ATI R9 290X?

I have requested for an e-tailer to try one out on F@H, will keep everyone posted if they do give it a shot.

I wonder how that will translate to PPD. AndyE, got any more budget for some high-quality R9 290X pr0n and benchmarking? :D

needs to be at least 4 of them for AndyE pr0n :)

We'd have to offer edumacation on how to do it, but I know a reviewer was talking about beginning to calculate frame times with upcoming GPU reviews

Have Kyle or other guys from [H]ardOCP ever been approached to add F@H to their test suite? I just saw their review (shame on me for seeing it so late).

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/10/23/amd_radeon_r9_290x_video_card_review

I think so, and I don't know if they used to do this or if I'm imagining it...I know Anandtech do some compute tests in their reviews and they have some info on the 290X, but not actual PPD numbers. From the info AT have, compute performance varies, sometimes soundly thrashing everything including a Titan and sometimes midrange, some are even below a 7970 which is odd. I've asked if it would be possible to do a few hours on F@H to hopefully pick up some different units and show us what the PPD is like on average, I'm hoping they can fit that in somewhere along the line but it's possibly not top priority.

Edited to add: relevant link - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/18

The FAHBench numbers from the AT article give plenty to make a very good estimate of performance. It looks like the 290x PPD will be right in line with a 780, but use 30-40% more power.

Looks like a great gaming card and a terrible Folding card.

The FAHBench numbers from the AT article give plenty to make a very good estimate of performance. It looks like the 290x PPD will be right in line with a 780, but use 30-40% more power.

In the long run, possibly, but in the short-term Nvidia cards simple blow PPD wise when you factor in the extra energy used by a single CPU core running 24/7 on Advanced/Beta units. That is a secret power consumption killer that people often forget about that thus far Nvidia has shown no real incline to do a thing about in the past 6 months.

Not to mention my GTX 780 is running 967Mhz Stock > 1123Mhz Boost pulling 145-160K PPD (depending on 8900 or 7810/11) and only consuming a max of 70% of the cards power draw according to GPU-Z. My guess is that with the higher-end cards there is a degree of efficiency lost or that can't be utilized by F@H for whatever reason. I'd expect R9-290X to pull in that easily, if not exceed it while being minimally higher in power consumption at stock.

Not to mention my GTX 780 is running 967Mhz Stock > 1123Mhz Boost pulling 145-160K PPD (depending on 8900 or 7810/11) and only consuming a max of 70% of the cards power draw according to GPU-Z. My guess is that with the higher-end cards there is a degree of efficiency lost or that can't be utilized by F@H for whatever reason. I'd expect R9-290X to pull in that easily, if not exceed it while being minimally higher in power consumption at stock.

...didn't someone, somewhere (and I can't remember) say something about F@H only using the shaders on the GPU so the power is usually around 70-80% of the card's rated max?

something seems off about those fahbench numbers

Do I have to do anything special to get this to run? I have one with me that I'm taking home tonight to try out.

I'll try it in Uber mode, or whatever the fack it's called.

It hasn't been whitelisted yet, so you won't be able to fold with it right now.

I should have one Mondayish that I'll pull some PPD numbers from.

10e, you should try that on some BOINC projects until FAH gets it whitelisted. I don't know how well they run on BOINC yet, but the Commandos would be happy for the push. :D

10e, you should try that on some BOINC projects until FAH gets it whitelisted. I don't know how well they run on BOINC yet, but the Commandos would be happy for the push. :D

I'd be up for that. I'll check it out tonight and see what the Commandos need.

AMD GPU capable projects:
Albert
BitcoinUtopia (doesn't always have work)
* Collatz
DistRTgen (supposedly has an app but I haven't seen it yet)
* Einstein
* Milkyway
Moo!
* POEM (runs out of GPU work quick, so may want to attach to another project to make sure your card stays fed)
* PrimeGrid
* SETI
SETI BETA
The ones with the * before them are projects that are in the DC-Vault if you want to push our progress there. Otherwise, any of those projects would support our over all team. If compatibility comes up, PrimeGrid and Collatz tend to be pretty quick on the draw to get support for new cards. If you care about the type of science, just ask and we would be happy to suggest a few.

