Atmos in the Windows Store. 3-31

Clovis559

Weaksauce
Interesting at least. Headphone support coming soon.
I wonder if this will give you Atmos headphone support like in Overwatch, but for Battlefront and Battlefield.

L750Ns8.jpg

Nice you can get the creator update without going into the Insider program now. I had to fidget with 2 update tools from Microsoft to get it to work. It kept telling me up to date up to date. Then it was like .... .... ... Update to 15063.13? I was like YEEEEEEE... (I'm sure it won't do much for me today, but still excited)

I can't wait to get home. Obviously don't have Atmos at work. Borderline thinking of taking a halfday... :woot:

gh2SXV7.jpg

Last edited:
How fun, Windows Creator Installed.
The only things I found so far were the videos in the Dolby Atmos Player. Demos you could download before but I could never get to work. (Plus Battlefield 1 and Battlefront)
If you find any other software, share it! :ninja::cool:

GSfm2Gn.png
lU7Itmu.png
v8JyYbM.png
sl9rAcf.png

Last night I updated to the latest Windows 10 release using the update tool, I saw that there are two new headphone options, one being Atmos, so I'm assuming that whatever is on the Store is now included.

Last night I updated to the latest Windows 10 release using the update tool, I saw that there are two new headphone options, one being Atmos, so I'm assuming that whatever is on the Store is now included.

My earlier picture was a screenshot but I messed it up. I was in a rush. The windows headphones spatial sound should be working, I haven't tried it. But the Atmos is not there yet.

That is the "Dolby Access" atmos app you have to download.

AQ6A3NJ.jpg

Bet it is the same as that Razer 7.1 headphone software. It took over my system and had to unload the driver and reboot the PC to get rid of it. It was good in games but not what I want for music listening.

Well, I think it's downloading the creator update, doing all 3 machines at the same time, hopefully they don't break.
windows10-creator-update.jpg

Bet it is the same as that Razer 7.1 headphone software. It took over my system and had to unload the driver and reboot the PC to get rid of it. It was good in games but not what I want for music listening.
Is it the razer software you uninstalled?

Well, I think it's downloading the creator update, doing all 3 machines at the same time, hopefully they don't break.
View attachment 21302
I installed it on 3 without a hitch. VM, Work, Home. Dang you like tabs. You might like that new feature in Windows Edge where you can put your tabs to the side. I've only used it a little bit.
Plex is the video player that can do Atmos isnt it?

Well, that update wasn't the new creators update, I had to do it manually with the Windows Update Tool, did the 3 machines and my macbook pro.
Only issue I had was that my Plex server doesn't have any peripherals attached to it so I had to get a mouse and hook up a monitor to it to finish the install, couldn't remote into it.

I am not sure if Plex can do Atmos.

Well, that update wasn't the new creators update, I had to do it manually with the Windows Update Tool, did the 3 machines and my macbook pro.
Only issue I had was that my Plex server doesn't have any peripherals attached to it so I had to get a mouse and hook up a monitor to it to finish the install, couldn't remote into it.

I am not sure if Plex can do Atmos.

Early in the day, yesterday, I had 2 updaters. 1 I ran, it said computer up to date. The other I ran, it ... lead me to the Creator's update. I had to fidget a bit with it. When I got home I just used the one that worked at work.

That's the tool I used. Weird it didn't give you Creator's. There was another one that had like 20480 at the end (Not those exact numbers, but pretty close)
No, that is what I used to get the Creators, the image I posted above was when I clicked on Update in Windows Update. Seemed like a large update so I thought it was doing the Creators update.

Oh I see. Windows Update wont work until April 11. And even then it's being rolled out, so not everyone will get it on that day.

Yes. You have to sign up with a Razer account to use it too.
Oh I think I know which one your talking about. It told me free install one time so I did, but it didn't do me any good. I have a bunch of Razer stuff, just not headset.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
upload_2017-4-11_21-21-52.png

App Updated today. Some say they could get it installed. Some say it's a paid feature. I'm staring at this.

