ATI HD Raedon 5870, less than 15 fps on High for BF3

I don't think the original OP is even watching this thread anymore! :)
Good.
Half the people in this thread are completely insane.

I had a similar problem last year (unrelated to BF3) and being a Q6600 owner I got the same bullshit from this community: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1570207
Apparently having a solid understanding of the tech we're discussing is now less important than just buying the most expensive things on the market.

PC is slow? Must be a bottleneck somewhere. Spend $500.

You are CPU bound with that video card but definitely not 15 fps bound

I am just BARELY GPU bound with a GTX 260 and an overclocked Q6600... on medium-ish @ 1680x1050. I don't get anywhere near 15 though... 35 is the absolute rock bottom minimum in most cases, it's usually floating around 50~ sometimes higher sometimes a bit lower.

srsly though bump up the clockspeed. My CPU literally never saw stock speeds. I figured whatever and on its first boot ever, jumped it to 3.0, undervolted, and it has been stable forever.

you can probably just go straight into the bios, set the FSB to 333, multiplier to 9 and not even touch the voltage. 3.0 is almost a certainty.

Good.
Half the people in this thread are completely insane.

I had a similar problem last year (unrelated to BF3) and being a Q6600 owner I got the same bullshit from this community: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1570207
Apparently having a solid understanding of the tech we're discussing is now less important than just buying the most expensive things on the market.

PC is slow? Must be a bottleneck somewhere. Spend $500.

Yeah, in most cases that mentality is nothing more than a lazy man's panacea.

No, I'm still watching the thread. I just am a little overwhelmed by the amount of information I'm being given on the issue. Not really sure what I should do. If you couldn't already tell I'm still not that experienced with tweaking with computers yet. If it is my processor, I'd like to OC it, but I never could figure out how to do it with my motherboard. If its my graphics card though, I suppose the best thing to try would be to hook it up to another machine and see how it works like someone suggested earlier.

OK, I didn't bother reading the thread, but what drivers are you using? I was using the 11.11 preview 3 drivers and my BF3 FPS went down from 40-50 avg. to 25-35 avg. Now I'm using the 11.12 drivers and the performance is back up. Just a thought, unless you always had low FPS then this may not help.

OK, I didn't bother reading the thread, but what drivers are you using? I was using the 11.11 preview 3 drivers and my BF3 FPS went down from 40-50 avg. to 25-35 avg. Now I'm using the 11.12 drivers and the performance is back up. Just a thought, unless you always had low FPS then this may not help.

I was on 11.09, but I just upgraded to 11.12. I almost never see an improvement in performance though whenever I update my drivers.

I am finding this thread interesting. I have a Q6600 and upgraded from an GeForce 8800 to a Radeon 4890 (Newegg for 80.00 around black friday).

I was playing around with Skyrim, comparing my numbers to my brothers computer, he has a overclocked i5 and a GeForce 460.

My frame rates were about half what his were, which seemed a little off, because according to many benchmarks the 460 and 4890 were pretty close to each other. The 460 was usually ahead, but by maybe 5%, and sometimes the 4890 would pull ahead a bit.

I tried overclocking my 4890 AND the CPU, but didn't see much difference. The one thing is, is that I have really crappy ram, I have 2 2GB sticks, but only 1 works at a time, so I only have 2GB of ram. It's DDR2 which makes it kinda dumb to upgrade since it's so much more expensive compared to DDR3, so at this point I am just going to live with the 2GB of ram until I can afford to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM. But seeing as how the Q6600 is such a capable processor I can't justify spending 600.00 (that I don't have, meaning using a credit card) for a what, 25% increase in games?

By the way, I tried loosening the timings on the ram, raising the voltage, ect.. but the ram is pretty crappy. I actually traded my old DDR2 to my brother since his motherboard wouldn't even post with it. Mine would run with the two sticks at the time, but I would BSOD when installing windows, then I would put the second stick in. Now it BSOD with two sticks no matter what. It's OCZ ram by the way.

I tried overclocking my 4890 AND the CPU, but didn't see much difference. The one thing is, is that I have really crappy ram, I have 2 2GB sticks, but only 1 works at a time, so I only have 2GB of ram. It's DDR2 which makes it kinda dumb to upgrade since it's so much more expensive compared to DDR3, so at this point I am just going to live with the 2GB of ram until I can afford to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM. But seeing as how the Q6600 is such a capable processor I can't justify spending 600.00 (that I don't have, meaning using a credit card) for a what, 25% increase in games?

