ATI produce tool to increase Doom3 scores

Improvements 'of up to 35%' are explicitly mentioned by sources within ATI.

I'd like to know what system specs were used by ATI that yielded 36%
boost in D3 but these folks only got 19%.

http://www.guru3d.com/news.html#3182

:p

Guru3D;

The test was run on an Athlon 4000+ system with 1 GB memory and a Radeon X1800 XL 256MB.

thylantyr said:
Improvements 'of up to 35%' are explicitly mentioned by sources within ATI.

I'd like to know what system specs were used by ATI that yielded 36%
boost in D3 but these folks only got 19%.

http://www.guru3d.com/news.html#3182

:p

Guru3D;

The test was run on an Athlon 4000+ system with 1 GB memory and a Radeon X1800 XL 256MB.

It's the 512MB that helped in the Hexus Benchmark. Notice the test was run on Ultra high Quality. I've been all over the forums about this already. Ultra high runs best on a 512mb card. Otherwise texture compression is required and requires additional calculating by the gpu. In Guru 3d benchmark they used the XL with 256MB and got a 19% bost at times. Hexus used the XT with 2x the memory and got roughly double. It's pretty consistent. I think ATI managed to squeese more efficiency out of the memory on the cards. When the 512MB GTX comes out It will probably beat the XT even with this optimization on it.

Lord_Exodia said:
It's the 512MB that helped in the Hexus Benchmark. Notice the test was run on Ultra high Quality. I've been all over the forums about this already. Ultra high runs best on a 512mb card. Otherwise texture compression is required and requires additional calculating by the gpu. In Guru 3d benchmark they used the XL with 256MB and got a 19% bost at times. Hexus used the XT with 2x the memory and got roughly double. It's pretty consistent. I think ATI managed to squeese more efficiency out of the memory on the cards. When the 512MB GTX comes out It will probably beat the XT even with this optimization on it.

again The Ultra mode in doom3 ran the same with 256mb x800xl and 512mb x800xl. So i dont know how 512mb card is improving the performence when clearly the 512mb x800xl Cards showed no diffrence.

swatX said:
again The Ultra mode in doom3 ran the same with 256mb x800xl and 512mb x800xl. So i dont know how 512mb card is improving the performence when clearly the 512mb x800xl Cards showed no diffrence.

On my rig Doom 3 ran the same in High Quality and Ultra mode. There was no discernable difference in FPS or feel of the game.

The 512MB statement is a fact, it came from the mouth of John Carmack himself. I believe it's even in the readme of the game. The reason you guys didn't notice any performance difference is because the game is capped at 60 fps where a timedemo isn't. With the GTX you probably kept hitting the 60 fps wall with the cards so you wont notice any difference if for example the game were uncapped, perhaps at very high you would get 105fps and at ultra high you would get 76fps. Also if you weren't monitoring the fps with either fraps or the r_showfps 1 console command you wouldn't be able to tell easily. The game feels smooth on the lower fps areas like 20-30. I've played it on a FX 5700 before and it felt smooth even on ultra.

Lord_Exodia said:
The 512MB statement is a fact, it came from the mouth of John Carmack himself. I believe it's even in the readme of the game. The reason you guys didn't notice any performance difference is because the game is capped at 60 fps where a timedemo isn't. With the GTX you probably kept hitting the 60 fps wall with the cards so you wont notice any difference if for example the game were uncapped, perhaps at very high you would get 105fps and at ultra high you would get 76fps. Also if you weren't monitoring the fps with either fraps or the r_showfps 1 console command you wouldn't be able to tell easily. The game feels smooth on the lower fps areas like 20-30. I've played it on a FX 5700 before and it felt smooth even on ultra.

This is false. Tests have shown almost no discernable differences between 512mb and 256mb cards in Doom3 Ultra. What was noticed is that there was less hitching between scenes (for instance when a door is opened to a new area) with the 512mb cards. However this was not demonstratable through benchmarks. Similar case with 1gb vs 2gb debate. Hitching issues are resolved with 2gb's that 1gb systems experience, but the difference is not demonstratable with benchmarks.

In addition, there would be no reason why Hexus experienced the increase do to the 512mb memory. The video card was the same before and after the tweak was applied.

I'm telling you John Carmack said it himself. Textures in Ultra are 512x512. I didn't mean that they changed the ram during the test I mean the Card had 512MB of ram. Why do you think the X1800XL with only 256MB Saw such a small increase compared to the X1800XT. Again it's pretty consistent. Look it up. It's a carmack quote. I think he might know a thing or 2 about doom 3 ;)

In a timedemo the game is not capped at 60fps as it is in single player. You wouldn't notice a difference in the game there as you will keep hitting the 60fps wall. If the game were uncapped you would probably then notice a difference as in Very high you could get 90fps (guestimate) and in ultra high you would get 69fps.(guestimate). You would notice that. The game normally will not let you notice this. Google it if you have further doubts.

Okay folks I'm becomming exhausted. So I caved in. I did the legwork for ya ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6104596/p-6.html

"Ultra Quality: According to id's Robert Duffy, the Ultra Quality setting requires a 512MB graphics card to run without a hitch since this setting uses uncompressed data that can take up a lot of memory space. Shuffling all this data around can cause some slowdown."

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDE=

"Ultra Quality is basically reserved for 512MB video cards that are not yet on the market." Kyle Bennett source the official Doom 3 [H]ardware guide

"Ultra Quality is the cream of the crop for DOOM 3. In Ultra Quality nothing is compressed. Normal maps, and specular and diffuse lighting are all displayed at full resolution with no compression. Because of this, there is a tremendous amount of texture data needed on the video card, upwards of 500MB. While it will run on lesser cards, you may experience hitching or pausing due to the graphics card having to swap textures in and out of its memory buffer. That is why this setting is recommended for 512MB video cards. There is nothing stopping you from trying this quality setting if you want to, just keep in mind that the memory load is huge. Once again Kyle Bennett Doom 3 Official [H]ardware Guide

Back