1 day trial ... then $14.99

What can you do with it? Nothing that I could find.

1- Maybe watch the Demos from here? https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html (But I can't verify that they are in Atmos)
When playing Dolby_Amaze_Lossess-Atmos-thedigitaltheater.mkv from Dolby, I got no sound out the headphones.
2- It does not allow you to turn Atmos on in Battlefield.
3- When I watch Ninja Turtles-Atmos through Movies and TV app, I cannot select the Atmos Track. (With my Receiver it automatically selects it See Pictures Below).
So what can you do?

Nothing that I can find. I'd like to see if anyone can get something cool working with it. Please let me know. I love Atmos.
xXTwEbx.png

VLfLm5K.png

With Headphones and Atmos for Headphones enabled, and Headphones as Default Sound:
kNlmh7n.png

With Reciever, and Atmos (Both same Ninja Turtles/w Atmos):

IdpYyc1.png

so what does this app do for you? I know atmos content already works without this as I am able to watch atmos test files and bluray backups off my computer as well as battlefield 1 and my receiver automatically kicks into atmos mode as soon as I launch them. Does this app add anything new besides atmos for headphones?

It automatically changes my sample rate from 24bit / 192khz to 16bit / 44.1khz and I didn't notice any real improvements, just sounded like fake surround using my dt880s. I'm sure it would be worthwhile if I had an actual 7.1 setup in my office, but I don't.

so what does this app do for you? I know atmos content already works without this as I am able to watch atmos test files and bluray backups off my computer as well as battlefield 1 and my receiver automatically kicks into atmos mode as soon as I launch them. Does this app add anything new besides atmos for headphones?

To be honest, I don't think it really does anything at the moment. Some say in older games that you can force the audio setup to 5.1 like Diablo 3, they noticed a difference. Like you said, with receiver, all that was Atmos, was and is still Atmos. (It actually still all works if you leave Spatial Surround off).

With Atmos for Headphones, nothing that is Atmos, can you do with Atmos for headphones.
Except watch the Demos.

I don't know if it's broken, or the new way is not implemented yet. One thing I am wondering is, when I see BF1 and Battlefront, it's Atmos/PCM on my receiver. When I watched Ninja Turtles last night, I think it just said Atmos. That's not going to make any difference for now though. We will see when we see a new game/program that supports Atmos I guess.

It automatically changes my sample rate from 24bit / 192khz to 16bit / 44.1khz and I didn't notice any real improvements, just sounded like fake surround using my dt880s. I'm sure it would be worthwhile if I had an actual 7.1 setup in my office, but I don't.

Yeah. I dunno why it went to 44.1 instead of 48. Maybe it chose the lowest of what's supported. All my Atmos content including movies runs at 48kHz.
WQX3gG1.jpg

Last edited:
Good find for anyone having problems with Dolby Access App during Trial or After Purchase:

It doesn't necessary require Dolby content to do "something" for the audio, I tested it myself and it works decently for gaming. The difference is roughly equal to configuring soundcard to use 5.1 speakers vs stereo speakers with headphones (stereo headphones that is) which changes HRTF and the way audio is mixed for games, maybe in the realm of ~25% improved positional sound. I still need more testing but it was quite okay, although not sure if it's worth paying for over simply using 5.1/7.1 speaker setting but at least it doesn't drastically change the audio quality, it's roughly equal to SBX in that sense, perhaps even slightly better. Especially distance perception could be a bit confusing though I thought, a rocket fired from a distance could often sound a bit closer than I was expecting it. I personally also would prefer a bigger soundstage, it felt slightly bit closed in, this was particularly noticeable in the Dolby Atmos demos, the sounds always appeared a bit too close to my head, would have wanted a bit larger "out of your head" experience.

