ATI CrossFireX Application Profile 10.8a Performance @ [H]

Because Amd/ati might see this: 10.8A driver and cap is a nice improvement in my rig 3x 5770 cfx eyefinity w/asus vw266h x3 I am finally running crysis at 5040x1050 all settings very high. In 32 bit crysis avg framerate is around 20-30 used to be 11-15 but in 64 bit it is still 11-12.

Game play has smoothed greatly. The drivers are finally starting to use my pII965 (50%) with 10.7and earlier it was only 34%usage. and more of the full potential of the cards. It does seem like maybe they could still improve the drivers sometimes play is smooth and fast at 30 fps and somtimes the same place in the map can studder a bit. Keep up the good work in helping the cfx 3 and 4 crowd out.

i7 @ 4.0
2 5870's in crossfire
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit SP1
2560x1440

Gaming mainly in BFBC2 and this is where the FPS came from. Clean installed 10.8 with the BFBC2 profiles. Lows 30 highs about 100, average 50. Reinstalled 10.5. Lows 60 highs 200, average 100.

10.5 is still a better driver.

ATI prove me wrong on my theory. 6xxx series will be out in a couple of months. At this rate of crippling performance over many months in a row, making the 5xxx series slower, you will be able to claim that the 6xxx series are 200% faster than previous generations...

And Catalyst Maker. Lame excuse as to why this has not been address. It has been posted here, AMD forums, rage3d, guru3d FOR MONTHS. Turning a blind eye to problems caues you in the end. Hire a community manager who is reponsible for being very active in all these forums. Have them play all the popular games on various rigs FULL TIME. They would be able to assist a lot more in fixing issues than ignoring them as long as this has been ignored.

BTW fix the x2 problems for all those people that drop a grip of cash on your high end card.

Two 5770's in crossfire. BC2 Performance is better with 10-7/10.8 but I still have to use 10.5 because of CTD.

I know everything else is solid because it only happens in BC2.

I'm waiting and hoping the next driver might fix all this.

Mafia 2 REALLY needs a look.

Alt+Tabbing comes out to an almost blacked out screen, and when you close the game, the 'tint' stays. It also has some serious performance issues that don't really show right away. But performance degrades the longer you play for sure. Vsync didn't seem to be working for me either. No AA, and almost every cut scene was tearing like crazy. And I would also have some huge dips randomly while night driving.

Using 4850x2 with new drivers and the first 10.8 profiles.

I've registered so I can post my opinion about the 10.8's and the 10.8a CAP.

So hopefully the Catalyst crew are listening?

At the moment 10.5 + 10.5 profiles are still the best drivers for Battlefield BC2 due to a few issues with any driver above 10.5. I am currenlty running an HD 5970 + 5870 in tr-fire.

1. Performance in the 10.8 is a great improvement over 10.5, higher minimimum and maximum framerates but,

2. Slow loading is back with these.

3. Laggy spawn screen in hardcore servers. (framerate is 5-7 fps whereas the 10.5's are in the 70-80 range) which makes it difficult to select kit and squad)

4. CTD is very frequent with the 10.8's (never happens with 10.5) especially at the end of a round.

Please can the CAT crew deliver a driver that has the performance of the 10.8's but the stability of the 10.5's?.

i7 @ 4.0
2 5870's in crossfire
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit SP1
2560x1440

Gaming mainly in BFBC2 and this is where the FPS came from. Clean installed 10.8 with the BFBC2 profiles. Lows 30 highs about 100, average 50. Reinstalled 10.5. Lows 60 highs 200, average 100.

10.5 is still a better driver.

This is the same problem I have, except I'm running 2x5850 as opposed to your 2x5870's.

Crossfire performance in BC2 with every driver and CAP since 10.5a is approximately 50% less. If I use a single card (CAT AI=off) I get better performance than with Crossfire enabled.

10.5a is the ONLY driver which gives me playable frame rates in Crossfire with my minimums around 50-60 FPS. Any other driver and the game is unplayable in Crossfire with minimums at 20-30.

I do honestly think it's not a CAP issue as I have now installed CAP 10.8a with Driver 10.5a and everything is still running great.

Something fundamental changed at the driver level after 10.5a which broke my Crossfire performance in BC. I think ATI could release CAPS until the cows come home and it won't fix this issue. They need to look hard at the driver and see what they changed after 10.5a that could be causing this.

