ATI pays 1+ million dollars for Dirt 2 DX11 support

Blah I hope this doesn't turn into another Half-Life 2 debacle (although if Dirt 2 is even half as good as HL2, it'll be well worth the wait).

Anyway I don't see what the big deal is. By the time Dirt 2 comes out, GT300 will probably be here as well. Then both sides of the fanboy world will benefit from this graphical upgrade. It's not like DX11 is a proprietary ATI technology. . .

Nice! good find my friend. Lets see what these red fans say now haha. Nvidia rulez! AMD droolz. high five*

What a biased article. I'm disappointed, Fuad. You're no better than Charlie that way. No neutrality?

Well, both Nvidia and AMD are doing this, its part of the business IMHO. AMD has a temporary advantage with DX11, so I understand why. Nvidia would do the same, they're both companies trying to earn our money.

Both AMD and Nvidia cards can use these extra effects, so both sides will benefit.

wow, blatantly calling ATI's cards "heavily overpriced DirectX 11 cards" is rediculous since they haven't even launched yet... Bad form

It's troll season.
This forum seem to currently drown in the bitter desperate rage of a few fanatics.
Worse than ever in my short time here.

It's Fuad. And if it's true, so what?

Br

I see no problem with this. DX11 is going to be the new standard and will work with either sides cards. They are giving them extra money to help them put new technology in their games and give a boost to all video card development / sales. A welcome change since we have been getting watered down crap meant to run on consoles. Its not like they are paying them to have it use something proprietary like PhysX or something.

Heavily overpriced? It performs close to the GTX295 at $100+ cheaper and uses less power. How is that overpriced?

Nice! good find my friend. Lets see what these red fans say now haha. Nvidia rulez! AMD droolz. high five*

YEAH!!! Suck on that all you ATI lovers, You are all fanboy noobs that need to learn that its lonely on the Red side because they suck in comparison to the graphic lords Nvidia!

*sarcasm*

Man it is dumb to play favorites in this industry. You lose the ability to attain the best value which could be provided by either side. Funny stuff

Yeah don't listen to em. FUDzilla is one of the most credible sources they just can't stand the truth man.

well nvidia pays for hardware physix support even more

5 millions

Oh no! Companies funding the support of their offerings to increase market share... Such evil that could compromise the good of man kind must be dealt with swiftly with an iron fist! Someone call Jack Bauer!

On a more serious note. Any company that puts money into other companies to support their products new extra abilities is a plus in my books, gives me a reason to buy the game if the enhancements are good enough!

wow, blatantly calling ATI's cards "heavily overpriced DirectX 11 cards" is rediculous since they haven't even launched yet... Bad form

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've never thought of him as being overly Green though.

I think he is just echoing some sentiment I've seen that AMD seems to be abandoning their previous strategy. They made a big deal out of segmenting the graphics card market at particular price points and now they seem to have forgotten just what those segments were, namely the imaginary line at $299.

I think it's just sour grapes at having to dig out an extra hundy for something you want really really badly. :D

Double standards are hilarious :)

So you made this thread just to provoke reactions? That's it?

Anyway, both Nvidia and AMD are companies who want to earn money and want to make use of every advantage they can get. There's no difference for me between them.

Need you even ask? The omission of a [Fudzilla] or [Fuad] tag in the thread title is most disturbing considering how much rallying against our good friend Charlie Silus does (not that I blame him, exactly).

Double standards indeed.

Need you even ask? The omission of a [Fudzilla] or [Fuad] tag in the thread title is most disturbing considering how much rallying against our good friend Charlie Silus does (not that I blame him, exactly).

Actually, I was one of the few that did include that tag in the thread titles. Why did I stop ? No particular reason. I actually forgot about that with this one.

As for the reasons, it's pretty obvious that I was aiming it at the red fans that day after day, especially at the time of Crysis and the 8800s (and even today), hammered their point of NVIDIA bribing developers. And now with this. It's funny to watch the double standards of some of them and I have no problems in admitting I did it with that as part of the purpose :)

I didn't offend anyone in the process (as what happens with "others") and the thread does provide some important "info"/rumor.

And I really don't understand how you can compare Charlie and Fuad. Both spread rumors and that's the only thing I can compare them with. Other than that, Charlie is an obvious AMD fanboy, with obvious AMD banners all over his "site", that only writes (and often makes up) stuff about how bad NVIDIA is.

No, not "just" it, but partially, yes.

The "info"/rumor is a valuable one nonetheless and thus was posted.

jh24 said:
Anyway, both Nvidia and AMD are companies who want to earn money and want to make use of every advantage they can get. There's no difference for me between them.

If that's true, then the part aimed at the red fans claiming NVIDIA bribes in the present and past, was not aimed at you.

Fair enough. You seem to be honest about your intent :)

As for comparing Charlie and Fuad, yup, they both fabricate information for hits. Thus, I find it unbecoming when people make threads relating to anything they post when it isn't made very clear that the source is from a rumor site. It's not unreasonable to assume that some users here aren't familiar with either of them, don't read the linked article (or don't read it thoroughly) and assume the information is accurate simply because nothing is clearly stated to the contrary. Just a minor gripe.

Sad part is that "DIRT2" had really pull a rabbit out of the hat, as "NFS - Shift" is the first NFS title in years i have enjoyed gaming...the thight steering, the focus on in-car view ( I hate chase cams in car games)...the feel of the car on the road...funny part is that "NFS- Shift" is a CPU PhysX game...DX11 vs DX10/Physx already in motion.

Oh no! Companies funding the support of their offerings to increase market share... Such evil that could compromise the good of man kind must be dealt with swiftly with an iron fist! Someone call Jack Bauer!

