ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB OEM 229.49 after BCB

video cards die or partially disable themselves more then any other pc part imo... it seems like more of them die then harddrives. i know it has a lot to do with hardware being stressed a lot more, but still....

I've never even had to use any of my warranties in 6+ years that I've been putting computers together. It would still be nice to have just in case =/.

video cards die or partially disable themselves more then any other pc part imo... it seems like more of them die then harddrives. i know it has a lot to do with hardware being stressed a lot more, but still....

that makes sense but in my own experience I have never had a GPU die :O they seem to be very versatile but a warranty does make me rest easier.

I've had multiple HDDs, motherboards, ram sticks, and power supplies die on me but never a graphics card. *knocks on wood*

Here's the screen shot

atiwarranty.png

I've never even had to use any of my warranties in 6+ years that I've been putting computers together. It would still be nice to have just in case =/.

just a couple stick of crucial memory for me. ive never had a video card or cpu die, unless i caused it.

???

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Maybe I missed something?

They changed the warranty on us is what he's trying to say. I remember it being a 1yr warranty when I pressed the "buy" button, but now the website says "3 months." I wasn't smart enough to grab screenshots of the "1yr" when I pressed buy. I'm glad you did!

They changed the warranty on us is what he's trying to say. I remember it being a 1yr warranty when I pressed the "buy" button, but now the website says "3 months." I wasn't smart enough to grab screenshots of the "1yr" when I pressed buy. I'm glad you did!

Wow. Bait and switch eh?

Hope it's just a misunderstanding and that the out of service number is actually just listed incorrectly.

Personally I am probably just going to keep the cards when they arrive. They were too good of a deal, and I've never had any problems with any of my video cards ;).

Got my box.

IMG_1918.jpg

The card was in an ESD bag wrapped with brown paper. Came with 3 DVI to VGA adapters and 2 Crossfire Bridges. Nothing else. No papers, manuals, or warranty documents.

IMG_1920.jpg

The card itself is unmarked.

Good luck on the warranty with that one. Hopefully you won't have any problems.

Do you have your 3 lcds and DP adapter ready?

Good luck on the warranty with that one. Hopefully you won't have any problems.

Do you have your 3 lcds and DP adapter ready?

Yep, already have 3 2408/2407WFP and one 5850. This is my second so I can get some Crossfire goodness going.

registered.jpg

Well, I tried looking up warranty information at ati's website with no luck. They dont seem to offer it for anything newer than a 3870 or so. So I went to Sapphire's site and registered the card. Seems to have worked.

Last edited:
UPDATE

So CompUSA got back to me with a phone number to call. It's 978-296-2400 and 978-296-2415. Both of these numbers go to a company called "FUSION." The second number goes directly to a guy named Dave. I talked with Dave about the issue and he told me that FUSION is a distributor for ATI. He was curious about our issue and said that his company offers 90 day (roughtly 3 months) warranties to their resellers (CompUSA). After explaining to him our issue and who's really covering our warranty he said if we (the purchasers) had any problems and needed to do warranty work we can call FUSION and they'll handle the warranty for us. Our warranty is only 90 days though and not 1yr as CompUSA originally advertised when we bought the cards.

I'm half debating with myself whether or not to keep the card considering we have a short warranty.

Legoman666, by any chance does Sapphire's site list how long the warranty is on the card you registered? Or how much time is left?

glad I skipped this deal

One year was too short for me. Two years is acceptable. 90 days is not. Maybe if it were a $20 videocard...

Are you guys effin kidding me? This is a GREAT deal. I've never had ANY GPU die on me, EVER, and I've owned alot of them (about 20 since the Voodoo 2 days). It's not like these cards are from the crap bin R&D building at Ati. I've got a 4850, 7600GT, and 7900GT right now that I've treated like shit and they still work. WTF are you all trippen on anyway? The only thing I’ve that has ever gotten fubard was my motherboard, and that was completely my fault.