These scaling issues have been stopping me from getting a second 5870 but I think it's too little too late. At this point I'm either going to wait for the next generation of cards or possibly replace my 5870 with 3 460s. It is however nice to see them making strides to improve their drivers but as a life long Nvidia user CCC leaves a bit to be desired.

The scaling with two GPUs is fine. You can use a second 5870 and get great performance out of it. Unfortunately, the scaling goes down the drain once you get to three and four GPUs.

Mafia 2 REALLY needs a look.

Alt+Tabbing comes out to an almost blacked out screen, and when you close the game, the 'tint' stays. It also has some serious performance issues that don't really show right away. But performance degrades the longer you play for sure. Vsync didn't seem to be working for me either. No AA, and almost every cut scene was tearing like crazy. And I would also have some huge dips randomly while night driving.

Using 4850x2 with new drivers and the first 10.8 profiles.

I had the tint remain after shutting the game down as well, but it has only happened once. I'm not experiencing any of these other issues you are other than the tearing in the cut scenes. I resolved this by turning Vsync on.

As for the degrading performance you're getting and dips in the night scenes, maybe your CPU is holding you back? I've never experienced this through 6 chapters.

I'm still on 10.7a due to only having the one 5850 and playing SC2 heavily. I also have a Q9550 clocked to 3.4GHz.

I had the tint remain after shutting the game down as well, but it has only happened once. I'm not experiencing any of these other issues you are other than the tearing in the cut scenes. I resolved this by turning Vsync on.

As for the degrading performance you're getting and dips in the night scenes, maybe your CPU is holding you back? I've never experienced this through 6 chapters.

I'm still on 10.7a due to only having the one 5850 and playing SC2 heavily. I also have a Q9550 clocked to 3.4GHz.

We probably have a nearly identical setup then aside from the Graphics. But since you don't have crossfire, perhaps that's the problem. I'll have to test it later.

I think the tint is primarily caused by alt-Tabbing out of game. If I don't do that, I don't have any problems. But on the same note, I noticed that after I turned the gamma up a bit in game, the tint that remained afterwards was DARKer. So it may have something to do with that.

IMO, performance actually seems to have degraded a bit with 10.8 over 10.7. So I'd stick with 10.7 till the driver team gets this sorted.

On an almost related note, I played Mafia 2 on a friends SLI 470 machine, and HOLY CRAP, I wish someone would finish a PhysX port to ATI.

So all of us 4870x2 users are told to basically go F ourselves? and for the third straight month in a row?

10.6 Nothing
10.7 Nothing
10.8 Nothing????

If they want to permanently make us all Nvidia customers then keep this up....How can they screw up so spectacularly with the 2nd GPU? Since it worked fine till 10.5a I am left with the conclusion that they did this on purpose to force people to upgrade.

Either way its a screw up of major proportions and one I have not heard of before even in the long history of buggy video card drivers...This one tops them all.

So all of us 4870x2 users are told to basically go F ourselves? and for the third straight month in a row?

10.6 Nothing
10.7 Nothing
10.8 Nothing????

If they want to permanently make us all Nvidia customers then keep this up....How can they screw up so spectacularly with the 2nd GPU? Since it worked fine till 10.5a I am left with the conclusion that they did this on purpose to force people to upgrade.

Either way its a screw up of major proportions and one I have not heard of before even in the long history of buggy video card drivers...This one tops them all.

So just keep using 10.5a and install the 10.8a profile update on top of that. The whole point of the CAP is so that crossfire updates are no longer tied to driver updates. There isn't anything magical about new drivers that requires you to update them every month. Almost the entire benefit of new drivers can be had simply by installing the CAP.

When you consider how infrequently other drivers for sound cards, etc come out, it's pretty silly to be complain about having to use an "old" driver that is only a few months old. NVidia sometimes doesn't even release drivers for several months.

IMO just install each CAP as it's released and only update the driver if you have a specific reason to. That might sound a bit lame especially if you've gotten used to doing regular monthly driver updates but other than satisfying your OCD there is really no reason to update each month especially in the context of the CAP being separate.

