Atom based DC/File Server

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you guys think? Would a small Atom based DC/File Server work for a small office like 5 users?

Most of these small offices, have hosted exchange, and just need a box to share/redirect my documents over to server, share files, and share a quickbooks file, and also centralize backup.

I see WHS is been showing some good use in small business, I personally like to have AD.

The newer dual core would be fine for that, file redirection of my docs would be fine. I'd stuff the RAM and get fast disks for the Quickbooks though...the newer versions are dogs.

i wish WHS could have Domain, the cases for those are nice, maybe one of those things i custom build for some small clients, i have a few offices that are under 5 PC and hard to sell a entry level Dell server.

the WHS has the nice remote files and rww interface

Last edited:
Any idea the time frame on those? I am guessing next year?

Aurora just looks like WHS but with Domain? No exchange? Looks cool.

I may test the WHS in a business. Something on a 1u rack case that can be screwed to the wall.

I haven't heard of a timetable for the release yet, but it does seem like a neat idea. Its now available for beta testing, so I assume if anything it should be available next year.

Let us know how the WHS testing goes! :)

yeah the one client is a pool company, 2 users on hosted exchange 3 on normally pop, with that MS Online Exchange may swap em all over to that and tell em to go with Activesync.

Little WHS box to take place of the one main machine in teh p2p would be nice, then they can use the remote access for files and login.

Back