ATI HDTV Wonder users.

Puterguru

2[H]4U
Just wondering if you think the card is worth it?

I currently do not own an HDTV. I spend allot of time on the PC and not much in front of the TV. I already have a TV Wonder card installed.

I thought it might be nice to get the HDTV before the big Superbowl game. ;)

Anyways, is it worth the cash, currently $175 on Newegg. I've read all of the reviews and realize there are some software issues. I'll assume I can overcome the installation problems and that I'll have a relatively good signal.

Let me know.

Thanks.

lets just say you won't be able to tell the difference between the regular video out on your gfx card going to an hdtv, than using that hdtv card.

don't get it.

Puterguru said:
Maybe no-one owns this card? :confused:

I'm guessing the current state of HDTV content provision probably has more to do with it.....most people I know don't even have a clue about OTA HDTV broadcasts, and most aren't much interested in paying extra in their cable for 3-5 channels of HD.

whoami? said:
I'm guessing the current state of HDTV content provision probably has more to do with it.....most people I know don't even have a clue about OTA HDTV broadcasts, and most aren't much interested in paying extra in their cable for 3-5 channels of HD.

Bingo, I thought about getting this myself, but my monitor is not widescreen and does not scale up the resolutions for 1080i. Plus I only have one OTA station in my area. Either way most are displayed in 720p, but that is still a natively widescreen.

I have heard good and bad about this card, but there hasn't been anything to reel me in.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/video/20040917/index.html

I know its Toms, but still a good read

I just read this on Toms Hardware.

"The back of the card has three connectors: one for for the HDTV antenna, one for analog cable TV or an analog antenna and one for the ATi purple breakout box. The HDTV Wonder will not accept HDTV signals from cable boxes or satellite boxes"

Does this mean that I can't hook up my cable to it and receive HDTV that it is Only OTA??

Puterguru said:

"The back of the card has three connectors: one for for the HDTV antenna, one for analog cable TV or an analog antenna and one for the ATi purple breakout box. The HDTV Wonder will not accept HDTV signals from cable boxes or satellite boxes"

Does this mean that I can't hook up my cable to it and receive HDTV that it is Only OTA??

No I do not believe so, Ati HDTV wonder I Believe only recieves HDTV signal OTA. I know there are cards out there that will recieve the signals neccessary for your cable connections, but I am sure they are pricey.

The cable hook-up the Ati HDTV wonder has is your normal Tuner card connection for analog televions

Puterguru said:

Yes, that's exactly what it means. - And yes, you are right.. "That sucks" -- But all of the other manufacturers products out there are EXACTLY the same way.

Some even use the very same antenna (herringbone thing)

Wow I had no idea. I'm glad I posted this thread, thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to try to find out what the state of OTA signals are in my area.

Get an HD card from Dvico. I own a fusion 2 and love it (they have newer cards now). They update thier software and drivers frequently. I havent had any software issues with my card in over a year.

HybridHB said:
Get an HD card from Dvico. I own a fusion 2 and love it (they have newer cards now). They update thier software and drivers frequently. I havent had any software issues with my card in over a year.
Would this one be ok? It's still OTA though correct?
Dvico

Just got mine....going to install it either later today or tomorrow will keep you guys posted...too bad i have a nvidia card, well we see how it goes...

System:
Intel P4 3.4E
Asus P5AD2-E Premium
WD 74GD Raptor
Maxtor 9GB generic
1024mb Corsair PC5400
nvidia 6600GT PCIe
Audigy2 ZS
Plextor 716A
NEC DVD5500
Apple 23" Cinema HD/Panasonic PT-AE 700U
Denon 3805/Denon DVD 3910
Axiom M22ti/Boston Acoustics/SVS sub....

ImLazZzy said:
Just got mine....going to install it either later today or tomorrow will keep you guys posted...too bad i have a nvidia card, well we see how it goes...

System:
Intel P4 3.4E
Asus P5AD2-E Premium
WD 74GD Raptor
Maxtor 9GB generic
1024mb Corsair PC5400
nvidia 6600GT PCIe
Audigy2 ZS
Plextor 716A
NEC DVD5500
Apple 23" Cinema HD/Panasonic PT-AE 700U
Denon 3805/Denon DVD 3910
Axiom M22ti/Boston Acoustics/SVS sub....
Did you get a Dvico or an ATI HDTV wonder? The Dvico does look pretty darn good.
I wonder if the Superbowl will be on one of the OTA stations in my area. ;)

HybridHB said:
Yeah thats the one, ive only dealt with digital connection though and the service is great. I think theyre a sponsor on avsforum.com

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/fusion3qt.asp
Thanks, I am really leaning towards them instead of the ATI card. There Demo was awesome.

CrimandEvil said:
Theres enough problems with ATI's card for me not recommend other stay away from it, that Fusion card is currently one the best HD tuners out there.

Things you need to read on HD tuners:
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7678
http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10238
That was EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks.

My experience with ATI HDTV Wonder was frustrating. The hardware and driver/software install was a breeze. But when I started the DTV player from the launch pad, I got "DTV player failed to initialize" error. It took me about an hour trouble-shooting and resolved the problem by installing the decoder seperately. When the player finally came up, I started channel scanning. It picked up 23 channels such as PBS Kid, PBS Create, World, ABC and so forth but I noticed some serious reception issues: First off, the location of my house being kinda far from transmitters rendered the indoor antenna pretty much useless. The signals for some channels were not stable so images were periodically choppy. Also, for some reasons, all HD 1080i channels only had sound but no image. 720i channels were displayed in a letterbox on my Apple 23" Cinema HD while the 480is were not looking good at all. Second, auto dropouts were seriously annoying altho the signal meter showed 90% strengh. I believe this is an issue associated with the decoder itself. When for some moments its working, the 720i images and the digital sound were amazing. I tried the analog decoder as well and I was so not impressed. the images were all grainy and muddy. Anyways, I'd spent some more time long enough trying to improve everything before I gave it all up. Considering all the channels received were pretty much news and educational/historical documentories, I don't feel like spending more on a roof antenna, a signal amplifier or stuff like that to enhance the reception. For now, I think I'd be better off getting a quality analog tuner.

If you have the room for it, get an outdoor antenna and just leave it inside. I live 80 miles from all the broadcast towers and had reception problems using indoor amped antennas. I went to radioshack and bought their UHF-only directional antenna for $16. This thing pulls all those signals in nice and strong, recption strength is around 92% on most channels. This is unamped as well. The only thing is that i have this big antenna laying on the floor, lol.

Whats your handler in that thread? I didn't see much about ATI HTDV Wonder save for the DRM....

Back