WTF is Jack Bauer? You're obviously mistaken, this is a job for Chuck Norris.

I can't wait for Dirt2 PC. I won't be jumping to DX11 for quite sometime though. Overall, this article is just dumb, and as mentioned ATI isn't the only company doing this. Nvidia does it. Intel does it. AMD simply can't afford to do it, but most assuredly would given the cash... Nothing new, and nothing amazingly horrible, either. What possesses fanboys?

No, not "just" it, but partially, yes.

The "info"/rumor is a valuable one nonetheless and thus was posted.

If that's true, then the part aimed at the red fans claiming NVIDIA bribes in the present and past, was not aimed at you.

Ah, I understand. :) I admit I didn't really know what to think when i read the first sentence in your post. But its indeed still information.

I wasn't really familiar with Fuad, although I personally had a reasonably good impression of him regarding articles (Not regarding accuracy, but more regarding neutrality), but his last one surprised me quite a bit.

I admit I was an ATI fanatic years ago, but I've learned my lesson now. Looking back I regret that I wasted so much time by hating Nvidia, so to speak. Afterwards, I've owned Nvidia and ATI cards and never had any kind of problems with either brand.

This time I'll probably go AMD. I want to buy a new computer when Windows 7 is released, and unless Nvidia has some interesting news about their newest generation (I really hope so) I'll go for a HD 5850.

Last edited:
Hmmm, some noted individuals aren't crying about Fuad and Charlie and their inaccurate reporting - I wonder why? Oh, right, this is about AMD. Well, have fun invalidating yourselves. :rolleyes:

Anyway, how is this news? If companies want their specific feature coded into a game, they have to pay for it. There's no way a developer is going to waste its time with the extra coding without some kind of compensation.

The difference will be to see if AMD's DX11 effects really are extra features unique to DX11 and not just effects that could have been done in DX10, but are completely absent from the setting. Because we already have a certain green company that castrates games to pimp their proprietary solutions.

Well, at least he admits it, this thread is meant to provoke people :rolleyes:

Seriously, you know when a video card release is imminent when people start e-arguing like their life depends on it

Anyways, since we know that XFX is offering the DiRT2 coupon/voucher and all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual deal (which Fuad incorrectly interprets, to no surprise) is similar to the Valve HL2 one where the cards come with the vouchers

So they paid 1mil to add dx11 support.

Beats paying to have dx 10.1 support removed.

Fuad is likely a bit pissed off because he got thrown out of the USS Hornet GPU event because he would not sign an NDA on the technology. He also lost access to any samples. Theo signed the NDA to stay and get samples. Why they are invited in the first place does make me wonder sometimes though.

On topic, NVIDIA spends tens of millions a year on game support. Nothing to see here, move along.

Double standards are hilarious :)

What's hilarious is that you'll whine about news rumors that have negative implications for nVidia, yet you will actively post news rumors that have negative implications for ATi, with a smiley. Actually, this news post doesn't really have negative negative implications, just the fact that there are not a lot of DX11 games (true), but the fact is, you'll attempt to provoke and prod at ATi fans with rumors. Now Silus, read very carefully what I wrote, and take a look at yourself, your own denial of the fact that you're just pro-nV, your own claim that all you're doing is trying to negate the relevance of rumor articles. You're not very convincing.

I think as of the posting of this thread, everyone knows that you're a clear nVidia fanboy, and everytime in the future, when you try to reuse the same old arguments when someone accuses you of this, I will post a link to this thread.

I don't get why this is such flame war material. Is there anybody who DOESN'T want dx11 support in Dirt 2?

ATI desperately need to push the sales of its heavily overpriced DirectX 11 cards that are supposed to launch on September 23rd (two days from press time) and having games such as Dirt 2 and Stalker 2 might help.

What is this crap? Overpriced?

Considering the fact that 5870 is 2x the performance of hd 4890 and it is a 40nM single die solution I do not see the current pricing as "Overpriced".

Wow fud....completely forget the $650+ GTX 280 already?

I don't get why this is such flame war material. Is there anybody who DOESN'T want dx11 support in Dirt 2?

It isn't supposed to be really. It's two things:

1 - Silus is posting a rumor as alleged news.
2 - He's making it out to be flame war material.

A bribe would be if you told the programmers of Dirt 2 to make the game not work on nVidia cards, or if you made the game extremely reliant on a proprietary technology, such as PhysX. Certainly, no game is DirectX 11 only.

Seriously? I know he's not the brightest crayon in the box, but someone in his position should realize NDA is required for samples.

Well apparently it has not been for a while now, but ATI is becoming less and less of a cowboy organization under the AMD banner.

What's hilarious is that you'll whine about news rumors that have negative implications for nVidia, yet you will actively post news rumors that have negative implications for ATi, with a smiley. Actually, this news post doesn't really have negative negative implications, just the fact that there are not a lot of DX11 games (true), but the fact is, you'll attempt to provoke and prod at ATi fans with rumors. Now Silus, read very carefully what I wrote, and take a look at yourself, your own denial of the fact that you're just pro-nV, your own claim that all you're doing is trying to negate the relevance of rumor articles. You're not very convincing.

I think as of the posting of this thread, everyone knows that you're a clear nVidia fanboy, and everytime in the future, when you try to reuse the same old arguments when someone accuses you of this, I will post a link to this thread.

Yeah this is pretty much what I gathered from reading his posts. He'll start an argument in every single ATI rumor thread (let's not forget the RV770 480sp vs 800sp debacle), yet accept any positive nvidia rumor as true and awesome and oh god I can't wait for the next nvidia part.

Yea, that is quite an intelligence fail right there, but back on topic I think that this isn't a bad thing, if this is the way hardware makers support works now I'm good with it. This supports both sides and drives development.

Back