ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB OEM 229.49 after BCB

? - msrp for a 5850 is $279, not $250. I think you're going to have to wait a while before it gets down to the $180 range. This is a great deal and anyone in the market for this level of videocard should jump on this before it goes OOS.

Actually, according to a few websites after googling around, it's $259. And given that the price is normally around $320-350 nowadays and this is basically $90 off + cashback. $90 off MSRP is $170, + cashback would give us $150 or so. I'm sure another deal like this will come along once the radeons are back around MSRP again which will be likely when Fermi's hit. I'm in no rush since FFXIV doesn't come out until winter 2010 anyways.

I thought ATi stopped selling their own branded cards with the 48xx series and gave it to VisionTek? I guess they're back?

not that I'm an expert but doesn't ATI ship these to man'fs like this? Most just slap their own sticker on top of the HSF.

not that I'm an expert but doesn't ATI ship these to man'fs like this? Most just slap their own sticker on top of the HSF.

Nope. ATI doesn't actually put the cards together. "Built by ATI" is really, "Built by Sapphire, for ATI." ATI controls the shipment of the cores to the various companies.

How do i find this deal? I cant find it...i typed compusa in bing then clicked the cashback and searched for 5850 and the cheapest one is coming up as 309

I feel like an idiot, freaking missed out on this. Was ordering one and making this thread last night when the gf came home and got sidetracked. Tried today and it's freaking gone! oh well, guess no xfire 5850 for me.

I feel like an idiot, freaking missed out on this. Was ordering one and making this thread last night when the gf came home and got sidetracked. Tried today and it's freaking gone! oh well, guess no xfire 5850 for me.

There are 2 types of people in the world. The quick and the dead. :(

There are 2 types of people in the world. The quick and the dead. :(

"There's two types of people in this world, blondie. Those with guns........and those who dig."

Tuco

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yesterday afternoon a friend approached me asking about video cards, I ended up convincing him to order two 5850's for him and his wife, we even ordered them from compusa. hours later when this deal popped up I told him about it, and he was ready to cancel his order and shave off a cool $100, but his package had already shipped! :( All well, on the plus side he gets a lifetime warranty with the visiontek.

IMO, GFs fault. Make her buy you a 5870...and cook dinner too!

Actually, according to a few websites after googling around, it's $259. And given that the price is normally around $320-350 nowadays and this is basically $90 off + cashback. $90 off MSRP is $170, + cashback would give us $150 or so.
It was originally 259 for MSRP, but due to high demand and low supply/stock ATI increased the MSRP of the 5850 to 279 about 1 month after they were released

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16183/1/
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=654

Now a days on average most retailers are going to charge at least 299 or higher for a 5850. So while the MSRP is 279 AIB partners and retailers are tacking another 20 dollars onto the price.

It was originally 259 for MSRP, but due to high demand and low supply/stock ATI increased the MSRP of the 5850 to 279 about 1 month after they were released

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16183/1/
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=654

Now a days on average most retailers are going to charge at least 299 or higher for a 5850. So while the MSRP is 279 AIB partners and retailers are tacking another 20 dollars onto the price.

Well, they're more commonly above 300 bucks, namely 320-350 scanning around. Reason why prices are so high is because the 5000 series don't have any DX11 competition and they know people will buy the cards. Once the Fermis are out in full force, they'll jump back down to MSRP in order to compete with NVIDIA since we all know NVIDIA will charge an arm and 2 legs.

So has anyone who order a 5850 on the 23rd actually have it shipped out yet? Mine is still in process at the warehouse.

Last edited:
So has anyone who order a 5850 on the 23rd actually have it shipped out yet? Mine is still in process at the warehouse.

I ordered mine on the 24th and it shipped out same day. Coming from Illinois.

Sigh.... only one of my 5850s was shipped. The other is on backorder :mad:.

My tracking says it will get here tomorrow. We shall see.

If it does come in for you tomorrow do you mind updating us on if the card came with a crossfire bridge? I actually spent an extra 10$ for a HIS crossfire bridge, since most oem items come with no accessories.

WOW this is a hot deal. I left my credit card at home, I'm going to buy two FTW when I get home!!

THank you OP!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)!!!!

I am sorry to burst your bubble but the item is out of stock.
The epicness that would have ensued had he have found that out on his own would have been worthy of it's own thread. :(

Either way, this was a pretty damn good deal.

