ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB OEM 229.49 after BCB

Again in the same thread: this.

You don't like OEM warranties? Suck it up or buy an extended warranty.

Maybe you missed the part where it was advertised with a one year warranty?

I'm sure almost no one who purchased it knowing that it came with a one year warranty would be upset if it actually had a one year warranty...

I'm sure almost no one who purchased it knowing that it came with a one year warranty would be upset if it actually had a one year warranty...

Absolutely not, I bought it knowing that for the price I was taking a risk but I had a warranty. After finding out what they did, I was pissed and they heard about it.

Oh no, not missing it at all. Just not the end of the world, imho (then again, it was OOS before I got the change to bite). If you can't talk them into extending the warranty, then you either return the card to buy a separate one.

I bought it then they said backorder. Now they're saying 2 weeks and it will ship. Hmm.

I ordered 2. One shipped right away, the other went on back order. Luckily a day later the other shipped too.

it seemed like you thought it was OK for the retailer to change the terms of the sale after you purchased it.

Nah, that portion of my comment is more aimed at the people freaking about a 3 month warranty period. The bait-and-switch is worthy of a return if you are pissed, but the warranty itself isn't a huge issue to worry about.

warranty is back to 12 months on the website :D

if its legit than i feel bad for you guys that already returned yours.

warranty is back to 12 months on the website :D

if its legit than i feel bad for you guys that already returned yours.

Yes its legit. CompUSA changed it after hearing everyone's complaints. I was fine with the 3 month warranty, having it back to 12 months makes it even better :p. Has anyone flashed their bios and overclocked their card yet?

Last edited:
Yes its legit. CompUSA changed it after hearing everyone's complaints. I was fine with the 3 month warranty, having it back to 12 months makes it even better :p. Has anyone flashed their bios and overclocked their card yet?

props to compusa for doing the right thing.

also i just literally just got my cards a few minutes ago.

pics:

cimg0358.jpg

cimg0357.jpg

cimg0359h.jpg

each card came with 2 x xfire bridge and 3 x dvi - vga adapter.

now to install :D

props to compusa for doing the right thing.

also i just literally just got my cards a few minutes ago.

pics:

cimg0358.jpg

cimg0357.jpg

cimg0359h.jpg

each card came with 2 x xfire bridge and 3 x dvi - vga adapter.

now to install :D

Geez... Can't wait to get my cards. They are arriving on Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wish I didn't spend the extra 10$ on a crossfire bridge. ::p

bad news :( one of the cards is DOA.

first sign of trouble was the struggle to get it to boot. took like 5 restarts before i was finally able to get on windows. there was no error or anything. just wouldn't boot.

so then i installed the drivers which went without a hitch. decided to run 3dmark06 to make sure it was running okay and it started flickering and artifacting before it finally crashed. thought maybe the new 10.3 drivers were bad so i went to the 10.2 and same shit... 3dmark would artifact and crash. tried again with furmark and it crashed again. and now it won't boot at all. tried on 3 different pc's as well and no go.

tested my 8800GTX and my brothers 4870 and they both worked fine on all the pc's...

this sucks :mad:

Yes its legit. CompUSA changed it after hearing everyone's complaints. I was fine with the 3 month warranty, having it back to 12 months makes it even better .

Now the question is. Who covers the additional 9 months over the 90-day warranty that FUSION provides?

I called CompUSA (because FUSION is closed) and they told me FUSION would cover the whole 12 months, but they didn't sound like they really knew. I'll call FUSION in the morning and find out more for you guys.

yeah i tried calling fusion right now to get an RMA but they were closed. gonna call tommorow and see what happens as well.

got compusa to send me a prepaid shipping label (for return) just in case though.

first sign of trouble was the struggle to get it to boot. took like 5 restarts before i was finally able to get on windows. there was no error or anything. just wouldn't boot.

so then i installed the drivers which went without a hitch. decided to run 3dmark06 to make sure it was running okay and it started flickering and artifacting before it finally crashed. thought maybe the new 10.3 drivers were bad so i went to the 10.2 and same shit... 3dmark would artifact and crash. tried again with furmark and it crashed again. and now it won't boot at all. tried on 3 different pc's as well and no go.

tested my 8800GTX and my brothers 4870 and they both worked fine on all the pc's...

You made me go check my HD5850 as I had just sat it on a shelf for the time being. It works no problems. Bad luck mate.

Do OEM cards use lower quality components or something? Other than retail packaging and the design on the card, what's the difference between these OEM cards and the retail versions of these same cards?

Do OEM cards use lower quality components or something? Other than retail packaging and the design on the card, what's the difference between these OEM cards and the retail versions of these same cards?

No cool looking box, no cool looking sticker, no free games, and a shorter warranty.

Everything else is reference design and should be good to go :)

now if only they were back in stock.

Sorry to heat that :(. Hopefully both of my cards come in one peace.

Tracking eta to my residence in California is for tomorrow. Will check in within 24 hours.

Oh geez, CompUSA isn't any help at all.

So I called FUSION this morning to ask them about what CompUSA's site says about the 12mo warranty and they told me they were unaware of CompUSA changing the warranty back to 12mo. They were extremely helpful and did say that even though we only officially had a 90 day warranty, if we needed any help at all past that 90 days to go ahead and give them a call and they'd try to help us out. BIG +1 TO FUSION!!!

After speaking with FUSION I called CompUSA to see what their side of the story would be. This phone rep said all OEM products are only covered by the distributor warranties, and that the 12mo on their website is a mistake. She did say that we could return the cards and CompUSA would pay return shipping since it was advertised as having a 12mo warranty when we bought it even though it doesn't.

