ATI picking up the pace with the 4870 X2?

Vegasr

Gawd
With NV's ongoing price cuts, wonder if ATI is trying to get the 4870 X2 out any faster?

That's what I'm hoping for too. Would be great if its available towards the end of July.

If it launched today I'd bust out my credit card now and order two for CF-X.

I was hoping to hear some plausible rumors in this thread instead of also saying "me too" LoL

With the way the 280 is dropping I'd imagine ATI will adjust prices accordingly. They could release it for more than the 280 and still sell a bunch but at this point the money won't be worth as much as getting ATI cards into people's homes. They need the base.

With the way the 280 is dropping I'd imagine ATI will adjust prices accordingly. They could release it for more than the 280 and still sell a bunch but at this point the money won't be worth as much as getting ATI cards into people's homes. They need the base.

It's not about base as much as it about brand. In a year well all be taking our 4870x2's and GTX 280's to the recycling center. The key questions for AMD/ATI is can they consistently produce top notch products and not hemorrhage money. One impressive generation of GPUs isn't going to save AMD any more than one one bad generation of GPUs is going to kill nVidia.

Now if this time next year the 5800's are all the rage and the GTX 300's are over priced and slow by comparison, AMD may be onto something. I can pretty much guarantee that next year AMD won't have the impressive lead have in performance vs. price that they have now unless everyone at nVidia is drunk.

Once you have a hit, the second one is harder but we shall see. Maybe AMD is on pace to be the #1 GPU maker in the world in terms of technology for 5 years to come. We shall see.

If the avalibility of DDR5 is the reson they can´t rush the release mutch if they want a hard launch.
The only way the adjustment is going is up and beyond 650USD when they realise how fast it is and then cash in until they are forced to lower it, if nvidia can so can ATI.

If I'm ATI right now, I'd want to get the 4870 X2 out ASAP. The more time the GTX 280 is available for close to $400, the more I think ATI is losing some market share.

I don't think its a lack of GDDR5. If it were only that, it would be on the market for sale, but just low stock levels. It might be more time required to refine the drivers for it.

Is there an release date of the 4870 X2?

[...] The key questions for AMD/ATI is can they consistently produce top notch products and not hemorrhage money. One impressive generation of GPUs isn't going to save AMD any more than one one bad generation of GPUs is going to kill nVidia.

Now if this time next year the 5800's are all the rage and the GTX 300's are over priced and slow by comparison, AMD may be onto something. I can pretty much guarantee that next year AMD won't have the impressive lead have in performance vs. price that they have now unless everyone at nVidia is drunk.

Once you have a hit, the second one is harder but we shall see. Maybe AMD is on pace to be the #1 GPU maker in the world in terms of technology for 5 years to come. We shall see.

QFT. For the consumers, the ideal situation is ATI and NVIDIA trading blows every generation

The ATI driver-team must be working hard right now to get that killer performance.

Riiiight. The 4800 series has been out now for a month and they still don't even have official drivers for the cards that are currently on the market. At least their price and performance are right. Overall these cards are awesome even with the craptastic drivers.

I'd say ati already picked up the slack with the 4850 and the 4870. I guarantee that the 4870 is out selling the gtx280 by a land slide. The 4850 is selling like hot cakes on the egg.

I've heard sources the card comes out like the 12th of August. I wish this card would come out now, since we've seen the benchmarks. I guess ATI delayed it because of driver issues, I don't know?

As far as we know, the card is on its way already and will be released in August. ATI is already rushing to get it out the door, so I doubt they could release it any sooner than they've been planning without encountering supply issues.

Back