ATI Radeon 5870 2GB 3X2 Eyefinity Gaming Experience @ [H]

It's might now be nowhere near the resolution, but it's only a 10% smaller viewable area than your 3 22" put together, and I don't have to look at bezels.

As has been said 50 billion times: You don't notice the bloody bezels. You may only have a little less viewing area, but I see a shit load more stuff on my screens.

Kyle tell them to figure out a way to focus on the center bottom screen and then the rest of the screen are just peripheral views?

They are working on that with some devs....don't think it will make much difference.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to give your honest opinion about the 3x2 setup. I have been holding off on a 3x1 setup thinking this might be better. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer:

1.) Why do you think repositioning the center of the screen to the bottom middle monitor would not work?

2.) I assume 5x1 portrait is not yet supported? Has AMD indicated that it will be? Thanks for the answer.....this is the way to go, only odd number of monitors should rock!

3.) Have you tried this new card in a 3x1 setup with say 3 37" 1080p monitors? I am willing to bet this would be very immersive and perform admirably?

1. Because you still have this huge black bar running horizontally through your field of view.

2. Correct, not YET.

3. This is "just" a 2GB 5870, it does a great job in 3600x1920. 5970 is better though! :p

I sure hope you wouldn't spend all your money on any setup without first thinking it through.

This setup will transition well to test 5x1. :)

Nice. Though my bank account is hurting from all the upgrades in the last 6 months.

I really like 3x1 portrait mode (and ips panels), so I believe 5x1 would be awesome.

Yep, already bought my two "extra" U2410 displays to do 5x1 for my personal setup.

Kyle when you get bored with one of those Dells and upgrade to something nicer, sell me ONE for $100.00 ;-) That will be a very very very sweet setup and I can't wait to see it in a video.

What do you think of the new e-ips 23" panels from NEC?

I was waiting for the Eyefinity card but decided to just go for the regular 5870.

I'll just go ahead and quote what I said in the WSGF...

I've been waiting awhile for the 2GB card, but looking at the specs in the Anand article made me realize that it probably isn't the right choice for me. The extra (potential) $50-$100 cost is certainly not worth it in my eyes, the extra power consumption would mean buying a new PSU, and being forced to use a bunch of adapters or spending extra on Mini-DP to DVI/DP cables is not a good selling point either. There is also the possibility that the card may be longer than a standard 5870, and availability could be poor as is normal for new GPU releases.

All I was really interested in was some extra memory to avoid potential performance problems, but the Eyefinity Edition card is a little too over-engineered for my needs and all of the costs and complications of being able to run 6 monitors is passed down onto the consumer who may likely not even use that many. If only the OEMs had spent more time adding memory and less time making fancy custom coolers. :(

As it is, my 5870 should be here tomorrow. It's been killing me having these monitors just waiting to be used. :D

1.) Why do you think repositioning the center of the screen to the bottom middle monitor would not work?

Even if they did get that to work, I have to seriously question the value of the information that the top three monitors would display. For flight sims, 100% yes - the serious flight sim guys would absolutely go for that. For just about anything else... no.

the monitor stands looks cool? what are they and where can you get them?

@ Kyle, I really was expecting a brief look with this on something like Hawx or Dirt2. I absolutely love my eyefinity setup (3x1). My thoughts began to lean to other questions not yet asked...

I can't remember ever reading that you could crossfire two cards and use the video outs on both cards, it seems people keep bringing this idea up, care to clarify?
If crossfire and multi-card video out is possible, then why not say a 3x3 setup or 5x3 setup (i understand at that point that's kind of for Burt Reynolds' budget), but it would seem that at 3x3 you could play shooters better than at 3x2...this would bring down the display aspect to 4:3 right? and that's not something people like these days.
i am not in the school of thought that using lcd tvs would work better for portrait or anything, because they only go up to 1080p, it'd seem to make sense to me to go for the 27" or 30" apple/dell/hp displays. is using this Eye6 2gb card going to push 3 or even 6 30" displays to far (or lean graphically due to the ever expansive pixels being shown) or when you get to this level is using crossfire 2 cards or even three cards going to make the difference and allow for higher graphic "eye candy"?

