ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

Marvelous said:
The review was good but people really want to know how far these things overclock...

I don't know why nobody who reviewed these cards didn't use a third party overclocking software to see... :(
umm... Overdrive probably has the same functionality, I'm sure if [H] found it lacking, they would use other software. Or they're LAZY!!! (not ;) )

One sexy card...

it'll be supported in new revisions of atitool; i certainly wouldn't trust the cats' for a cut and dry overclock ceiling.

the card is already clocked very quick... maybe there'll be a circuit to connect and a bios to flash for a pipeline upgrade instead :D

i'll take 4, if that's the case again.

snaggletooth said:
it'll be supported in new revisions of atitool; i certainly wouldn't trust the cats' for a cut and dry overclock ceiling.

the card is already clocked very quick... maybe there'll be a circuit to connect and a bios to flash for a pipeline upgrade instead :D

i'll take 4, if that's the case again.

YES forgot about that. if they can unlock i dont care if software voltages dont work,

Yashu said:
This is the first ATI card in a long time that I would seriously consider.

If I was to move to PCIe *today* This may be the card I would buy.

QFT. Finally ATI have released a video card that I would buy if I were in the market to upgrade today. I was going to go nVidia when their DX10 cards came out but now I will wait for the ATI cards. Well done guys. Thanks to [H] for the review too :)

where can i buy this card? quick before nov 7, im going to geforce lan 3 where they will unveil g80 and i also wanna buy a $600 dac for my audio setup. They have a sale on you guessed it... nov 7

Your gonna buy an ATI card to go to an nVidia event?!? Shame! Shame! Shame! :p

Beauty of a card with an awesome price to match. It's a shame that we prolly won't get the GeCube version with the pelts. THAT card is a beast.

Zoogle said:
Your gonna buy an ATI card to go to an nVidia event?!? Shame! Shame! Shame! :p
Heh, I'll either be going with two of these or a single x1950xtx, and I'll be getting the special sli club gift.
biggrin.gif

I hope they don't stone me.

Brent_Justice said:
a typo, fixed

thanks
anytime, though the text below (in the review) still says 16x12
the [H said:
review of the x1950pro]Half Life 2: Episode 1 was by far one of the largest performance differences we saw between X1950 Pro CrossFire and 7900 GS OC SLI. In this game we were able to take the Radeon X1950 Pro in CrossFire up to 1600x1200 with 4X Quality Adaptive AA and 16X high quality AF. This means all alpha textures were receiving full level 4X supersampling. With the BFGTech GeForce 7900 GS OC in SLI we were able to do 1600x1200 with 4X TR MSAA and 16X AF. This means that no alpha textures were receiving supersampling, only multisampling. There was also a large difference in the feel of the game performance wise. The Radeon X1950 Pro in CrossFire simply felt like it had higher framerates and smoother performance

So, anyone seen these in the wild yet? I just bought an X850XT to upgrade from my 6600gt, but man...this looks nice... :D Internal CrossFire... *drooooool*

Dan_D said:
I love the performance, not the stupid dongle which looks rediculous hanging off the back of my machine.

Because you stare longingly at the back of your pc where all the other cables come out of...
:rolleyes: get a grip, the dongle isn't the ass you all make it out to be. What is one more cable when it is already surrounded with them?

Yes it's is nice they are listening to ppl and doing the 'cleaner' method, but seriously, to say the dongle is ugly/ridiculous is being ridiculous IMO. What next, all the cables plugged into the back of my rig are ridiculous.....get them out I can't stand looking at them....

Only time I ever see cables behind my rig is when I pull the focker from under the desk to upgrade.....I'd imagine that's the same for a hell of a lot of others.....so please, why is it such a problem?

However, the dropping of the Mastercard is the bigger improvement in my eyes. If R600 follows this lead then I'll be seriously tempted. Really can't justify paying extra for a 'Master'....

Tigerblade said:
What next, all the cables plugged into the back of my rig are ridiculous.....get them out I can't stand looking at them....

i hate all cables, they are all rediculous.. they all need to be done away with... the less the better, more and its just making things worse. that cable wasnt needed in the first place.

and i did a quick reference to h's x1950xtx review and it looks like two x1950 pros are faster.

