ATI's X1000 Series: Extended Performance Testing (AnandTech)

IndyJoe said:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2556

Pretty interesting extended performance test. Shows some good scaling for ATI with AA enabled.

Sorry if this is a repost.

Price aside, ATI's flagship card had a really good showing on these tests. I would like to see results from other reliable websites to see if these results can be collaborated. Its a shame that the XT will be difficult to find for a while but hopefully by the time I'm ready for an overhaul, the cards will be available, and affordable.

Yeah but what is another month after waiting 5?

I don't play at those insane resolutions yet anyway. Gotta by the monitor before I worry about providing the native res. For now my X800XL is good for me.

I find that to be no suprise, the x1800xt has 10gbs more memory bandwitdth...and at those high res/settings that really really helps.

IndyJoe said:

I don't play at those insane resolutions yet anyway. Gotta by the monitor before I worry about providing the native res. For now my X800XL is good for me.

You mean whats another 3 months after waitng 5 dont you.and be ready to fork over some duckies for it too.

I'll also be interested to see if the first wave of X1800XL cards come with 1400mhz memory (underclocked to 1000mhz). If so, even if the core can't be jacked up the memory bandwidth should give a very healthy boost to the XL scores.

IndyJoe said:

I agree with you. But it'll probably be another 3-6 months before upgrade for me anyway. I'm not as bothered by the wait as CMAN is, he must want one really bad right now :p

Wow at the most graphic intensive settings (2048x1536 4xaa) There is only a 3 FPS difference between the X1800XT and the GTX. (In D3D games, in OpenGL games NVidia completely dominates ATi)

Banko said:
Wow at the most graphic intensive settings (2048x1536 4xaa) There is only a 3 FPS difference between the X1800XT and the GTX. (In D3D games, in OpenGL games NVidia completely dominates ATi)

On that point, what good OpenGL games are coming out in the next 6 months (besides possibly Prey)?

OldBoy said:
On that point, what good OpenGL games are coming out in the next 6 months (besides possibly Prey)?
Quake 4, ET: Quake Wars, anything based on the Doom 3 Engine really. Though you did miss my part that it was only a 3 FPS difference when the CPU isn't a bottleneck. Like anyone will even tell the difference.

Banko said:
Quake 4, ET: Quake Wars, anything based on the Doom 3 Engine really. Though you did miss my part that it was only a 3 FPS difference when the CPU isn't a bottleneck. Like anyone will even tell the difference.

Thanks for that.

Banko said:

So this is domination: doom nv 35.7 / ati 27.6, and this is only 3 frames: sc:ct nv 27 / ati 34.9 :rolleyes:

Spank said:
So this is domination: doom nv 35.7 / ati 27.6, and this is only 3 frames: sc:ct nv 27 / ati 34.9 :rolleyes:
Okay then even though Riddick isn't 2048x1536 it's ATi with 71.4 and NVidia with 105.1. Hrm I wonder. Also did you bother to look at any other game other then Splinter Cell? Didn't think so. Though the Doom 3 Engine is more important because it will be in use in more then one game, while splinter cell's would not be.

Banko said:
Okay then even though Riddick isn't 2048x1536 it's ATi with 71.4 and NVidia with 105.1.
Heh, in Chronicles of Riddick even my 6800gt beats the x1800xl. :p

ATI's cards would be totally awesome if they were CHEAPER than Nividias cards. The X1800XT is only a few FPS ahead of the GTX..... with a massive price differents.

Whats the point?

V99 said:
ATI's cards would be totally awesome if they were CHEAPER than Nividias cards. The X1800XT is only a few FPS ahead of the GTX..... with a massive price differents.

Whats the point?

Uhmmm your looking at MSRP vrs the lowest price on the street. Dont you think that when the x1800xt cards come on they will not fall in price???

Then dont forget the x1800xt has x2 the memory on it...that has already showup to be usefull in games like COD2. I am pretty dam shure than when the 512mb GTX come out they will have simular prices...

