ATi Woes (x850 xt AGP not recognized)

dorkbert

Limp Gawd
I recently tried to install an x850 xt AGP into a DELL 400SC running XP SP2. After installing the latest driver downloaded from ATi website, the card still shows up under "unknown hardware" in device manger. Odd thing is, GF6600 GT, Radeon 8500, GF3 all works fine.

Update : Finally got annoyed enough to just insert the WinXP CD and do a repair (which in effect is a pseudo reinstall) and don't you know it, problem "went away." After the repair, x850 XT showed up in device manager under Display Adapter instead of Unknown Device. Install the driver off ATi website and all is well.

Moral of the story - Reinstall fix a lot of problem you know about, and a lot of problem you don't know about. Sad that we have to reinstall to get a piece of hardware to work.

Borgschulze said:
Uninstall all old drivers? and if there is, disable onboard.

Thanks for all the suggestions. To clearify -

a. Before installing the card, I ran driver cleaner already. That said, I ran it again after the card wasn't being recognized. Still no dice.
b. The system is being powered by PC Power and Cooling 425w PS, so I don't think lack of sufficient power is the problem.
c. Bad card is unlikely, since this is the 2nd ATi x8x0 AGP card already (the first one being an x800 GTO that also exhibits the same problem) The likely hood of both card being bad from two different vendors is rather low.
d. System boots up in VGA mode, so SOMETHING is working, just that ATi driver won't load.

Back