ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP Graphics Card Complete New In Box Factory Sealed Rare

What a great card. I probably still have one around here somewhere. Maybe it's a 9800 AIW.

I still have my 9800 Pro. It didn't overclock very well, but it ran cool and was quiet. It was pretty much a maxed out 9700 Pro. Nothing could touch it in its day. Not even the infamous 5800 Ultra.

I find it so crazy that people still have these in the plastic. I mean, you bought a brand new video card and never opened it? And then kept it for more than a DECADE. Crazy.
Probably came from a mom and pop computer place that either went belly up or changed hands. They put it up on the top shelf and forgot it was a complete product instead of a display box.

I find it so crazy that people still have these in the plastic. I mean, you bought a brand new video card and never opened it? And then kept it for more than a DECADE. Crazy.

Maybe someone bought some old stock from a business that shut down and just tossed it into their storage locker for the past 10 years.

I bought this card back in the day to play the og far cry when it came out, lol. 1024x768 in all its glory.

And then someone buys it and sends you email:

"I opened the box and it had two used hard drives! I want my money back!!"

Speaks the truth. Buyers can claim they were shipped hot dog turds and Ebay will force the refund. I have a love/hate relationship with Ebay. I have stopped selling to anyone with under a 20 positive rep.

Fond memories of wanting this card so bad to upgrade from my shitty FX5200 but ultimately settled for a 9600XT at the time.

Fond memories of wanting this card so bad to upgrade from my shitty FX5200 but ultimately settled for a 9600XT at the time.
I went 9600XT as well. And this card started my Steam Library.
9600xt.jpg

How? You can't set those stipulations anymore in their system.

I declare no zero feedback buyers in my description, and low feedback is subject to my review. If someone buys anyway, if they are a zero I just automatically do a refund and send them a message. If they are low feedback, I send them a message and try to confirm the order. If they reply and sound like they are an actual person who wants my thing, I flip a mental coin. If no response, refund and relist. It depends on the item too... I'm much more likely to let a $4 cable go than a $25+ item. It has gained me 2 or 3 negative feedbacks over the years, but overwhelmingly I never hear about it. After you have been shafted a few times for real money it does tend to make one jaded.

Re: these video cards.... pretty sure I had a 9600 that I tried to flash up to 9800. Or was that 8500.... it's been so long I can't exactly remember. I don't recall a happy outcome and I think it turned out to not be worth the effort. That was the last ATI care I ever bought, whichever it was. I do recall getting a xmas bonus one year (very few of those, I remember that) of AMZ GC and I bought a geforce 7800GT that I used for years.

Aye mate, that's nervous. It might haunt you. If your profile says 50+/7-...it might make a legitimate buyer like taco nervous.

Negs fall off after 12 months. My rating is 100% positive. Scammers don't usually go out of their way to list neg feedback. I have also had pretty decent luck listing expensive stuff on forums like this one for example. I did learn the hard way to never sell things like game codes / gift cards on ebay tho.

I love clicking these links to see all the other suggested Ebay auctions it leads me too. So much cool stuff for sale. Kudos to people who had the self control to get these things and never open them.

The 9500 Pro is where it's at, great price to performance ratio, plus you could flash them easily.

Maybe someone bought some old stock from a business that shut down and just tossed it into their storage locker for the past 10 years.
Maybe... I am always kinda skeptical of these sealed packages though. I mean... the buyer of course is probably going to be a collector who is never going to open the package and shrink-wrap machines are not hard to come by. So what is stopping somebody from shrink-wrapping a box with completely different contents and then selling it to a collector?

We had a shrink-wrap machine at the one computer store I worked at.

All it is is a sealing device to bag up the item and then you use a hot-air gun to shrink the wrap around the box.

Maybe... I am always kinda skeptical of these sealed packages though. I mean... the buyer of course is probably going to be a collector who is never going to open the package and shrink-wrap machines are not hard to come by. So what is stopping somebody from shrink-wrapping a box with completely different contents and then selling it to a collector?

We had a shrink-wrap machine at the one computer store I worked at.