Jason711 said:
i hate all cables, they are all rediculous.. they all need to be done away with... the less the better, more and its just making things worse. that cable wasnt needed in the first place.

But what does one more matter? It's hardly the end of the world :rolleyes:

Some ppl need to get some perspective on things......

I keep trying to find out in your review how much noise the HSF does/doesn't generate. You mention on the first page that it's "quieter", but I couldn't find any more thorough opinion on it. What's the noise level on this card under idle/load conditions?

OK. I'm ready. When can I get one?
I noticed the review didn't mention if this was a hard or soft launch.

What is the height x width of this card?

I'm thinking of putting it into a new SFF system
and space is a factor...

ItsTooHot said:
OK. I'm ready. When can I get one?
I noticed the review didn't mention if this was a hard or soft launch.

I'm guessing this is not a hard launch, because I can't find any in some of the major e-tailers...

Okay, so thankfully this doesn't seem like a hard launch cause I've been thinking about it all day and I think I'm going to pass on it. If it's going for $200 why shouldn't I pay $50 more for a 7950GT and get more performance?

CrimandEvil said:
Okay, so thankfully this doesn't seem like a hard launch cause I've been thinking about it all day and I think I'm going to pass on it. If it's going for $200 why shouldn't I pay $50 more for a 7950GT and get more performance?

well we can apply to that alot of things. and then when ur set on the 250 dollar price point ur gonna say why not another 50 for even more performance . and then so on and so on.
its never ending! :D

tvdang7 said:
well we can apply to that alot of things. and then when ur set on the 250 dollar price point ur gonna say why not another 50 for even more performance . and then so on and so on.
its never ending! :D
Not really, that more applies to waiting for hardware to be released.

PRIME1 said:
Nope for the same reasons (almost atleast) for why I'm not considering a 1900XT:
1.) No HDCP. This I really need.
2.) Not a single slot solution (although I'm going to water cool it).
3.) (And this is for the 1900XT) Dongle Crossfire equals "no."
4.) (for the 1900XT) I don't have to find a stupid Master X1900 for multi GPU fun.

The card I get now will go into my HTPC later on down the roard when both ATI and NV have a DX10 card and Vista is actually stable enough to use (like when SP1 comes out for it).

Tigerblade said:
Because you stare longingly at the back of your pc where all the other cables come out of...
:rolleyes: get a grip, the dongle isn't the ass you all make it out to be. What is one more cable when it is already surrounded with them?

Yes it's is nice they are listening to ppl and doing the 'cleaner' method, but seriously, to say the dongle is ugly/ridiculous is being ridiculous IMO. What next, all the cables plugged into the back of my rig are ridiculous.....get them out I can't stand looking at them....

Only time I ever see cables behind my rig is when I pull the focker from under the desk to upgrade.....I'd imagine that's the same for a hell of a lot of others.....so please, why is it such a problem?

However, the dropping of the Mastercard is the bigger improvement in my eyes. If R600 follows this lead then I'll be seriously tempted. Really can't justify paying extra for a 'Master'....

I pointed it out because it is a minor gripe. It isn't a huge deal to me. Transporting the machine, and removing the dongle, or attaching it is kind of a pain the way it fits on the back of the Crossfire Edition card.

I don't like it, but it isn't the end of the world.

The thing I like the most is not having to wait on or fine Crossfire Edition cards.

Dan_D said:
I pointed it out because it is a minor gripe. It isn't a huge deal to me. Transporting the machine, and removing the dongle, or attaching it is kind of a pain the way it fits on the back of the Crossfire Edition card.

I don't like it, but it isn't the end of the world.

Fair do's, but some ppl will not buy xfire just because of the dongle and I think that is just plain crazy.

Dan_D said:
The thing I like the most is not having to wait on or fine Crossfire Edition cards.

Thats is the real news IMO, Mastercard/Crossfire edition was and is a total rip off.

CrimandEvil said:
3.) (And this is for the 1900XT) Dongle Crossfire equals "no."

WHY!!!!!!

