ATI Radeon 5870 2GB 3X2 Eyefinity Gaming Experience @ [H]

Nice review, seems like the main problem is the horizontal bezel that cuts through where you'd normally be aiming.

To me it seems like this could work great, the game just needs to operate on the bottom middle screen as it would for a normal display (targetting reticule on the middle of this screen) then all other screens simply increase the peripheral vision. Rather than simply enlarging everything like it does at the moment.

Though I still feel before Eyefinity will tempt me it needs to be able to support more control over the lens in games to correct for the stretched images you see on the "peripheral vision" monitors.

That's what I'm doing (plus 2 extra on each side for a total of 10 or 5x2).

Need confirmation. Using an Eyefinity 6 card, can I run a game on the bottom three and a desktop view on the spare 3 ?

I have $3 grand sitting in a bank account waiting for me to pull the trigger but I need to know if this will work first.

eyeinfinity is awesome, but that horizontal bezel simply makes everything unwatchable

what kind of card setup would be needed to push 3x1 30"displays on very high settings?

something like 5870 in quad CF ?

That sounds about right...im running 3 at 1920x1080 with 2 5870s and Crysis is stuck in medium and even then its around 20-30 on heavy effects scenes in Crysis....2GB versions would be best.

That sounds about right...im running 3 at 1920x1080 with 2 5870s and Crysis is stuck in medium and even then its around 20-30 on heavy effects scenes in Crysis....2GB versions would be best.

I think Eyefinity is still raw and undeveloped. Too many people reporting problems with it (esp in CrossFire)

Have to wait untill ATI fix the bugs and iron things out.

You're shader limited in Crysis and Metro 2033.

eyeinfinity is awesome, but that horizontal bezel simply makes everything unwatchable

what kind of card setup would be needed to push 3x1 30"displays on very high settings?

something like 5870 in quad CF ?

Crossfire+Eyefinity's framebuffer requirements make games choke on PCIE bandwidth somewhere between 2, 3, and 4 GPUs depending on the game/setup - but by quadfire you're usually performing considerably worse than a single GPU. Triple CF is a crapshoot as to whether it is better or worse than dual CF.

A 5970 4GB E6 is what I would shoot for, though I wonder if they're going to have any refresh between now and the 6000 series.

Everyone's impatient about when 5x1 portrait mode will be allowed in the drivers.

I was in the market for a 5870 bought a new unopened Sapphire for $325 dollars on Friday from Craigslist (which I now need to sell)and was going to buy an XFX BLACK 5850 but the owner had to go out of town this weekend so the deal did not happen. Then yesterday, Sunday, I found an individual that had purchased 2 of the ASUS 5870 EYEFINITY 6 cards but was told that they could not be installed in the HP machine because it would void the warranty. He sold me the pair for $560. Brand new unopened boxes with the receipt from Newegg. He had apparently had them too long to send back and had finally put them up on Craigslist. I also have recently purchased a Core i860 in a Fry's combo with an MSI P55-GD55 Motherboard. However I want to ad an Nvidia card for Physx processing. I see that ASUS has 2 boards that would probably work; the P7P55 WS as it has the NF200 chip at $200 and their ROG board at $350. Any other boards that anyone has experience with that has x16, x16 & x8? I know ASUS and have 3 of their highend 775 boards. This is the last piece of the puzzle. I do daytrading and have a 6*2 configuration on one machine with 3 NVS Quadro cards each monitor is 1920*1200.

On the new build I want to do a 3x1 configuration with 3 1920 * 1200 monitors for games and a 6x2 for daytrading.

On the game side does anyone have any experience of using a card for Physx with the EYEFINITY 6 cards crossfired? (I bought a GT 240 for Physx)?

Any comment on the ASUS boards or any other capable motherboards in the 1156 arena?

In the EYEFINITY setup, since it is crossfired do all connections to the monitors have to come from one card?

Thanks

Any comment on the ASUS boards or any other capable motherboards in the 1156 arena?

You should be able to find an EVGA Classified model to fit your needs.

In the EYEFINITY setup, since it is crossfired do all connections to the monitors have to come from one card?

Yes.

On the game side does anyone have any experience of using a card for Physx with the EYEFINITY 6 cards crossfired? (I bought a GT 240 for Physx)?

You'd have to use a hack, or that one nvidia beta driver that was released where nvidia screwed up and forgot to block the ATI/nvidia ban.....can't remember the driver version but I have it on my computer at home. I think it was a 197 version, but by now I'm sure nvidia has "fixed" it.

Thanks for your quick reply magoo!!

Quote:
You should be able to find an EVGA Classified model to fit your needs.

Looks like a great board but I am looking for a 1156 model. Also as far as I know EVGA is in the Nvidia camp exclusively isn't it?

Quote:
Yes.

I was afraid of that, I wanted a way to not have to buy an active DP>DVI converter since I got 4 of the passive converters with the cards. I was just at Fry's this morning and they have a 3*1 crossfire setup with a passive VGA converter on the 3rd monitor. Maybe I will try that and see if it will drive a 1920*1200 monitor.

Quote:
You'd have to use a hack, or that one nvidia beta driver that was released where nvidia screwed up and forgot to block the ATI/nvidia ban.....can't remember the driver version but I have it on my computer at home. I think it was a 197 version, but by now I'm sure nvidia has "fixed" it.

I have seen some blurbs about and was wondering if anyone here had done it and what there impression of the outcome was. I would like to see some video of this BEFORE and AFTER in Eyefinity/Crossfire.

Back