Atlis Electric Truck Battery Charges in 13 Minutes

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As part of their effort to make the first fully electric pickup truck on the market, Atlis claims to have broken the charge time record for electric vehicles. The startup charged a 3kwh battery in just 12 minutes and 35 seconds, beating Porsche's time of 15 minutes for an 80 percent charge. Interestingly, the company's truck is built on an open electric platform other companies could use to build anything from "RVs and box trucks to vans and entire fleets." You can download the full press release in the original article.

"This was the key to proving our technology - recharge times for batteries is still one of the largest obstacles to wider adoption of electric vehicles." The prototype battery is a lithium-ion cell with a unique cooling system for optimum temperature management. "Properly managing cell temperatures is still overlooked by many electric vehicle manufacturers but is one of the most critical components to battery performance and longevity. Ignoring temperature management, or just providing mild surface cooling of the cells is insufficient." Hanchett added.

The specs envision long-range and all-wheel drive powertrain:

• Battery options for: 300 miles, 400 miles, or 500 miles (unloaded truck, with no cargo or trailer weights)
So what is it actually hauling 3,000 pounds so it might be actually useful in some commercial roles? 13 minute charge times are actually pretty good if you're operating within a small area, but if it needs to be over and over again during the work day... it can rapidly become worthless. Listing an expected range without any sort of load for a pickup truck is... silly.

I can't imaging the range while towing or hauling is good, at all.
Indeed. 3000 pounds that I mentioned is what I'd consider the bare minimum. The reality is that most of the common pickup trucks these days(f-150, ram 1500, etc.), can pull around 5-9,000(depending on a variety of factors), and while they certainly won't be doing that all the time if it can't even come close to that no company will want to bother other than to have them as a gimmick.

edit: LOL, this pic from their crowdfunding page
desktop_7773bb4f-ea05-4691-ac13-e67918ccaea8.jpg

LOL, NOPE.

The pin weight on that 5'er would exceed any 1/2 ton's capacity. Even if it could handle that cargo capacity the range would be like 50 miles.

really?? a WHOLE 3KWH battery??

the tesla model 3 battery is 75KWH

so 3.. thats flipping tiny

whats the range on that? 10 miles??

In the press release, they claim it was a "scalable" prototype battery, that was small just for testing purposes.

So yeah... I think its an interesting concept, but it's clearly a long way from prime time.

Indeed. 3000 pounds that I mentioned is what I'd consider the bare minimum. The reality is that most of the common pickup trucks these days(f-150, ram 1500, etc.), can pull around 5-9,000(depending on a variety of factors), and while they certainly won't be doing that all the time if it can't even come close to that no company will want to bother other than to have them as a gimmick.

View attachment 113245

LOL, NOPE.

I think my trailer weighs more than 3,000 lbs ;)

I think my trailer weighs more than 3,000 lbs ;)
Oh definitely, but like I said, there are commercial businesses that can get away with 3,000. But the trailer in that picture they have, driven out to BFE, and then leaving the lights on in the render of the truck... haha.

Just like the phone manufacturers, they just don't get it. We don't want faster charge times, we want more capacity between charges. I'd rather plug it in to charge 8 hours overnight and be able to drive all day on a bigger, long lasting battery.

really?? a WHOLE 3KWH battery??

the tesla model 3 battery is 75KWH

so 3.. thats flipping tiny

whats the range on that? 10 miles??

So fun when people post before they think

The Tesla batteries, like other events batteries, are made of many smaller batteries (cells) linked in series and/or parrellel. The Model 3's battery is made up of 2100 smaller cells for example.

As the article explains too this prototype is all about heat transfer away from the cells. This prototype will just need to be scaled

Just like the phone manufacturers, they just don't get it. We don't want faster charge times, we want more capacity between charges. I'd rather plug it in to charge 8 hours overnight and be able to drive all day on a bigger, long lasting battery.

While I generally agree, they probably don't have much of an option. You'd just be driving your battery around without cargo.

Personally, I think there is an opportunity for a hybrid truck. Electric motor torque is a force multiplier for hauling cargo.

All electric? Maybe like, for air port useage. Or warehouse.

15 minute charge on paper: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
15 minute charge in real life: "There is no way I'm doing this over and over..."

First 5 minute charge on paper: "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
First 5 minute charge in real life:
X9VzAt.gif

When an electric motor setup can give one of these a 200 mile daily range, I'm in.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzulrbCKMzfItwkdFalizh6aro0boCodCOzNagYvzkhJS5oUCm.jpg

In the press release, they claim it was a "scalable" prototype battery, that was small just for testing purposes.

So yeah... I think its an interesting concept, but it's clearly a long way from prime time.
So they don't have anything then. Just bullshit to try and get investments. They will go no where with it like every monthly battery break through claims.