10.6 Nothing
10.7 Nothing
10.8 Nothing????

Getting screwed on the 4870 X2 is par for the course. The drivers were in such a sad state for months on those that I ended up selling mine and going with three GeForce GTX 280's at the time. My issues were with the Skulltrail and the 4870 X2 and even a single card didn't work right with it. I basically only got to use 1 GPU out of 2 or 4 with the 4870 X2. Complaints about that fell on deaf ears and while the 4870 X2 works in most people's systems, there are still numerous driver issues with them. I was actually afraid to buy the Radeon HD 5970 for fear of repeats of the 7950GX2's, 9800GX2's, or 4870 X2's headaches being transferred to them. It seems these super high end dual GPU cards just end up being the red headed step children of each company. These cards seem to be long since forgotten by the time the next generation of cards comes out. Hell they don't even pay enough attention to them while they are new opting to fix issues on more common cards first. Fortunately ATI did a good job with the 5970 with regard to single card usage. They've still screwed the pooch on CrossfireX scaling. Again this is why I don't own two of these cards.

Dont fool yourselves. Nvidia drivers have issues too. I left nvidia 9800gt's because of it and now have ati 5770s now i have performance issues in 3cfx eyfinity until 10.8 driver. I hope amd continues to work out the 3 and 4 card bugs. And if it werent for amd I doubt nvidia would have supported multi screen gaming yet either. not to mention nvidia cards use more power make more noise and more heat. None of wich I want.

Lets not forget the ati tech is almost a year older than this nvidia 460 card. lets see what the 6000 series can do.(assuming amd continues fixing cfx issues in drivers.)

Just played some BC2 with CF/EF on a couple of 5870's with 10.8. Performance was about 10.4a level, I'd say, which was nice. Naturally, I had a CTD -- just like in 10.4a. Hooray!

Hi guys,

Sorry more silly questions, its been mentioned that using older drivers with a newer cap is actually better. I'm running the 2x5770 setup on my i5-750 rig I've got 10.5a with 10.5a cap, can someone explain to me why 10.8a cap ontop of the 10.5a drivers might be good, and especially if my main games are SC2 adn BFBC2 this could be a goer??

cheers

drady

Its only good if the older drivers are better than the newer ones. For many people the 10.4a drivers were where its at. So the 10.4a drivers with the 10.8 CAP are their best bet.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
9138, 92082, 64, 137, 99.238

This is my BC2 with 1920x1200 4xAA and 16X AF and HBAO on. That is 10.8 and 10.8a installed.

8892, 60192, 75, 201, 147.727

This is AAA and 16x AF with HBAO off.

7310, 118380, 48, 82, 61.750

This is Crysis with 4X AA and 16X AF 1920x1200.

With the 10.7's, I was only getting 30fps average during Crysis game play. The canned benchmark, I would get 65fps.

9102, 128338, 49, 86, 70.922

This is Crysis with no AA and 16XAF.

All these are 5870's on stock clocks.

I was just about to sell off my 5850 CX and buy 460GTX Sli until these drivers /profiles showed up for BC 2 as i run Eyefinity and frankly adding the second 5850 has not lived up to the cost ($314)

So ..Mr Cat Maker needs to get to work if you plan to keep all of your new found customers and plan on adding more as this simple fix is what you have robbed us from the whole time.

I was just about to sell off my 5850 CX and buy 460GTX Sli until these drivers /profiles showed up for BC 2 as i run Eyefinity and frankly adding the second 5850 has not lived up to the cost ($314)

So ..Mr Cat Maker needs to get to work if you plan to keep all of your new found customers and plan on adding more as this simple fix is what you have robbed us from the whole time.

Nvm -_-

explain what?:) just remove 10.8 drivers if u have, and install the 10.5ahotfix drivers and the rest of the CAP files

that's just it, how exactly is the latter half of that done: what are cap files?

edit, referring to post #33 by cadaveca:
" Thanks Kyle. It's quite easy. V-sync is broken. AA is broken. Load up the first map."

So, it appears the fix amounts to "cheating" the frame rate, with motion blur issues and missing AA....yeah that's exactly what I think let's hope they all prove that wrong...
( with the cards having been out this long, in a sense that's a relief to a degree, as in cheating the fps rate should be the only thing really left for optimization - especially with the increase shown - *is there a rebate for the months of reduced performance suffered ?*)
I quite understand things are rather more complicated than that simple interpretation, and would presume missing AA would be noted by the review, but then again the massive pressure is on hard, and the attempt and coordination and effort already invested may mean an easygoing attitude is required by the initial quick review for now, as a larger future review has been revealed to be coming.
No need to pick and pick right now when something good has just started.

