ATI making their new cards AGP8x?

well, are they? there is a thread in gen. [H]ardware talking about them only making the R420 being a rumor. I would get an Nvidia card, but i(like many others) still dont trust them.

i hope they make an AGP8x because i dont feel like getting a new motherboard just to waste more money on extra bandwidth i wont use(PCI-E), because i just got an NF7-S:D

There was a roadmap that was public, i'll see if I can find it later, but it showed R420 as AGP8X and R423 as PCI-E

R420 is AGP and R423 is PCI-E but that doesn't mean they won't use some sort PCI-E to AGP bridge to sell the R423s to the majority of consumers (assuming there's no rush on Grantsdale/Alderwood and socket 939 with PCI-E.)

Odds are that the only difference between the 420 and the 423 is going to be the AGP/PE interface so there'd be no real advantage to using a bridge chip until they plan on dropping high-end AGP parts, something I doubt that'll happen for a few more product cycles.

My only question is yes PCI express is theroretically 15-20% faster than 8x agp but will it show a real gain
Reason behind my madness:
People say going from 4x to 8x is a 1-5% performance gain. Big whoop. So is pci-e really gonna be the shit or is it just gonna be a marketing thing

Originally posted by Cloud15x
My only question is yes PCI express is theroretically 15-20% faster than 8x agp but will it show a real gain
Reason behind my madness:
People say going from 4x to 8x is a 1-5% performance gain. Big whoop. So is pci-e really gonna be the shit or is it just gonna be a marketing thing
my exact thoughts.. 4x to 8x did little.. I highly doubt 16x will be any different.

PCI-E is more than just more bandwidth to system memory

the whole communications to the card is different than agp

current expectations are 10% improvement over the agp bus (at the same speed)

Back