I really don't get ppl's mental block/attitude towards this :confused: Can someone please give me an answer as to why they don't like another cable, yes just another one amongst the throng behind your rig that you hardly ever see?

I guess I don't get behind my pc as much as you guys.......

My PC sits out on my desk; I take great care in hiding all of the cable mess so having a honking big cable sitting around the back doesn't exactly help with minimizing cable clutter.

Not to mention that I don't want to bother getting a Crossfire Master card, that whole concept was just retarded. Or the fact that I lose a DVI connection if I every decide to connect up four moniters (yeah, this is actually a potential issue for me). Actually a lot if has to do with the whole stupid need for a Master card and less then the dongle; having to see the dongle each time I walk into my room would just remind me of that.

Either way it doesn't matter, the X1900 XT doesn't support HDCP so it's utter no use to me.

Brent Justice said:
In fact, this will not be the only video card being announced this month from ATI either.

Is this a wink-wink nudge-nudge conformation of this? :D

On a lesser note, isn't it a little odd to be testing a $200 videocard with a $750 CPU, and $300 of RAM, and a $200 Motherboard? I would like to see how this card runs with a $200 (or less) CPU and a gig of vanilla RAM.

It removes everything else as a possible bottleneck so that you can tell how good the card really is.

True, but it also makes sense to me to test it on a cheaper system since that's were this card will end up for most buyers. In fact, I am considering this card for my "budget build" which I am trying to keep under $750 or so. My inclination is to save money on the processor, etc. and put more into the video card for gaming purposes.

Also, they reviewed the x1600xt on a midrange system even though most would consider this a low-end card. Here.

ah, finially, a mature Crossfire.

my return to ATi products will be quite glorious!

did anyone else go nVidia when the origional Crossfire came out?

Cyrinn said:
it also makes sense to me to test it on a cheaper system since that's were this card will end up for most buyers.

Also, they reviewed the x1600xt on a midrange system even though most would consider this a low-end card.

They might've done it differently in that past example, but I prefer seeing it on a higher-end system to minimize the bottlenecks, as suggested. I've got more than ganglia for a brain, and I therefore really like seeing how a card does unhindered. From there I can roughly figure how it'll scale down in to my own system, and then also know for in the future when I upgrade other components how it will fit in to the big picture in allowing an increase in gaming performance.. (Or the lack of an increase, which wouldn't be known if it were tested on a mid-range system with a CPU or RAM or even crappy HD bottleneck)

They could test on both systems, but of course, there's only 24 hours in Brent's day, and there's also other websites, all of which do it in their own way, none of which has the time/money to do reviews every way. Keep up the good work guys. =)

Tigerblade said:
But what does one more matter? It's hardly the end of the world :rolleyes:

Some ppl need to get some perspective on things......

maybe some ppl just dont like cables...
;)

Zipzoomfly has the cards at $199.99 to $249.99 w/ free shipping and Prey game. That is sweet deal. :cool: Sucks that they don't ship to Barbados... :(

lt_shiro said:
Zipzoomfly has the cards at $199.99 to $249.99 w/ free shipping and Prey game. That is sweet deal. :cool:
Personally I think $230 is too much considering how much more performace an extra $30 will get you but, damn, I'm still mightly tempted to get this one. I just love that blue PSB. :)

Heres hoping that someone releases one in black. :cool:

lt_shiro said:
Zipzoomfly has the cards at $199.99 to $249.99 w/ free shipping and Prey game. That is sweet deal. :cool: Sucks that they don't ship to Barbados... :(
None of those seem to be in stock.

I am in the process of researching the parts for my new system. With that in mind, I have a question about using the ATI Radeon X1950 Pro in crossfire. I would like to start with one, and add a second later.
The bridge connectors look like they would be fairly short, requiring the two cards to be in adjacent slots on the MB. I wonder if they would be long enough to use on the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe I am considring. The MB has two slots between where the two video cards would have to be placed if I am interpreting things correctly from looking at the pictures. I wonder if the bridge connectors would reach this far.
Thanks for any replies.

BTW: I am upgrading an Asus A7N8X MB, Amd Barton 2500+ (clocked as about 3200+), and a G-Force FX5900.

Back