BTW for those wondering what Windows Sonic is which is also listed under surround sound settings, my ears says it must be that Microsoft made this "7.1 speakers with headphones" less confusing as it automatically selects stereo speakers if you select it but to my ears it sounds very similar to if you're using 7.1 speakers instead of stereo speaker setting. Guess it's a way to make it less confusing for end users and especially casuals which would never think of selecting 5.1/7.1 speakers if using headphones and/or make it possible also for users without a soundcard with 5.1/7.1 speaker support to enjoy improved surround cues which is cool IMO as it seriously opens up more options for gamers to be able to pick for example more high quality DACs marketed primarily for music to still be able to give a decent surround experience while gaming too. IMO this was probably the best and most important part of Creators Update. I always picked a soundcard for my computer as a source because of that 5.1/7.1 support but if Windows 10 will allow the channel mixing in the same way regardless of source, that opens up quite a lot of new options for me. Time to give SoundBlaster ZxR a new try that's been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time as it didn't let me use 5.1/7.1 speakers when using headphones.

Last edited:
So I noticed last night that now that non-atmos games are now showing up as atmos on my receiver with this Dolby atmos app installed. I was play WoW last night and couldn't hear any height channel coming from my ceiling speakers but my rear speakers were super easy to hear and worked very well. Does it do any upscaling of the audio to atmos or is it just streaming 5.1 surround even though it says atmos?

So I noticed last night that now that non-atmos games are now showing up as atmos on my receiver with this Dolby atmos app installed. I was play WoW last night and couldn't hear any height channel coming from my ceiling speakers but my rear speakers were super easy to hear and worked very well. Does it do any upscaling of the audio to atmos or is it just streaming 5.1 surround even though it says atmos?

I've played around pretty intensely with the "Atmos for Home Theater". In short, it does nothing and it is buggy.

In long, it's buggy and does nothing. When Spatial is turned off, everything works with Atmos still (That is Atmos content). Battlefield 1, Battlefront, Movies, Movies and Tv windows app, test tones, Audio from Dolby Atmos homepage using Edge. It all works.

When Spatial is turned on. Same results, except with more bugs.
It can report all audio as Atmos to your receiver. The audio has not changed, been upmixed, or changed in anyway. But it says Atmos. We discussed this thoroughly on another forum where someone thought Fallout4 was being upmixed from 2.0 to Atmos without height. In reality the person had just fixed their Fallout4 problem, which supports surround. What your seing is basically this: http://i.imgur.com/AoMyL6x.jpg (But when checked, only L/R speakers had sound, and sound excatly the same. (Because Medieval Total War 2 is only a 2.0 game).

Here is a Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles, Spatial off: http://i.imgur.com/pmRwij9.jpg
Here is my desktop, with nothing running, reporting Atmos: http://i.imgur.com/M4FWMIY.jpg

It does open you up to a bunch of wonderful bugs though. You could loose sound, causing you to have to restart your computer 2-3 times to get it back through your reciever. Turning my TV on changes the name of my sound to Samsung, screwing everything up. I know how to fix it now, it's just annoying. You could have problems purchasing the Dolby Atmos for Headphones, and a lot more.

I speculate we're trying to use something too early. I don't think anything supports the new Windows/Atmos feature. I checked everything I could find. I'm mostly speculating, but I think it could be a way for more developers to support Atmos without having to buy a license. You would already have paid into the license by purchasing a reciever, or you can pay the $15 for the Atmos for Headphones through windows. But that's just speculation for now.

Good to know, so far the only bug I've encountered is switching from atmos to 7.1 in the windows settings goes weird and sets it to stereo. You need to then go back in an change it to 7.1 again and it sticks after that

The "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" mode will only contain height channels if the game / application uses the new spatial sound APIs. If not, the AVR will still receive an Atmos bitstream but only with 7.1 channels at most. This will prevent the AVR from upmixing 7.1 to the height channels, so if you're into that you must leave Windows in 7.1 mode.

Games / applications that natively support Atmos will still work even in 7.1 mode since they essentially behave like a media player which switches the audio device to bitstream mode while they're running. You won't hear background sounds from other applications during this.

Last edited:
Back