All it is is a sealing device to bag up the item and then you use a hot-air gun to shrink the wrap around the box.

know of a good method for seeing inside without breaching the seal?

erek

Oh man, the video and ebay link brings back memories. I still find it odd that they used floppy connectors for additional power.

Reactions: erek
like this
So what is stopping somebody from shrink-wrapping a box with completely different contents and then selling it to a collector?
Exacerbated by the fact that the collector themselves will place it on a shelf and choose to never open it. Ignorance is bliss?

Baseball card collectors have been dealing with the same issue ever since baseball cards became more about money. When you hear/read stories of sellers mysteriously finding an unopened package of baseball cards in their grandfather's attic, well... let's just say repeated occurrences of that same story are always met with skepticism.

like this
I had a 9600XT built by ATi. I wasn't a huge gamer and I remember getting the download code for Half-Life 2. I created a Steam account and really didn't play it that much. Years later, I forgot all about that steam account and made a new one. So, I have an orphan steam account with nothing in it but Half-Life 2. I actually bought all of the content on my current steam account a couple of years ago.

I found a mod on the 9600XT that involved connecting variable resistors in a couple of places to ramp up the voltage. Turn the knob 10 turns, check it with a multi-meter and keep adjusting. The core wouldn't overclock for anything no matter the voltage, but the memory would do quite a bit. I put a blower style aftermarket cooler on the card and ran it for several years like that with an AMD Athlon 3200+ Clawhammer on an MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R mobo. I bought that mobo because it was the only one at launch that supported Cool n' Quiet. If I had thought it through, of course the other manufacturers were going to support it via BIOS updates. Also, that chipset had no FSB/AGP lock, so you couldn't OC the cpu without OCing the AGP bus. The nForce chipsets had the lock. Also, I wished I had bought the 9700 Pro card instead of the 9600XT almost as soon as I bought it.

like this
Last edited:
I just find it amazing that a 9800 pro would be considered a rare collectors item now. Yeah I get that the unopened state is a big factor. But to me it seems like this wasn't released that long ago... Until I look at the release date :p

like this
Had one of these that I modded to a 9800XT and overclocked and was STILL getting bested by some 9700Pro's.

like this
The XT had the extra 128Mb of memory and wider memory bus than the 9800 pro did though.

like this
Some 9800Pro’s came with the R360 core and 256bit bus width. The only difference was clock speed and firmware.

like this
The XT had the extra 128Mb of memory and wider memory bus than the 9800 pro did though.
The 9800 XT did come out of the gate with a 256 MB vram option. The 9800 Pro got refreshed with 256 MB vram variant around the same time the 9800 XT launched. However, the 9800 XT used much slower DDR memory vs 9800 Pro's DDR2. To make up for it, the 9800 XT was clocked 30 MHz higher. Other than that, they were identical. The memory bus width was even the same.

Ideally, you wanted the 9800 Pro 256 MB version. But most had already bought the original 9800 Pro 128 MB ~6 months earlier. Same story with the 9700 Pro. Wasn't enough generational performance leap to ditch it for the newer versions.

...or someone who has a friend that works at Best Buy that has access to the shrink-wrapping machine in the back of the store...

And then someone buys it and sends you email:

"I opened the box and it had two used hard drives! I want my money back!!"

View attachment 265257
Good one. Been selling on eBay for 20+ years. I have pretty much stopped selling there, for that reason. They need to divorce themselves from PayPal, switch to Adyen ASAP and give power back to the sellers.

Negs fall off after 12 months. My rating is 100% positive. Scammers don't usually go out of their way to list neg feedback. I have also had pretty decent luck listing expensive stuff on forums like this one for example. I did learn the hard way to never sell things like game codes / gift cards on ebay tho.
Agreed - DO NOT SELL DIGITAL ITEMS ON EBAY! I've sold digital codes/gift cards there. There seems to be some organized crime going on there. Over 75% of those filed eBay claims.

I have refunded buyers with zero feedback that seemed like probable scammers, once or twice. It's sad they tried to emulate Amazon's flawed system that screws sellers. Their feedback system used to work.

Last edited:
Back