By the way, I tried loosening the timings on the ram, raising the voltage, ect.. but the ram is pretty crappy. I actually traded my old DDR2 to my brother since his motherboard wouldn't even post with it. Mine would run with the two sticks at the time, but I would BSOD when installing windows, then I would put the second stick in. Now it BSOD with two sticks no matter what. It's OCZ ram by the way.

If you're running on 2GB ram total, then this is the reason why your O.C. didn't yield much of a difference. Then again, without empirical evidence its a bit difficult to tell whether you did in fact get an FPS increase or not (even minor differences can potentially result in slightly higher minimums and averages, and lead to smoother gameplay.)

FYI, certain older versions of Windows would never install with more than 2GB RAM in your system. That BSOD is not a mystery, simply an annoying fact of how it works. However, I would say that you may have a problem with your RAM, you should run memtest86+ to find out.

Manick2005 said:
No, I'm still watching the thread. I just am a little overwhelmed by the amount of information I'm being given on the issue. Not really sure what I should do. If you couldn't already tell I'm still not that experienced with tweaking with computers yet. If it is my processor, I'd like to OC it, but I never could figure out how to do it with my motherboard. If its my graphics card though, I suppose the best thing to try would be to hook it up to another machine and see how it works like someone suggested earlier.

Plain and simple your issue is that at stock your CPU simply cannot process BF3 fast enough to allow your 5870 to realize its potential. Is there a bottleneck? absolutely. Can it be fixed without upgrading? absolutely. You must O.C. your CPU to 3.0Ghz at a minimum, but I would recommend 3.2 or 3.4Ghz if possible (this will require more than the stock cooler). Once you do this, your GPU will be able to do some real work and your FPS will be normal/as expected. Upgrading the graphics drivers at this point in time will not do much as I believe 11.09 already had all 5xxx series tweaks for BF3 included.

Good Luck.

After loading a map alt tab and check the task manager for memory utilization
If you're close to full, upgrade your ram or try disabling useless windows services and
background processes.

I play on DualCore E6750 OC 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD, ATI 5870

With everything on High and 1920x1200 my computer is able to produce around 30 FPS for sure. It is playable.

As you can see your CPU is much better and should work fine with BF3.

I play on all LOW settings though and get absolutely smooth gameplay. I also do these steps before starting the game:

1. Overclock E6750 to 3.2 GHz (make sure you have good airflow to processor)
2. Kill all not needed processes in Windows
3. Disable Aero Desktop in Windows 7
4. Kill explorer process
5. Close server browser while playng BF3
6. Set BF3 process priority to "Above Normal" (this alone added about 10 FPS)

another thing could be your HD, I use SSD and game loads all needed textures and objects very fast. It might be you are loosing framerates when game is loading additional information from the disk.

With all these tweaks above I see no reason to upgrade to i5 processor though I have been considering it before. This game looks excellent and plays smooth even on low settings with high 1920x1200 resolution and 16xAA.

I play on DualCore E6750 OC 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD, ATI 5870

With everything on High and 1920x1200 my computer is able to produce around 30 FPS for sure. It is playable.

As you can see your CPU is much better and should work fine with BF3.

I play on all LOW settings though and get absolutely smooth gameplay. I also do these steps before starting the game:

1. Overclock E6750 to 3.2 GHz (make sure you have good airflow to processor)
2. Kill all not needed processes in Windows
3. Disable Aero Desktop in Windows 7
4. Kill explorer process
5. Close server browser while playng BF3
6. Set BF3 process priority to "Above Normal" (this alone added about 10 FPS)

another thing could be your HD, I use SSD and game loads all needed textures and objects very fast. It might be you are loosing framerates when game is loading additional information from the disk.

With all these tweaks above I see no reason to upgrade to i5 processor though I have been considering it before. This game looks excellent and plays smooth even on low settings with high 1920x1200 resolution and 16xAA.

I call bull...Everything on high and at 1900x1200 you must be playing everything downhill to get 30 fps with that cpu! :D

OP overclock your cpu already. Literally all you have to do is increase your fsb to get to 2.6 - 2.8 you shouldn't even need to touch voltages or get a better cooler.