The only gaming genre I see it being somewhat of a reality is Flight Sims and maybe top down RTS style games.

On CFX, it is my understanding that one card has to "carry" all of the video out signals. So you could CFX a 5870 1Gb with the 5870 2G, but it would only be a "1GB" after that...

Not really clear about the rest of your question. Sorry. That seven line sentence threw me off and I am getting really tired.

Thanks Kyle. The way you select which screen is positioned where is very cool.

Hmmmm... Kyle is talking about Metro 2033 at around 17 minutes in and how one of the DX11 functions is causing problems. He says both nVidia and ATi have the same problem. The only nVidia DX11 card is Fermi... guess you're doing some testing huh? :D

@ Kyle, I really was expecting a brief look with this on something like Hawx or Dirt2. I absolutely love my eyefinity setup (3x1). My thoughts began to lean to other questions not yet asked...

I can't remember ever reading that you could crossfire two cards and use the video outs on both cards, it seems people keep bringing this idea up, care to clarify?
If crossfire and multi-card video out is possible, then why not say a 3x3 setup or 5x3 setup (i understand at that point that's kind of for Burt Reynolds' budget), but it would seem that at 3x3 you could play shooters better than at 3x2...this would bring down the display aspect to 4:3 right? and that's not something people like these days.
i am not in the school of thought that using lcd tvs would work better for portrait or anything, because they only go up to 1080p, it'd seem to make sense to me to go for the 27" or 30" apple/dell/hp displays. is using this Eye6 2gb card going to push 3 or even 6 30" displays to far (or lean graphically due to the ever expansive pixels being shown) or when you get to this level is using crossfire 2 cards or even three cards going to make the difference and allow for higher graphic "eye candy"?

By that time I will just go hunting.

So 3x2 and 2x2 are no good due to centre bezel. Like several others, I'd love to see 5x1 portait mode.

3x1 (24") = 3240x1920 (6,220,800 pixels)
3600x1920 (6,912,000 pixels)
5x1 (24") = 5400x1920 (10,368,000 pixels)
6000x1920 (11,520,000 pixels)
3x1 (30") = 4800x2560 (12,288,000 pixels)
5x1 (30") = 8000x2560 (20,480,000 pixels)

Quad HD resolution is 3840x2160 (8,294,400 pixels). I think a good sized Quad HD TV would make a nice gaming monitor.

Last edited:
I see the only application are for simulation games where the upper bezels can be used as additional monitors or windows.

IE: flight sims where your FOV is centered on the bottom screen but the upper one gives you more open canopy space above you. Or RTS/Space sim games where the upper monitor is for readouts/maps/extra monitoring info, etc. Sort of like the Nintendo DS.

So 3x2 and 2x2 are no good due to centre bezel. Like several others, I'd love to see 5x1 portait mode.

3x1 (24") = 3240x1920 (6,220,800 pixels)
3600x1920 (6,912,000 pixels)
5x1 (24") = 5400x1920 (10,368,000 pixels)
6000x1920 (11,520,000 pixels)
3x1 (30") = 4800x2560 (12,288,000 pixels)
5x1 (30") = 8000x2560 (20,480,000 pixels)

Quad HD resolution is 3840x2160 (8,294,400 pixels). I think a good sized Quad HD TV would make a nice gaming monitor.
3840x2160 would not be any wider than 1920x1080. the point of eyefinity is to increase the field of view not just have a bunch more pixels.

Nice video!
Must say that 3 screens the bezels i can stand easily now, but not a chance in hell could i stand 6... it's rediculous...

3 or 9 i say.

