ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series @ [H]

you could always download the crysis demo to test out your rig... and if you have a crossfire motherboard, you can buy another 3870 in a month or so and double your speeds for longevity of your current rig... which is what i plan on doing :cool:

Not this debate again...some trained eyes can spot differences at 200fps, so there's no real max number that everyone sees.

Also, in games, you can always tell the difference between 30 and 60fps if you simply move your screen or if objects spin/move in front of you...therefore the more fps, the better.

thanks yeah im downloading the demo now. In about an hour I will be able to install it. I swear I had this demo on one of my hard drives oh well its lost somewhere. I cant tell the difference only between 30-40 anything beyond 40 i cant tell. I just spent an hour testing this in cod4.

the center of your eye cannot see movement well.

the outer section of your eye, the perimeter of your retina, cannot see detail, cannot see colour well at all, but can see high speed motion super well. that is why you havent been crushed by a car yet, or can actually play a sport like boxing.

the 75hz thing is for images focused on and in detail mode. the rest of your mind is pissed off at that hz

Remember that movies are projected at 24fps and they don't look all that bad.

My personal lowest acceptable frame rate is around 25 fps or so. I honestly can't tell the difference between frame rates >40fps with an analog monitor set to 120Hz refresh rate.

And no, I don't play games looking from the side of my field of view, I tend to stare straight at the monitor.

Not to beat a dead horse to death again for the 50th time, but obviously this is a highly subjective topic and seems to be different from person to person. There are definitely diminishing returns on framerates higher than 50-60 fps but I seem to remember articles stating that humans could in fact notice a *difference* (not necessarily better or worse) between framerates much higher. Whether this is peripheral vision or not, your brain could tell the difference, period.

As has been stated countless times before, movies != games. They are filmed on cameras that have shutter speeds, meaning they record images onto film by opening their shutters to light for a small fraction of time. This means that if objects move during that short time the motion is also recorded, ie- motion blur. This gives the filmed subjects much smoother transitions between frames if they do move, or conversely if the camera moves still objects have blur giving the camera panning motion fluidity to the viewer.

On the other hand, many computer games (especially ones made before the past year or so) render objects on a frame-by-frame basis. This means the motion the objects may have gone through to get from frame A to frame B is not recorded at all, only their final positions for frame A and frame B. We simply perceive this as motion as our brain connects the dots for us.

A simple example is to go watch a live-action film and then watch a stop-action film (I've always been a fan of the Wallace & Gromit movies). If you don't have any claymation around just google for some flipbook animations, same concept. There's an obvious difference, and that difference is blurring.

New games are starting to use motion blur (including CoD4), and the result is one of the most pronounced changes to happen to graphics in awhile. I would even go so far as to put it on par with anti-aliasing. Games now appear smooth even at framerates that are considered unacceptable in older games without motion blurring. The same way lower resolutions are now more acceptable thanks to AA.

Not to beat a dead horse to death again for the 50th time, but obviously this is a highly subjective topic and seems to be different from person to person. There are definitely diminishing returns on framerates higher than 50-60 fps but I seem to remember articles stating that humans could in fact notice a *difference* (not necessarily better or worse) between framerates much higher. Whether this is peripheral vision or not, your brain could tell the difference, period.

As has been stated countless times before, movies != games. They are filmed on cameras that have shutter speeds, meaning they record images onto film by opening their shutters to light for a small fraction of time. This means that if objects move during that short time the motion is also recorded, ie- motion blur. This gives the filmed subjects much smoother transitions between frames if they do move, or conversely if the camera moves still objects have blur giving the camera panning motion fluidity to the viewer.

On the other hand, many computer games (especially ones made before the past year or so) render objects on a frame-by-frame basis. This means the motion the objects may have gone through to get from frame A to frame B is not recorded at all, only their final positions for frame A and frame B. We simply perceive this as motion as our brain connects the dots for us.

A simple example is to go watch a live-action film and then watch a stop-action film (I've always been a fan of the Wallace & Gromit movies). If you don't have any claymation around just google for some flipbook animations, same concept. There's an obvious difference, and that difference is blurring.

New games are starting to use motion blur (including CoD4), and the result is one of the most pronounced changes to happen to graphics in awhile. I would even go so far as to put it on par with anti-aliasing. Games now appear smooth even at framerates that are considered unacceptable in older games without motion blurring. The same way lower resolutions are now more acceptable thanks to AA.

A well-written discussion of the issues.

That is incorrect. The jerkiness in "claymation" or hand drawn animation is due to inaccuracies in positioning the clay or drawing completely uniformly from frame to frame not the lack of "motion blur".