Jbirney said:
Uhmmm your looking at MSRP vrs the lowest price on the street. Dont you think that when the x1800xt cards come on they will not fall in price???

Newegg has the XL's listed $20 over MSRP. XT's will be even harder to get when released and they will probably have $50-150 premium over MSRP.

Yeah they will fall in prcie but not until supply picks up. My guess is supply wont ease until 06, which by then Nvidia will have released the 512mb GTX in LARGE QTY. ;)

J-Mag said:
Newegg has the XL's listed $20 over MSRP. XT's will be even harder to get when released and they will probably have $50-150 premium over MSRP.

Yeah they will fall in prcie but not until supply picks up. My guess is supply wont ease until 06, which by then Nvidia will have released the 512mb GTX in LARGE QTY. ;)

fyi, that's only one of two instances of selling over MSRP. The other three instances are at or below MSRP.

The price gouging is killing ATI here. Newegg is trying to sell the X1800XL (compettitor to 7800GT) for $480, while it's compettetion can be had for $350. I dunno about you, but the $130 premium of the X1800XL is not worth a few frames.

CMAN said:
You mean whats another 3 months after waitng 5 dont you.and be ready to fork over some duckies for it too.
I don't think that we should be assuming anymore that ATI will be doing a paper launch of their X1800XT. I mean, haven't they proven anything by having their X1800XL readily available in stores just two days after launch?

Also, as for price; I'm sure that the cost of the X1000 series will fall very quickly. The Laws of Supply and Demand dictates this: "The price and quantity of a given product will be inevitably drawn to the point on a graph where the lines of supply and demand intersect, Ceteris Paribus". In this case, The ATI cards will be quickly drawn to an equilibrium price where they will be competitive with Nvidia.

exactly. Its not that the cards are really bad, they are somewhat crippled, but if the X1600XT was at 6600GT pricing, I might sell my 6600GT and get that instead since the X1600XT card is alot faster in the main game im playing, BF2.

But 100 bux more than a 6600GT? i think i'll stay put.

^ Yeah the MSRP for the X1600s I dont like but the X1800s I think have an ok MSRP. Of course right now it seems like ATi knows what to do and they have been quite honest about what happened with Supply Problems in this line (Revisions and Redos) so I think its safe to say ATi is safe supply wise. People are willing to jump on anything though.

Banko said:

Don´t mean to sound like a jerk, but do you just tell this stuff because you like writing? Not like we haven´t read this stuff about 100 times in this forum alrdy. Can´t get anymore pro nvidiot than this.

Is this somekinda e-penis tournament, where you have to convert as many newbies as possible on your side? 7800GTX costs less, its faster, you can buy it right away, it has SM3.0 fully supported!! Can you stop now?

How did Anandtech get BF2 results for 1920x1200? BF2 doesn't support widescreen resolutions...

from what I've heard, BF2 only stretches the res, not providing true widescreen. I've been watching the BF2 thread on widescreengaming forums for a while. No matter what you do, the image always gets stretched and the FOV is always screwed up, therefore NOT true widescreen.

Indeed, this is somewhat true. However, a workaround has been found where you edit the FOV so such an extent that the stretching is less apparent. I don't notice it at all anymore (42" plasma, 1920x1080).

True, but then the vertical res. gets cropped on the top and bottom. It would be nice to know how Anandtech got 1920x1200 working on BF2, unless he made a mistake and meant 1920x1440.. Sent Derek an email asking how they got it to work. I'll let you guys know what he answers.

Sparrow_69 said:
True, but then the vertical res. gets cropped on the top and bottom. It would be nice to know how Anandtech got 1920x1200 working on BF2, unless he made a mistake and meant 1920x1440.. Sent Derek an email asking how they got it to work. I'll let you guys know what he answers.
That'd be great. Please do.

Back