ATI or Nvidia NextGen DX10 card for Conroe setup

Are you planning on your new Conroe build around SLI or Crossfire (or even single)

• Total voters
Just like the title says, are you planning your new conroe build around ATI or Nvidia next gen cards?

Ive read some things about AMD and Nvidia being buddies and ATI and Intel buddying up.

and how some ppl are saying the nforce 5 boards for conroe will be crap and we should switch to ATI.

Just want some other people's opinions!

This is kind of silly since we have no idea about performance at this point.

That being said, however, I'm buying an ATi card because I may want to upgrade to a dual GPU setup with a 975 chipset.

People most likely pick the brand they have had the most luck with. I know I had an Nvidia card, then switched to a 9800pro ages ago. Since then I've only bought ATI cards because the cards have run perfect for me and I like the brand.

But I'm sure someone is just opposite of me, they had ATI and switched to Nvidia thus now they enjoy Nvidia cards.

It's the same thing with any product people buy be it cars, stereos, kitchen appliances. You have experiences with a certain brand and take the one that works the best for you.

BlueFridays said:
y does every 1 pick ATI?...

There is a good reason for this selection.

I will be pairing two X1900XT's (already have) with my conroe to start and see what I see next generation

I picked ATI because I like the r600 unified shader approach much better, and their GPU physics processing seems way better than what Nvidia is offering and has shown. So I will use my current x1900 as a physics card later on when I get a Dx10 card. I also think MS and ATI might be working closer together because ATI makes the 360's GPU. And mind you I'm no fan, I used to own a 6800 before upgrading to my x1900.

I say it still to early to say. no DX10 cards, and right now a bunch of early FUD about CPUs. I will wait till I see some "REAL" world looks at this new stuff...

Probably the R600, just because ATI seems to be very very confident in it. Time will tell though.

Too early to say who will draw first blood with Directx 10. I think people are somewhat underestimating the Geforce 8 card.

I think its funny.. one day.. "omg! ati is the suxxorz!".. few weeks later" Omg! Nvidia TeH suxxorz!".

probably going ATI / Crossfire. Always been with Nvidia and would like to give ATI a try.

Great thread.

No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really.

edit:

And to make this post slightly more on topic,

I'd say unless you're an idiot fannyboy, the majority are gonna wait and see which is the fastest with acceptable image quality.

Sable said:
Great thread.

No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really. No, really.

edit:

I'd say unless you're an idiot fannyboy, the majority are gonna wait and see which is the fastest with acceptable image quality.

Are you a moron?? Seems likely

Screw them both, I'm going Intel cpu with a SiS chipset with an onboard intel extreme graphics card! And to sweeten the deal I'm gonna buy it from Alienware (Dell just bought them so I know they must be the highest quality and highest end computers ever!)... All that for only over $2500!

Or perhaps I'll just stick to consoles, where's that NES I had when I was 8, anyhow? I know I left it in my closet somewhere...

Sable said:
Great thread.

edit:

Cut and paste FTW!

neather i plan on going S3 delta chrome, i've heard its already compatable

thore

I like ATi's approach of 3 PCI Express slots. I'll more then likely pair two R600's (no dongle) and use my x1900XTX as a physics processing card.

But I'm also leaning on a DFI Lanparty 975x based board with two R600's in Crossfire.
I've always liked Intel Chipsets. They always seem to have the lowest incompatibility problems and seem very stable. Oh and they support Crossfire too.

I also like ATi's vision of DX10, they seem so confident as another poster said and soo in touch with the endless posibilities using a VPU for more then graphics.

nVIDIA's G80 seems to be purely muscle for graphics.. but it's really too early to tell. I'm 100% certain G80 will be FAR more advanced then R580/+ but not soo certain about it besting R600.

Sable said:
Great thread.

edit:

hardly being a !!!!!!. i just plan on using saved up cash to start purchasing conroe compatible parts (mobo, cpu, etc.) a little after they are released.

I also plan on getting a 30" LCD (benq 30") when released, and wanted to get something (GPU) to drive it. Which is where the next gen card questions come in. Its either get an ATI crossfire ready mobo at launch or a nvidia nforce 570/590.

I mean i can use my current 7800GTX in either now, its just having something that is READY for next gen dual cards, and would be (i guess there is no inside info, reallY) that would show a winner between Nvidia and ATI yet.

meh

thenixhex311 said:
(i guess there is no inside info, reallY) that would show a winner between Nvidia and ATI yet.
Nope.
The next few months will be entertaining though. The nvidia and ATi fanboys will be out in full force as the rumors about xxxx card being xxxx faster than xxxx card in xxxx game. It never fails. Then we will hear rumors about delays and yield problems. Theories about which card draws more power or puts off more heat or has a cooler that is too loud. People will be banned. Blood will be spilled.

And in the end, we won't know anything until both cards are released (around the end of 2006), and performance between the two companies will likely be very similar, depending on which game engine is in question.

Bottom line is, buy whichever card you feel like buying.

Back