Ideally one should use a computer animated movie like any of the Pixar or Dreamworks Animation movies as examples as to the acceptability of the smoothness of 24fps rendering... but since they look smooth and non-jerky, you probably won't because they don't support your hypothesis.

Note I'm not saying that 24fps is acceptable, I have already said that I can personally notice differences up to around 40fps and do not doubt that some golden-eyes can notice up to much higher rates. I'm just disagreeing with the example used discredit using 24 fps movies as a reference.

Ideally one should use a computer animated movie like any of the Pixar or Dreamworks Animation movies as examples as to the acceptability of the smoothness of 24fps rendering... but since they look smooth and non-jerky, you probably won't because they don't support your hypothesis.
Actually, Pixar add motion blur to their movies. Do a freeze frame on an action scene (Sully tobaggoning down the hill in Monsters, Inc comes to mind), and you'll see it. Silent.Sin has it right.

Been a long freaking wait but finally I got hold of my 3870 in Sweden. It was larger and heavier than expected compared to my puny 2600XT, and it was so much cheaper than I had expected, I see 2600XT models for sale for the price of my 3870!

Performance is absolutely nuts for the price asked, the fan feels like it's more silent than that of my 2600XT, the auto-downclocking makes me feel like I'm saving the environment and my power bill, but most importantly:

400w Chieftec PSU, 29A on the +12v rails = IT RUNS PERFECTLY!

I noticed a lot of discussion about people having monster power supplies when running a 3870 so I thought I would toss this out

InWin mATX case with 350W PSU
Foxconn G33M mATX mainboard
4GB 800Mhz DDR2 Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 running at 3GHz
ATi 3870 card
Lite-On Sata DVD burner
Lite-On DVD reader
WDC Caviar RE2 500GB HDD
Audigy 2

So i decided to stress test this machine and it seems to work just fine with no crashes and I can play games like UT3 for hours on end.

so why is there such a steep PSU recommendation? is this a CYA or something?

so why is there such a steep PSU recommendation? is this a CYA or something?
Pretty much. The problem is that most PSU's out there are not honestly rated. For example, you may be able to get 30A on the 5V rail (for 150W) and 21A on the 12V rail (for 252W), but not at the same time. The PSU manufacturer may nevertheless slap a "400W" sticker on it, regardless of the fact that the PSU can't actually deliver that much power.

Pretty much. The problem is that most PSU's out there are not honestly rated. For example, you may be able to get 30A on the 5V rail (for 150W) and 21A on the 12V rail (for 252W), but not at the same time. The PSU manufacturer may nevertheless slap a "400W" sticker on it, regardless of the fact that the PSU can't actually deliver that much power.

That's why you buy properly reviewed PSU's or look into user experiences ;).

Yeah, X1900XTX cards were pretty much the worst cards for stressing a PSU, with only one molex connector. It was very very close to the limit that a PCI-E molex connector could handle, so the rest had to be drawn through a motherboard's PCI-E slot. I do not think there is another card that puts as much of a draw through a single slot or molex as that XTX! (Mind you, an 8800 or a 2900XT has more distributed power draw through an additional PCI-E molex connector.) Just gotta remember when the XTX'es first came out.. only a handful few PSU's could handle those cards in Crossfire.

the center of your eye cannot see movement well.

the outer section of your eye, the perimeter of your retina, cannot see detail, cannot see colour well at all, but can see high speed motion super well. that is why you havent been crushed by a car yet, or can actually play a sport like boxing.

the 75hz thing is for images focused on and in detail mode. the rest of your mind is pissed off at that hz

Is this why I can see my CRT flickering if I, uh, look at it in my peripheral vision?

Yeah, X1900XTX cards were pretty much the worst cards for stressing a PSU, with only one molex connector. It was very very close to the limit that a PCI-E molex connector could handle, so the rest had to be drawn through a motherboard's PCI-E slot. I do not think there is another card that puts as much of a draw through a single slot or molex as that XTX! (Mind you, an 8800 or a 2900XT has more distributed power draw through an additional PCI-E molex connector.) Just gotta remember when the XTX'es first came out.. only a handful few PSU's could handle those cards in Crossfire.

Odd, because I ran two X1900's, both flashed to XTX+ speeds and voltages in BIOS, running with a 4400 X2 OC'd to 2.8Ghz, 2 500mb and 1 300 MB SATA drives, 2 gigs of RAM, 7 fans plus two Accelero V2 coolers, 2 DVD drives, sound card and a bunch of USB devices plugged in.