Anyway, your offer to assist is impressive { Cadaveca to Kyle " If need be, I can even send you one of the rigs."}, and although it seemed your post was ignored by most all standard repliers to me, I certainly noticed it and the big pic next page. Not easy being the "party pooper" perhaps....

Last edited:
I agree and welcome hotfixes, but it seems lately issues that have been brought up with crossfire (and quadfire for a long time), vsync etc haven't been addressed in a timely manner. We still talk about 10.4a or 10.5 being a great driver at best, and yet here we are heading into September. At least Nvidia fixes a few things with their drivers and makes improvements (minus the fan speed issue), but whatever they borked with the WHQL drivers they do quickly respond. It's where AMD may fix one or two items then drop the ball on others that may have been working before and don't bother to fix it for months on end.

That's where my frustrations lead. New drivers shouldn't head in the opposite direction of progress.

On top of that, its kind of embarrasing to be forced to look for an outside source from Finland to get some good drivers.

The other thing that really burns is this: Nvidia driver upgrades are recommended to be installed right over the top of the former drivers now, has been that way for quite some time.
Also, going back to nvidia 6 series, you just shutdown, pull your card, and put in your other one, and boot up, reboot once - sometimes no reboot needed. That's it. Same system, same install, no safe mode, no uninstalling drivers, you're gaming in 5 minutes, smooth as silk.

AMD radeon ATI however, their website instructions demand you uninstall all former drivers first... it's a long and tedious process... change forward and change back...

I am always screamed at about the drivers being the same, but they are not. Even the two companies instructions clearly show a large and tremendous difference with installing / upgrading instructions.

So long as ATI xxx Radeon is given a break over and over nothing will change - as Kyle has just absolutely proven, a little truth and a some review pain goes a long way. Long overdue.

I'd love to see a driver install review, with time measurements and convenience perceptions, so all can see how Nvidia cards can just be replaced, one after the other, and drivers just slammed right in "over the top" ( they create another directory in C:\nvida\driver number) and booted right into gaming ready mode, vs the ATI method which very rarely can achieve just by luck such convenience.
I'm at a loss wondering how reviewers aren't seemingly aware of this, except by the fact that they are likely slamming an iso drive image in for each card a "fresh" install...so don't really dwell on it.

Last edited:
The other thing that really burns is this: Nvidia driver upgrades are recommended to be installed right over the top of the former drivers now, has been that way for quite some time.
Also, going back to nvidia 6 series, you just shutdown, pull your card, and put in your other one, and boot up, reboot once - sometimes no reboot needed. That's it. Same system, same install, no safe mode, no uninstalling drivers, you're gaming in 5 minutes, smooth as silk.

AMD radeon ATI however, their website instructions demand you uninstall all former drivers first... it's a long and tedious process... change forward and change back...

I am always screamed at about the drivers being the same, but they are not. Even the two companies instructions clearly show a large and tremendous difference with installing / upgrading instructions.

So long as ATI xxx Radeon is given a break over and over nothing will change - as Kyle has just absolutely proven, a little truth and a some review pain goes a long way. Long overdue.

I'd love to see a driver install review, with time measurements and convenience perceptions, so all can see how Nvidia cards can just be replaced, one after the other, and drivers just slammed right in "over the top" ( they create another directory in C:\nvida\driver number) and booted right into gaming ready mode, vs the ATI method which very rarely can achieve just by luck such convenience.
I'm at a loss wondering how reviewers aren't seemingly aware of this, except by the fact that they are likely slamming an iso drive image in for each card a "fresh" install...so don't really dwell on it.

lol... ?:D

I just installed my ATi drivers after swapping out my GTX260 for a HD5770... heck, even the stock MS drivers worked fine (that didn't stop me from getting 10.3... iirc that was the newest driver set when I got my HD5770).

I didn't know I had to play twister to get my ATi card in - I just plugged the damn thing in and booted.

WTF are you talking about? Maybe the page you were looking at was really old, because for at least a few years now the recommended procedure (according to ATI) for installing new drivers is also to simply install over the top. That is generally how I update my video drivers and have never had any issues from not uninstalling first.

Yeah, safe to say it is PR bullshit.