WTF are you all trippen on anyway? The only thing I’ve that has ever gotten fubard was my motherboard, and that was completely my fault.

Like I said earlier, I JUST had to RMA my Sapphire 5850 because the reference blower fan burnt out. I bought it in early December. I would've just missed the warranty date if I only had a 3mo warranty. Did I run the card like shit? Nope.

Like I said earlier, I JUST had to RMA my Sapphire 5850 because the reference blower fan burnt out. I bought it in early December. I would've just missed the warranty date if I only had a 3mo warranty. Did I run the card like shit? Nope.

Hey, so you are saying these cards are somehow lacking in the quality department compared with retail versions?

Hey, so you are saying these cards are somehow lacking in the quality department compared with retail versions?

No, what they are lacking is peace of mind. 1 year warranty is already very short as it is, 90 days is a no no in my opinion.

Anybody wanna sell me their card, even though it may only have a 3/12 month warranty?

I think I made my point.

Tempting...but I think I'm going to take my chances and wait until fathers day...maybe I can get a better deal and be able to convince the wife I deserve it. (considering I just pushed the spoil me envelope to spend around $700 upgrading to an i7 setup and all the supporting goodies)

My experience has been that graphics cards either work when you plug them in and then forever, or they are broken straight out of the box. Maybe I've been really lucky but I've never had to warranty one more than a few days old.

My experience has been that graphics cards either work when you plug them in and then forever, or they are broken straight out of the box. Maybe I've been really lucky but I've never had to warranty one more than a few days old.

same here!

You have been lucky then! I have had two VC go south on me. It sucks bigtime. I'll never buy unless it's made by XFX!

You have been lucky then! I have had two VC go south on me. It sucks bigtime. I'll never buy unless it's made by XFX!

That really means you have been unlucky then! I have only had one card die, the day I bought it, it was a Riva TNT2 Ultra and it died because I clocked the crap out of it right after I bought it. Luckily, it was a B&M purchase and they swapped it out no questions asked.

Well for those who you who aren't returning your card. You can purchase a full 3 year warranty for 30$ at squaretrade.

Well for those who you who aren't returning your card. You can purchase a full 3 year warranty for 30$ at squaretrade.

Again in the same thread: this.

You don't like OEM warranties? Suck it up or buy an extended warranty.

I'm with the crowd that has never had a graphics card die before replacement if it wasn't within 60 days. The only card I've ever had die was about 6 months after I bought it... because the PC was in my car when I hit a building in a snowstorm. Not what I'd call "usual circumstances". In my experience, they either die within a few months (sub-standard build? who the hell knows) or survive until they should be replaced.

After seeing the reviews on Fermi, I am glad I jumped on this deal. 520$ - 50 bing cash back = 470$ for 5850 crossfire goodness. :D

i'll buy one for 230$ i don't care if i need it or not.will just keep watching.
wonder what a used evga 275 is worth?

How do you go about doing this? I put in the purchase price at 259.99 and it quotes me 38.99.

It's fraud and I'm calling them right now. They're getting hell from me. Bait and switch is ILLEGAL and is a form of fraud. Fuck a return, they're hearing from me.

Returning the product, filed a report with Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs.

What I wrote to BBB.

Problem:
I ordered a ATi Radeon 5850 from compusa.com. The website stated a warranty of 12 months. Myself along with many internet users bought the products and once the product was sold out, the warranty changed to 3 months on the site. After spending about 40 minutes on the phone with Systemax, they claimed it was an advertising error and offered a refund. I spoke to two people from Systemax Inc.

Nakeitha Troy
Steven Bowden

Steven was the manager who claimed it was an advertising error. As a consumer this doesn't seem like an advertising error. CompUSA is defrauding customers using bait and switch.

Desired outcome (lol):

Investigation into Systemax Inc. and subsidiary companies regarding fraudulent advertising practices. This company is rated A+ by the BBB, it isn't even close.

Send in a complaint, one won't do anything but they need to hear about it.

Back