Our BOINC thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1783464

Haha, obviously you're not new here. However, I'm not sure that's necessary. The architecture of the 290X is very similar to that of Tahiti (7970/280X). So, hopefully, no additional programming will be required other than whitelisting it.

Edit, wait. I remember back in the day we could force GPU detection by essentially manually forcing the client to use a code path for an already known GPU architecture. We would set a flag that was something like "force_gpu nvidia_g80" IIRC. I can't investigate this at the moment at work, but it might be possible to force the code path for the previous generation cards. I wonder if there is a 290X thread going at foldingforum. I'm guessing there is.

OK I'm still working on this.

If a 7970 gets around 120K PPD at a roughly 1:50 TPF, and the 290X is around 30% faster (in theoretical TFLOPS), which would result in TPF of 1:17 and a PPD around 200k. I believe the GTX 780 and Titan are around 150k PPD if I'm not mistaken. 200k would be a pretty impressive result.

It was whitelisted as of yesterday and there's a guy in IRC up to about 155kppd with it right now. I'll have one in hand soon.

Lettuce know the TPF you get with it. I am somewhat interested.

Yes...

Lettuce.jpg

know indeed! :D

I'm seeing 1m 10s on a 7811 after about 10%. Right about 150k PPD.

Guy on FF says with fan at 40%, temps hit 94C and the card started throttling down. Set fans to 50% and the card stays a steady 93C. If he goes to 55% on the fan the card holds 88% and he can run it at 1040Mhz.

PPD numbers don't look that impressive though.

What about power consumption while folding? Any definitive measurements yet?

The only benchmark that matters is mining power per Kwh

I, too, would be interested to see the KH/s it does for Litecoin mining. Just for comparison's sake of course.... maybe a little future planning/wishing.

How are the temps?

I was seeing 90C at ~40% fan, no throttling. Uber mode, stock everything.

What about power consumption while folding? Any definitive measurements yet?

I, too, would be interested to see the KH/s it does for Litecoin mining. Just for comparison's sake of course.... maybe a little future planning/wishing.

I'm interested in Litecoin as well - not great at setting the command line parms, but can run with standard 7970 settings and see what happens.

As for power, I forgot to look at the killawatt - will do so at some point

Cat 13.11 Beta 6. Installing Beta 7 tonight...

OC that card yet? Push it, break it, show us what it can do!

I'm interested in Litecoin as well - not great at setting the command line parms, but can run with standard 7970 settings and see what happens.

LTC was showing 270-300 k/hash with the same settings as my 7970's getting 500ish khash. Seems there's some tweaking to do and I'm too tired to bother. If you have config parm pointers I'd be glad to try them out for you.

As for power, I forgot to look at the killawatt - will do so at some point

I'm seeing about 325W of total system power at stock. Project 7810 doing 150-160k PPD after a few frames.

AndyE, got any more budget for some high-quality R9 290X pr0n and benchmarking? :D

Sorry for late response.

No, won't get one. I am using my cards not only for folding but multiple other things.
The 290X has very low double FP performance (only 1/8 of single precision FP) vs. other AMD cards which have a 1:4 ratio. Like my 7970 GE cards.

cheers,
Andy

OK I'm still working on this.

If a 7970 gets around 120K PPD at a roughly 1:50 TPF, and the 290X is around 30% faster (in theoretical TFLOPS), which would result in TPF of 1:17 and a PPD around 200k. I believe the GTX 780 and Titan are around 150k PPD if I'm not mistaken. 200k would be a pretty impressive result.

My system is producing the following:

Intel i7 4820K @ 4.3 GHz
8 GB DataRamDisk
HD [email protected] 8900 (254, 6, 11) TPF 3' 40" 118145 PPD

HD [email protected] 8900 (254, 0, 116) TPF 3' 39" 118917 PPD
@1.1GHz 8900 (557, 1, 147) TPF 3' 39" 118904 PPD

GTX [email protected] 8900 (899, 1, 35) TPF 3' 4" 154201 PPD

TOTAL System 509000 +- PPD

Your TPF's my be a tad off.

Back