I'm a big FPS fan. I have to side with Kyle on this... 3x2 will be great for Flight sims and games like Starcraft. I don't see how even being able to configure/move crosshairs in a fps would help. But thats to be seen I gues....*shrug* I personally am going to get a 3x1 and with my next setup (maybe 5x1 later on), I'm leaning towards IPS panels 24"+.

I just can't bring myself to do it now. I'm waiting for x-fire to mature more with eyefinity. I love my graphics and want the bests I can get with this setup. I might even be waiting until the "6xxx" series, but all in due time.

you know what it looks like you need is 9 displays or run 1x5
hmm 1x5 portrait drool

Kyle-

Is it possible to setup 3x2, then only use the lower 3 monitors to game on?
Basically the lower 3 be an Eyefinity Group, and the rest be secondary monitors? That way you could still utilize all 6 monitors. For example have things like system monitors, widgets, music, browser windows, movies, etc., etc, going on the top 3 monitors while your gaming on the lower 3.

Another possible Eyefinity arrangement that should be explored...
2 on top, 3 in the middle, 1 at the bottom...Perfect for a hard-core flight sim. It seems like an odd arrangement, but if mounted properly, it would work. Basically the lowest panel would be your instrument panel, the middle one would be forward sight, and everything else would be peripheral vision. This one is more likely a pipe-dream though...

are they planning on adding support for 3x1 +1 setups with these 6 port cards? I was thinking it would be cool to have 3x1 and then 1 above the center monitor for either extra peripheral vision upwards, or just having your windows desktop still showing while playing in eyefinity.

Dam 2x3 bezels look terrible... Also, how does DP convert to HDMI? Sorry, I am a complete noob when it comes to multi-displays

Video stream upped to Vimeo. Took a bit longer to get it upped in good quality to Vimeo. Not as great a quality as Viddler, but at least the video loads quickly now.

After seeing this setup I think I would like to see that 5x1 portrait setup.

the problem with anything over 3x1 is that there are very FEW games that even support a 90 degree FOV let alone 120+ FOV.. try playing CODMW2 on a 5x1 eyefinity setup.. you will want to take a bat to your system.. until game devs support wide screen resolutions like 3x1 correctly anything larger then that will look horrendous and unplayable..

Ya know as soon as HD TV's can bang out more then 1920x1080p and go to super resolutions like PC screens all this multidisplay stuff is going to go right out the window I think. Its going to happen which is not a bad thing. I mean instead of buying six screens just go buy a 50 or 60 inch wide screen and use that for your PC! hehe

Until we start seeing some screens with super slim or almost no bezel I couldn't use anything that puts a bezel in the middle of the viewable area.
2x1 annoying
3x1 awesome somewhat expensive
4x1 annoying expensive
5x1 awesome expensive
3x2 freaking annoying and really expensive
3x3 would be pretty awesome, but really freaking expensive (Is that even possible at the moment?)

the problem with anything over 3x1 is that there are very FEW games that even support a 90 degree FOV let alone 120+ FOV.. try playing CODMW2 on a 5x1 eyefinity setup.. you will want to take a bat to your system.. until game devs support wide screen resolutions like 3x1 correctly anything larger then that will look horrendous and unplayable..

5x 1920 x1200 portrait is still a lower aspect ratio than 3x1920x1200 in landscape.

5x1200 = 6000
6000/1920 = 3.125

3x1920 = 5760
5760/1200 = 4.8

So 5 portrait 1920 x 1200 displays is only twice as wide as a regular 16:10 monitor. I've played a few fps's on my 3x 1920:1200 setup and it's tolerable. It really shines in racing though.

Nice video Kyle. However I wonder if this card would make sense in a 5x1 portrait setup. Although at that kind of resolution it just seems like you may as well CrossfireX two regular 5870s and actually turn on some of the graphics options.

I second this one!

As an FPS gamer a 3x2 setup would kill the experience for me. 3x1 would be about as high as I would go.

Back