ATI HDTV Wonder vs. TV Wonder 650

Harb

Limp Gawd
I'm building something of a HTPC, and I need to get an HDTV tuner because my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 doesn't have one built in. I've done a lot of looking through forums but couldn't find the answers I needed, so sorry if this has been asked before.

I need help deciding between the ATI HDTV Wonder and the ATI TV Wonder 650.

I will be using this card at school to watch SDTV as well as some cable HDTV channels and OTA HDTV. I'm comfortable buying either of these cards for this use; I am leaning towards the HDTV Wonder simply because it comes with an antenna and remote.

I will also be using it at home over the summer to watch HDTV through our Time Warner Digital Cable service; will either of these cards allow me to connect to my digital cable box and get a 1080i or p signal?

Do these two cards offer similar video quality? I like the HDTV Wonder because of the previously mentioned accessories, and it's a bit cheaper. The 650 is newer and I am lead to believe that it may be more refined beacuse of that. Which should I go with?

Thanks!

I need help deciding between the ATI HDTV Wonder and the ATI TV Wonder 650.
Well, thats easy considering the HD Wonder is a POS.
will either of these cards allow me to connect to my digital cable box and get a 1080i or p signal?
No, infact no card will do this. For this you need a CableCard equipped PC which only happens if you buy a new OEM machine and you have $2000+ to throw around. Even then there are problems getting it working right.

The short and sweet answer is to get a Hauppauge HVR 1600 and go analog out from your cable box to the tuner.
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_in...sc-and-ntsc-pci-retail/cName/hdtv-tuner-cards

So the Hauppauge HVR 1600 is better than the 250 or 550 or any of "50" models, I am looking into one as well.

So the Hauppauge HVR 1600 is better than the 250 or 550 or any of "50" models, I am looking into one as well.
Model has nothing to do with "how good" they are.

The PVR 500 is like having two PVR150s in a single card. The PVR150 is better then the (older, much older) PVR250 and 350. The HVR1600 is a bit better (when it comes to analog) then the PVR150 and it's like it have a HVR950 ATSC stick tuner graphed on to it.

Thanks for the help. Just ordered a HVR 1600 for a little over 92$ shipped. What sort of antenna should I invest in if I want to get OTA HDTV?

Depends on where you live and how close you are to a tower. Check out Antennaweb.org

its a shame the market is there, but hte products are not

whats the difference between the HVR-1600 and ati 650?

whats the difference between the HVR-1600 and ati 650?
For one the HVR1600 can record both analog and digital at the same time; the 650 can not. The 650 can only record one SB or one HD source at a time; you can't, say, record from an STB (analog) while also recording House in HD (digital) even though they're completely different actions. The 1600 is an actual Hybrid tuner.

As much as I like ATI as a video card company it just seems they never got the tuner thing figured out. I’ve been though 3 models and had people give me a few and as vid cards they are ok, but as tuners they leave a lot to be desired.

On the other hand when I switched to Hauppauge, primarily out of frustration I was shocked with the performance of the PVR-150. I paid $69.00 for it on sale at CC figuring I had nothing to lose. It came with remote, remote eye and all the software. Although the software is not perfect it is very functional, especially the revised Vista versions. Either on Cable input or Ant input the picture is always crystal clear. I have installed a number of their other boards for customers and never ever had a complaint.

Re their software, they are even nice enough on their site to recommend different products that they admit go deeper and give more control.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

I’ve yet to find a better card for the PC. One note to keep in mind with any Video card and many people forget about it. Always make sure you have a really good ground to your PC case. I’ve seen a few people with shaky wiring in their homes and when they attach the cable to the card "poof", lost card (no matter who makes the card) or lost PC. A good power strip (Monster or better) with a ground check built in is always a good investment.

Luck

Back