It will never see primetime. Either it will not be a viable option or it will get bought up and Sat apon.

View attachment 113245

LOL, NOPE.

Here is something I find funny. Just last week I was helping clean out a lot by the river (family land) of a trailer similar to the one in that picture (but a bit smaller than the one in the picture) as well as a large pontoon and a trailer with various items on it including two refrigerators. All of it had to be moved out immediately due to a lot of rain in the area causing the river to be flooded. The round trip is a bit over 40 miles and we had to make three trips due to having three trailers and used a 2003 F250 with 6L diesel. There is no way in hell the truck pictured could have done that. As an electric it would have choked and died without enough juice and needed to be recharged at least once. Travel trailers such as the one pictured are fucking heavy and not easy to haul. Any battery in an electric truck would fast discharge pulling something like that and we're only talking about the first load the truck would need to do.

Basically, I say electric trucks are stupid. The amount of batteries you would need to haul along with the truck to make it even halfway usable would make the truck practically useless for towing just from the weight alone.

My quick and dirty calculations show about 63 amps @ 240 V to get that charge rate. That assumes a 0 to full charge at 100% efficiency.

I can't see it being practical for hauling the travel trailer pictured but for how most city folks use their sedan replacement pickups, might just work.

15 minute charge on paper: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
15 minute charge in real life: "There is no way I'm doing this over and over..."

First 5 minute charge on paper: "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
First 5 minute charge in real life:
View attachment 113258

I'm pretty sure you won't be STABBING YOUR BATTERIES with a kitchen knife when charging....just sayin'

The Tesla batteries, like other events batteries, are made of many smaller batteries (cells) linked in series and/or parrellel. The Model 3's battery is made up of 2100 smaller cells for example.

As the article explains too this prototype is all about heat transfer away from the cells. This prototype will just need to be scaled
But what is the expected range for a 15 minute charge for these pickup trucks? It's a fair question.

80% charge is pretty misleading. It's that last 20% that takes forever and where most of your real range actually is. I want to know how many real world miles not under extremely optimistic conditions that actually is. My guess is pretty fucking low.

I'm pretty sure you won't be STABBING YOUR BATTERIES with a kitchen knife when charging....just sayin'

Right but watching someone plug their car in and then explode isn't as easy to find on Giphy right now..........you gotta use your imagination, man!

My quick and dirty calculations show about 63 amps @ 240 V to get that charge rate. That assumes a 0 to full charge at 100% efficiency.

I can't see it being practical for hauling the travel trailer pictured but for how most city folks use their sedan replacement pickups, might just work.

It's the El Camino of Teslas? (Except not a Tesla)

View attachment 113245

LOL, NOPE.
Hmmm can't put my finger on it.... but kind of looks like a photoshop job :D

Like seriously, you can't have an actual truck and people at a campsite?!

But as others have said, 3kWh battery... Tesla Superchargers can charge 85kWh batteries to 80% in 40 minutes... so to scale that downward [ 3kWh / (85kWh x .8) ] x 40 minutes = 1.76 minutes per 3kWh of charge... so yeah... this truck bragging about 3kWh in 12+ minutes? Just wow.

I always buy electric vehicles so I can drive out into nature and burn a bunch of wood to crudely heat up some water.

Hey those guys are trying to get laid...give em a break. Its probably the only chance they have ;)

Well this one is also a "battery pack" so I'm guessing it's made of many smaller batteries as well linked in series/parallel combinations. So they can charge a relatively small battery fast, as you said the this needs to be scaled up, and with 300-500 range capacities (claimed) it needs to be scaled up a lot. Also the biggest problem with charging fast at these scales isn't the batteries themselves, it's delivering the power safely, 1kWh in 12 minutes @ 240V requires 20.8 amps, so multiply that by 100, 2080 amps to charge 100kWh in 12 minutes... yeah that ain't happening, which is where we dial back on the time, charge in 1 hour... 417 amps, or half that if you manage to get a 480V charger (which in itself has issues with high voltage), still fairly crazy high for the thickness of the conductor that's needed for it. And ultimately you can have super mythical batteries with unheard of storage capacities and ultra fast charging capabilities (at small scale), but when you get to "car range" type of power requirements the current gets crazy high fast, and charging fast becomes impractical when you need crazy large wires.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Well this one is also a "battery pack" so I'm guessing it's made of many smaller batteries as well linked in series/parallel combinations. So they can charge a relatively small battery fast, as you said the this needs to be scaled up, and with 300-500 range capacities (claimed) it needs to be scaled up a lot. Also the biggest problem with charging fast at these scales isn't the batteries themselves, it's delivering the power safely, 1kWh in 12 minutes @ 240V requires 20.8 amps, so multiply that by 100, 2080 amps to charge 100kWh in 12 minutes... yeah that ain't happening, which is where we dial back on the time, charge in 1 hour... 417 amps, or half that if you manage to get a 480V charger (which in itself has issues with high voltage), still fairly crazy high for the thickness of the conductor that's needed for it. And ultimately you can have super mythical batteries with unheard of storage capacities and ultra fast charging capabilities (at small scale), but when you get to "car range" type of power requirements the current gets crazy high fast, and charging fast becomes impractical when you need crazy large wires.
Yeah, no. At least in my part of the country, the residential distribution system is not designed for anything close to that level. In an industrial or heavy commercial area, sure.