If your fps goes up you have a cpu bottleneck. Then this whole stupid thread can be done with lol.

OP overclock your cpu already. Literally all you have to do is increase your fsb to get to 2.6 - 2.8 you shouldn't even need to touch voltages or get a better cooler.

If your fps goes up you have a cpu bottleneck. Then this whole stupid thread can be done with lol.
please use some common sense though. of course his cpu is a bottleneck but there is no way a stock Q6600 will cause this game to run at less than 15fps.

I call bull...Everything on high and at 1900x1200 you must be playing everything downhill to get 30 fps with that cpu! :D

Unfortunately I cannot prove it. But BF3 automatically sets everything to High when I use Video "Auto" settings and it plays fine. Though , still I want smoother gameplay. Thats why I put everything on Low.

At 1920x1080, you are far more GPU bound that CPU bound. At this res, even a 2500K at 4.5GHz couldn't save a GTX460 768MB SLi setup with BF3 with High settings with no AA. The exact same CPU with a 6870, and running all High settings with 2X MSAA is no sweat.

please use some common sense though. of course his cpu is a bottleneck but there is no way a stock Q6600 will cause this game to run at less than 15fps.

I am using common sense. There are 3 pages of debate here on the cpu bottle neck causing the issue. Take the 5 minutes it takes to shut down, maybe let windows install some updates, load into bios, increase the fsb, boot into windows and load up bf3.

If it doesn't help fps then debate over thread can get on topic of finding solution instead of arguing.

If it does help then end thread.

Every one has their own common sense I guess. If it sounds like a good idea to continue the debate and run in circles because the OP can't take 5 minutes out of their day then to each their own.

I am using common sense. There are 3 pages of debate here on the cpu bottle neck causing the issue. Take the 5 minutes it takes to shut down, maybe let windows install some updates, load into bios, increase the fsb, boot into windows and load up bf3.

If it doesn't help fps then debate over thread can get on topic of finding solution instead of arguing.

If it does help then end thread.

Every one has their own common sense I guess. If it sounds like a good idea to continue the debate and run in circles because the OP can't take 5 minutes out of their day then to each their own.
but here is where your common sense is lacking. :p

even if he overclocks his cpu do you magically think he will triple his framerate? of course not because there is also something else wrong for him to be getting 15fps or less for an average with a Q6600. so again we already know his cpu is a bottleneck but is not the reason he is getting such abysmal performance.

I just took a look in my BIOS and didn't see any clear way to increase my FSB.

I went to Advanced Chipset Features, then FSB Memory & Configuration, and this is what the menu had:

CPU Freq. MHz - 2400.00 (unchangeable)
CPU Multiplier - 9x (unchangeable)
FSB Memory & ClockMode - Auto (linked and unlinked were the other two options)
FSB Memory Ratio - Auto (unchangeable)
FSB (QDR) MHz - 1066 (changeable value when clockmode is set to linked)
Actual FSB (QDR) MHz - 1066 (unchangeable)
MEM (DDR) MHz - 800 (changeable value when clockmode is set to linked)
Actual MEM (DDR) MHz - 800 (unchangeable)
Memory Timing Setting

I couldn't change much. Would anyone happen to know why? Even then I'm still a little confused which one of these I need to change to increase my MHz from 2.4 to 3.0 or higher.

OPs mobo is gimped. i still say i like the set drivers to default option. report back.

impossible something is wrong.

im getting consistently close to 60fps with my setup, annd you're not that far behind me

Its the PSU. i had voltage problems wiht the gamexstream psu's untill OCZ upgraded me to elitexstream. Try replacing it with something better

Its not your CPU bud. I have a q6600 and I was able to play fine at 2.4ghz. I ocd because like you, I also have a huge bottleneck. What can anyone make of this? 3ghz and I can't even power my gtx460. 50% load. I'm at a loss for what's going on with my shit.
654.jpg

This is 64 players on strike at karkand. Even on low settings my min is about 30 fps. If i were you man I'd overclock that CPU. 4 gb or ram works just fine. Try and get that CPU to 3.4ghZ. My limit is 3ghz :(

There has to be something very wrong going on, my 5850 is almost at stock speeds, and at 1920x1200 I never hit FPS as low as the OP, or rushaoz. I run everything but textures at ultra, no motion blur, no SSAO or HBAO, and post AA only.
I don't play on 64 player servers so I don't have a direct comparison, but I am 100% GPU bound even if I go to 1680x1050 and all settings on low. I have joined 64 player servers to test that and it is still the case.

