvious that TC doesn't use VIA padlock:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1282489

Too bad too. If it did, I wouldn't mind picking up a netbook based on a VIA CPU considering that full-disk encryption would be the only CPU intensive software I would run on one.

I'd rather have a nano bases netbook than a atom one. The atom tags along gma 950 graphics, where via is open for flexibility.

I think it would be nice to know. For example. I use truecrypt with AES for my entire hard drive on my laptop, so hardware support would be very helpful. It could allow for people to use full volume encryption without a performance hit.

For it to work as you envision it, the operating system and encryption software would all have to support Padlock.

For it to work as you envision it, the operating system and encryption software would all have to support Padlock.

Yeah, like using one of the in-kernel disk encryption methods rather than an addon program that lives mostly in userland.

Engadget revealed the Asus N10 in August, but it didn't exactly say it had a Geforce, but the HDMI port implied it had something more than integrated graphics. I can't say how successful they will sell, given that they cost twice as much as the average netbook. I guess for the WoW addict, it might be the best portable gaming device.

His post predates Engadget's. ^^

It seems a bit of a stretch by ASUS to call it a netbook. I thought they were supposed to be cheap and low power. It looks like they're trying to carve a niche that nobody wants/needs (famous last words).

Back