My tracking says it will get here tomorrow. We shall see.

Could you please let us know what it comes with? I'm curious about an OEM ATI card, never had one before. Box, warranty, accessories, manufacturer? Thanks!

Mine is due next Tuesday!

Could you please let us know what it comes with? I'm curious about an OEM ATI card, never had one before. Box, warranty, accessories, manufacturer? Thanks!

Mine is due next Tuesday!

Same here. Must take a while to get to California from IL.

So I guess now I am going to constantly get reminded that I missed this deal, because everytime someone gets a tracking number they are going to post it, then they will update us with its installed and awesome status messages.

I hate all of you, go tweet (brag) elsewhere.
:D :( :D

So I guess now I am going to constantly get reminded that I missed this deal, because everytime someone gets a tracking number they are going to post it, then they will update us with its installed and awesome status messages.

I hate all of you, go tweet (brag) elsewhere.
:D :( :D

This. :p Deal's dead, they're in the mail, it's a moot thread now. I checked back in the (slim) hopes that it was back in stock, but alas.

According to the website:
A177-5850-call11-cba.jpg

As far as manufacturer, it's physically constructed by Sapphire. "Built by ATI/AMD" cards have been built by Sapphire since I can remember.

EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT THIS SHOULD READ WHAT I FOUND OUT BELOW!

So I was curious about the warranty, and CompUSA's web page says:
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB DDR5 PCIe,Dual DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort - OEM

Limited warranty 3 months for parts and 3 months for labor.
Support URL: http://www.atitech.com
Support Phone Number: 1-(905)-882-2626

So I looked on AMD's website about warranty information (clicking on the atitech.com link brings you to AMD) and discovered AMD's warranty page says:
STEP 2: CHECK IF THE PRODUCT IS ELIGIBLE FOR WARRANTY SERVICE

1.Check for the Standard Warranty Period (also located in your product manual)
2.Check that your product is a Retail-Packaged* "BUILT-BY ATI"
* Please note that OEM, Partner and System Builder products (eg. DELL, Sapphire, Connect3D) are not eligible for Warranty Service from ATI.

Thinking to myself, "Well I just bought an OEM card, and AMD says they don't cover this..." I decieded to call the ATI tech support number on CompUSA's site. Turns out, the number is dead and disconnected.

The next step was to call CompUSA. I spoke with Sam, who was very helpful in trying to solve this "Who really provides the warranty, and is there really one?" mystery. He called the number on their site and also found it was a dead number. I read him the terms of AMD's warranty policy and he didn't know who the warranty would be covered by. What he did do was send an email to CompUSA's ATI correspondence person to work it out with them and get the correct information. Sam said he'd email me the correct information as soon as he received it.

I did try calling AMD's GPU support, but they seem to have left the office early (I tried calling at 2:20PM PST, the website says they close at 5:30PM EST, which is 2:30PM PST). I'll try again tomorrow to see what AMD has to say about this and whether we're actually covered, or screwed.

Stay tuned!

Thinking to myself, "Well I just bought an OEM card, and AMD says they don't cover this..." I decieded to call the ATI tech support number on CompUSA's site. Turns out, the number is dead and disconnected.

The next step was to call CompUSA. I spoke with Sam, who was very helpful in trying to solve this "Who really provides the warranty, and is there really one?" mystery. He called the number on their site and also found it was a dead number. I read him the terms of AMD's warranty policy and he didn't know who the warranty would be covered by. What he did do was send an email to CompUSA's ATI correspondence person to work it out with them and get the correct information. Sam said he'd email me the correct information as soon as he received it.

I did try calling AMD's GPU support, but they seem to have left the office early (I tried calling at 2:20PM PST, the website says they close at 5:30PM EST, which is 2:30PM PST). I'll try again tomorrow to see what AMD has to say about this and whether we're actually covered, or screwed.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for doing the dirty work for us all, that's exactly what I was worried about, and why I'm wondering about any warranty information/box contents!

Wow this is getting good. Honestly I could give two craps about a warranty, I don't keep vid cards long enough or "stock" enough :) but I do know it's a big deal still.

Wow this is getting good. Honestly I could give two craps about a warranty, I don't keep vid cards long enough or "stock" enough but I do know it's a big deal still.

I used to think that way till my Sapphire 5850's fan went all wierd the other day. Now it makes a grinding noise at low rpms and when it's supposed to go to higher rpm it can't.

Back