There may be something else holding your performance back, but a fully functional 5870 is not the problem.

Its not your CPU bud. I have a q6600 and I was able to play fine at 2.4ghz. I ocd because like you, I also have a huge bottleneck. What can anyone make of this? 3ghz and I can't even power my gtx460. 50% load. I'm at a loss for what's going on with my shit.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/rushaoz/654.jpg[IMG]
This is 64 players on strike at karkand. Even on low settings my min is about 30 fps. If i were you man I'd overclock that CPU. 4 gb or ram works just fine. Try and get that CPU to 3.4ghZ. My limit is 3ghz :([/QUOTE]

From the way it looks. it's your cpu.

I dunno. I'm almost done struggling with this thing. Gonna try and get a q9550 and a p35 or p45 embodiment offf someone here lol

What do you figure is the minimum cpu needed to not be the bottleneck in multilayer with a gtx580?

That's kind ofbthe wrong aim your going for. The better question is what CPU can power the card enough past a 60 fps minimum. Because it reality you'll always have a bottleneck.

my q6600 is at 3.2 for 24/7 tasks, and with a 2gb 5870 in bf3 i've never encountered any slow downs with settings on auto.

Have you tried doing a windows re-install just to test it out?

my q6600 is at 3.2 for 24/7 tasks, and with a 2gb 5870 in bf3 i've never encountered any slow downs with settings on auto.

Have you tried doing a windows re-install just to test it out?

Yep just did this the other day. :-(

With my current setup:
i3-2100 (3.1ghz)
8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4GB)
SATAIII 7200rpm Seagate HDD
XFX HD5750 (ZNFC) Slight OC from 700/1100 to 750/1175
19" LCD (1280x1024)

Im running all graphics on High i was getting 26-30fps, on Medium 50-60fps, i changed to Custom and lowered a few details like water, ground and shadows to Medium keeping the rest on high, I pushed the FPS to 33. Again this was a very short and quick test via Fraps. Ill do some more testing later this evening to see the CPU/GPU total usage, etc.

Cant complain at 30fps, still a helluva lot better then when i play it on my Xbox (yes i have managed to get this on both PC and Console..) Gameplay does still seem smooth and really with my 19" monitor the Ultra settings are probabbly too much. No where getting 15FPS and i thing my older/lower end card compared to yours (OP) you should be fine at High Settings.

With my current setup:
i3-2100 (3.1ghz)
8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4GB)
SATAIII 7200rpm Seagate HDD
XFX HD5750 (ZNFC) Slight OC from 700/1100 to 750/1175
19" LCD (1280x1024)

Im running all graphics on High i was getting 26-30fps, on Medium 50-60fps, i changed to Custom and lowered a few details like water, ground and shadows to Medium keeping the rest on high, I pushed the FPS to 33. Again this was a very short and quick test via Fraps. Ill do some more testing later this evening to see the CPU/GPU total usage, etc.

Cant complain at 30fps, still a helluva lot better then when i play it on my Xbox (yes i have managed to get this on both PC and Console..) Gameplay does still seem smooth and really with my 19" monitor the Ultra settings are probabbly too much. No where getting 15FPS and i thing my older/lower end card compared to yours (OP) you should be fine at High Settings.

30 fps is okay but only when locked at 30. Fluctuating fps are annoying on a mouse and keyboard. I think 45-50 is what I would want minimum to be.

I've got a 5850 overclocked to around 5870 levels. I'm getting 60 FPS average with everything on high and 4x AA/16x AF @ 1920x1080. This is with an i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz. That CPU is choking you. Also, 4GB of ram is bare minimum, thats certainly not accounting for your low framerate, but with RAM so cheap theres no reason not to get 8GB+

How do we have such a similar setup but I can't even touch 4xMSAA without my FPS choking? My 5850 is even at 5870 clocks.

There is no way he is getting 60fps average with 4xAA enabled. My 5850 is at 1GHz and I can't do that.

There is no way he is getting 60fps average with 4xAA enabled. My 5850 is at 1GHz and I can't do that.

Yeah. I can only get 60 FPS with Ultra textures and everything else on medium. Apparently he has a very different idea of what the number 60 is?

Back