ATI HD5XXX and Video Playback (Extended)

Nielo TM

Gawd
Has anyone experienced any issues when playing videos on the extended secondary display?

In my case, the AV sync seems to vary and the video either slows or speeds up to compensate. It is becoming extremely annoying as I can't watch any videos without witnessing highly visible frame-jumps.

PS: Does anyone know how fix the broken 0-255 RGB support?

Hardware: HD5450/5770
Drivers: 10.5-10.9

Last edited:
I have a 5450 on a secondary HTPC connected to a Panasonic 42' plasma (My main HTPC has a 4870 connected to a Panasonic 50' plasma) and have experienced none of what you claim. And why are you not listing the rest of your system specs? If you don't have DXVA properly enabled then it's your CPU doing all the video decoding and if it's a shitty one it will struggle and stutter.

Oh and 0-255 RBG YCbCr444 through HDMI is broken on Nvidia hardware, not ATI.

no issues on laptop with a 5400 (studio 15) but then again this is a i5 system running win 7

Playback stability is restored once I've move the window back to the primary display. It only issue if I move to the extended display.

Strange, playback has returned to normal. I'll have to carry out more testing to see if the issues is ATI's drivers or the player itself.

PS: I can't output 0-255 via HDMI on both the 5450 and 5770. Wen I do select on RGB 0-255, the card compress the range to 16-235.

PPS: Do you get the options to enable/configure the latest AVIVO features (de-blocking and mosquito noise reduction) on the HD5450?

You're not giving us much info to work with here. These things are important to mention.
- How is the PC connected to the TV (Edit: ok you answered that)
- How old is the TV
- What media player are you using
- The rest of your system specs would be of help as well.

From the limited information you've given us I'm deducing that you are not experiencing crushed blacks but greys instead of blacks. This can be due to your TV not being capable of accepting 0-255 RGB.
Luckily you can change the pixel format.
2image1.jpg

If I remember correclty the drivers default to YCbCr 444 when freshly installed. Changing them to Full RGB 444 is one of the first things I do after updating drivers.

I review TVs for HDTVtest and I am fully aware of ATI cards as I've been using them for years.

The display in question is the 40C580, which accepts both 16-235 and 0-255. When outputting RGB 0-255 via CCC, the display receives 16-235 compressed signal. So in order to correct the issue, I have to inform the TV to interpret the signal as 16-235 (Low). If I select Normal (interpret as 0-255), the blacks appears gray.

This is not an issues with other sources (e.g. X360). I've reviewed several TV in the past months and had to use the X360 to test for Blacker than Black. Come to think of it, I didn't have the issue with the HD4XXX series

PS: If you don't mind me asking, what wrong with NVIDIA's 4:4:4?

Last edited:
First it was crushing blacks, then they started forcing 16-235 when detecting an HDTV (i.e. gray blacks). This is from personal experience using a gtx260 hooked up to the 42' Panasonic plasma I mentioned earlier using a DVI to HDMI cable.
Full disclosure: I don't know if that's changed with recent drivers or the GTX4xx series because I no longer have the gtx260.

I see. I did have the same issue with 9500GT. I wonder it has been addressed.

Anyway, NVIDIA is not an option for me but it's good be up to date.:)

Back