Hope it doesn't crap out < 12 months, and try to get Fusion to honor a warranty if it does. Guess that's all you can do unless you want to pay $80 more for a new XFX.

Mine arrived today as it was supposed to. As barebones as you can get.

I can now turn quality to high levels. But FPS hasn't increased significantly. Time to pick up a q9550.

Got mine earlier today, and ran Furmark for over an hour clocked at 775mhz core and 1100 memory. Time to update sig.

Warranty concerns aside, this thing is pretty legit! I ran 23311 in 3dmark 06 with it, don't remember how that stacks up to the 4890 lol.

good news for me guys. I have to give CompUSA props for doing the right thing.

Since one of my 5850's was DOA I called them up to see what could be done. I didn't want to return the card straight up because of the great price but since they didn't have any left in stock and the warranty situation was leading nowhere I asked to price match the visiontek 5850 to the same price I paid. They went down to $265 so I was really happy about that. But then I was I was worried I wouldn't get the bing cash back so they also took care of that for me as well and I should be getting that 12.5% in my bing account shortly as well!

Cliffs:
got brand new visiontek card with lifetime warranty for the same price as this OEM deal :D
should be getting here on friday woo woooooo

Warranty concerns aside, this thing is pretty legit! I ran 23311 in 3dmark 06 with it, don't remember how that stacks up to the 4890 lol.

Mine only ran between 16k and 17k. The CPU score is only about 2300 so I'm guessing that's what's holding me back.

good news for me guys. I have to give CompUSA props for doing the right thing.

Lucky you! Nice grab.

compusa is still relevant..i thought they died.

They got bought out by Systemax, which owns Tiger Direct, CompUSA, SystemaxPC, and CircuitCity.com

Lucky you! Nice grab.

thanks. Some of you guys should try asking them to match the visiontek card as well someone on OCN had them do it as well since the warranty situation is FUBAR.

also I had a pretty interesting experience with my visiontek delivery. i took a nap in the afternoon and woke up at 6pm and checked the tracking number and it said delivered. I ran to the door and there is nothing there. I've never had anything go missing before so I am little pissed that it happened now. Called UPS and they said it was delivered to my apartment and the address was correct and that I should call compusa to start a trace on the package. I do so and they say about 2-5 days to get a resolution. So at this point I am like WTF I guess I am not just not supposed to get a 5850.

But then I start thinking about how it could have just disappeared and remember that I had also scheduled a USPS pick up and I never heard the doorball ring for that either. So I deduced that UPS dropped the package off and the mailman come a bit later and assumed these were the items he was supposed to pick up. The post office was closed at this point so I decided to drive to the local post office to see if maybe some people were still loading stuff into the trucks. I got there and saw that they were and a few minutes later I had my 5850 :D I guess the postmen don't even check what packages they pick up since they seem to always be in a hurry. So yeah it was just a ridiculous situation. I called compusa and let them I know I got the card and everything was cool.

I installed the asus bios which unlocks the voltage control and got my card stable at 1000mhz core and 1200 memory with 1.17v which I've read is pretty good. Scored 26k in 3dmark06.

damn I just wrote a lot lol

I installed the asus bios which unlocks the voltage control

Do you really need to do that if you have the reference card though? I was able to change the voltage on this OEM card as well as my Sapphire 5850 just using MSI afterburner.

Do you really need to do that if you have the reference card though? I was able to change the voltage on this OEM card as well as my Sapphire 5850 just using MSI afterburner.

i am not sure but maybe you are correct. i think the main reason for the asus bios is that it allows you to clock higher within CCC so you dont have mess with msi after burner every time you want to go past 775mhz core.

i think the main reason for the asus bios is that it allows you to clock higher within CCC so you dont have mess with msi after burner every time you want to go past 775mhz core.

I see your point on using that BIOS if you don't want to use MSI Afterburner. Personally I like Afterburner for its custom fan settings and customizable 2d/3d clock profiles. Also, you can get past the "775mhz" barrier without having to replace the BIOS with the ASUS one by going into MSI Afterburner's .cfg file and changing "allow unofficialoverclocking = 0" to "= 1."

I've run my 5850s (Sapphire and BB-ATI OEM) at 5870 speeds this way and bumping the voltage to 1.1v in Afterburner.

thanks. Some of you guys should try asking them to match the visiontek card as well someone on OCN had them do it as well since the warranty situation is FUBAR.

also I had a pretty interesting experience with my visiontek delivery. i took a nap in the afternoon and woke up at 6pm and checked the tracking number and it said delivered. I ran to the door and there is nothing there. I've never had anything go missing before so I am little pissed that it happened now. Called UPS and they said it was delivered to my apartment and the address was correct and that I should call compusa to start a trace on the package. I do so and they say about 2-5 days to get a resolution. So at this point I am like WTF I guess I am not just not supposed to get a 5850.

But then I start thinking about how it could have just disappeared and remember that I had also scheduled a USPS pick up and I never heard the doorball ring for that either. So I deduced that UPS dropped the package off and the mailman come a bit later and assumed these were the items he was supposed to pick up. The post office was closed at this point so I decided to drive to the local post office to see if maybe some people were still loading stuff into the trucks. I got there and saw that they were and a few minutes later I had my 5850 :D I guess the postmen don't even check what packages they pick up since they seem to always be in a hurry. So yeah it was just a ridiculous situation. I called compusa and let them I know I got the card and everything was cool.

I installed the asus bios which unlocks the voltage control and got my card stable at 1000mhz core and 1200 memory with 1.17v which I've read is pretty good. Scored 26k in 3dmark06.

damn I just wrote a lot lol

Just had to say that was an epic win for you.

Back