Next headline: "Fast charging vehicles spontaneously bursting into flames, film at 11".

It will never see primetime. Either it will not be a viable option or it will get bought up and Sat apon.

It seems their "breakthrough" is simply temperature management. More effective temperature management adds weight and space needed for the batteries. Yeah... most likely not going to happen.

We have a new policy to start buying electric vehicles at work. We bought one, so far. There are almost no options for electric trucks. Period. Any news of an electric truck is good news to me. Most of our fleet is pickup trucks, but we could get by with medium sized vans too.

Some of the "truck guys" have SERIOUS ISSUES with the size and capabilities of their vehicles. One of our trucks at work can tow over 10,000lbs and it has never towed anything. It can haul thousands of pounds in the back. It hauls 500lbs sometimes. It gets about 15MPG and it looks like it does a lot of work, but it doesn't. It's pure ego. The same guys that drive it refuse to drive an electric vehicle or even a hybrid.

We have a new policy to start buying electric vehicles at work. We bought one, so far. There are almost no options for electric trucks. Period. Any news of an electric truck is good news to me. Most of our fleet is pickup trucks, but we could get by with medium sized vans too.

Some of the "truck guys" have SERIOUS ISSUES with the size and capabilities of their vehicles. One of our trucks at work can tow over 10,000lbs and it has never towed anything. It can haul thousands of pounds in the back. It hauls 500lbs sometimes. It gets about 15MPG and it looks like it does a lot of work, but it doesn't. It's pure ego. The same guys that drive it refuse to drive an electric vehicle or even a hybrid.

Now that's just absurd. Why is the company not clamping down on that sort of crap? It doesn't matter if they don't want to drive a hybrid, but to think they need an F-350 or some other equivalent. The company should put a stop to that crap just based on fuel costs alone. Unless they need the bed size due to bulk or something they should be in a transit connect cargo van, nissan nv200, or equivalent.

Now that's just absurd. Why is the company not clamping down on that sort of crap? It doesn't matter if they don't want to drive a hybrid, but to think they need an F-350 or some other equivalent. The company should put a stop to that crap just based on fuel costs alone. Unless they need the bed size due to bulk or something they should be in a transit connect cargo van, nissan nv200, or equivalent.

Or heck, even something like a Colorado or Ridgeline.

they should be in a transit connect cargo van, nissan nv200, or equivalent.

We had a Transit Connect in another department. They put a lot of miles on it and hated it (too slow). It worked though. It depends on the attitude of managers to make changes. A lot of the older guys would have already retired if health insurance was cheaper. No joke.

When I said "truck guys", I meant truck guys in general and not specifically our truck guys.

I personally would like a small/mid size electric truck for home or work. I don't need a jacked up 4x4 monster truck though. 2WD with street tires is fine.

We had a Transit Connect in another department. They put a lot of miles on it and hated it (too slow). It worked though. It depends on the attitude of managers to make changes. A lot of the older guys would have already retired if health insurance was cheaper. No joke.

When I said "truck guys", I meant truck guys in general and not specifically our truck guys.

I personally would like a small/mid size electric truck for home or work. I don't need a jacked up 4x4 monster truck though. 2WD with street tires is fine.
"too slow" lol, of course.

As far as the "truck guys" in general... yeah there's quite a few sub 15mpg bro-dozer pavement princesses in my area as well. I'll never understand wanting to daily a vehicle like that. They're a bitch to park, they don't handle worth crap, out here where gas is normally $4/gal. or more to hell with commuting in it.

"too slow" lol, of course.

As far as the "truck guys" in general... yeah there's quite a few sub 15mpg bro-dozer pavement princesses in my area as well. I'll never understand wanting to daily a vehicle like that. They're a bitch to park, they don't handle worth crap, out here where gas is normally $4/gal. or more to hell with commuting in it.

Exactly! Dont get me wrong, I get crazy weekend cars, but whats the point in DDing a lifted monster?

That's actually one advantage of electric cars I'm looking forward to. You don't have to worry about stuffing the front suspension under a combustion engine, which leaves plenty of room for giant A arms without jacking up the rest of the car till it blots out the sun.

Back