WTF are you talking about? Maybe the page you were looking at was really old, because for at least a few years now the recommended procedure (according to ATI) for installing new drivers is also to simply install over the top. That is generally how I update my video drivers and have never had any issues from not uninstalling first.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Please note the date and the website is linked directly from the latest catalyst release.
---examples--- problems
g. Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers

upgrade old card ---
g. Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers

upgrade driver
d. Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers

---
So in every case except a new install you must remove all older drivers according to ATI/amd.
The exact opposite is true at Nvidia's site. Do I need to link you to that as well as you scream at me ?

Catalyst driver page - click Release Notes at the top - http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon-win7-64.aspx

On page 8, the last page, is the how to install ati drivers link > http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

" Installation information can be found at: How to Install Your ATI Product."

Article GPU-57 is cited for how to uninstall old ati drivers

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

" This article provides instructions on how to uninstall pre-existing ATI graphics card drivers in a Microsoft Windows based system.

Note! The following instructions only apply if the system has pre-existing graphics drivers and you are attempting to:

* Resolve display issues, performance issues or error messages that occur after graphics card installation
* Upgrade an old graphics card to a new model in an existing system
* Upgrade an old driver to the latest version from AMD.COM"

Thanks.

Last edited:
lol... ?:D

I just installed my ATi drivers after swapping out my GTX260 for a HD5770... heck, even the stock MS drivers worked fine (that didn't stop me from getting 10.3... iirc that was the newest driver set when I got my HD5770).

I didn't know I had to play twister to get my ATi card in - I just plugged the damn thing in and booted.

Of course that's all you ever need to do. Stick with 10.3 too since we know what's broken later, at least for ATI.

If you're using an Nvidia card though, just slam in the latest release, even if you have a 6 series, a 7 series, 8 series, 9 series, gtx200, gtx400, just grab the 258.xx it works for all of them, and then plug and pull and play in between all those series-

No need to limit your driver release version, grab dotnet 2.0, uninstall various C++ packs or reinstall them, clean out drivers, boot in safe mode, nor run the ati(cuss) junk cleaner from one of the long time regulars here I read about tonight in the 10.8a release thread in safe mode then also in windows after reboot - after uninstalling ati drivers, and before installing the new ones.

You may be wise to stick with 10.3 but that says a lot anyway about what my point was and is. You're stuck there for better, upgrade for worse. (or did that suddenly magically change now too ? ) :D

Furthermore, I see 4 days ago you disabled Flash on your ATI card... yet "just now" you took out "your GTX260" and put in a 5770....lol

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036103136&postcount=26

08-26-2010

Originally Posted by Chameleoki
I swear someone had that issue and thought it was the 10.7 drivers but they fixed it with a setting in the Flash options. I would search for the 10.7 released thread and read through. I'm pretty sure it was in there.

jeremyshaw "yeah, just disabled HW acceleration in Flash. I have an i7... why the hell SHOULD I need GPU acceleration.

Well, that and it's messed up "

Forgive me if I fail to remain entirely convinced on your word...

Last edited:
nvidia: "multi gpu the way its meant to be played?"
:p

i sold my second 5870 (same reason the previous owner sold it to me, if i had known of the issues i would not have bought the second one). checked after playing through the entire bioshock 2, and gpu 1 was 99% loaded and the second one only got up to 44%. i don't know if this cap file would have helped but i was done. if amd fixes it in the future i'll buy a second 5870 later on, or just get a faster 6xxx card down the line.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Please note the date and the website is linked directly from the latest catalyst release.
---examples--- problems

upgrade old card ---

upgrade driver
d. Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers

---
So in every case except a new install you must remove all older drivers according to ATI/amd.
The exact opposite is true at Nvidia's site. Do I need to link you to that as well as you scream at me ?

Catalyst driver page - click Release Notes at the top - http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon-win7-64.aspx

On page 8, the last page, is the how to install ati drivers link > http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

" Installation information can be found at: How to Install Your ATI Product."

Article GPU-57 is cited for how to uninstall old ati drivers

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

" This article provides instructions on how to uninstall pre-existing ATI graphics card drivers in a Microsoft Windows based system.

Note! The following instructions only apply if the system has pre-existing graphics drivers and you are attempting to:

* Resolve display issues, performance issues or error messages that occur after graphics card installation
* Upgrade an old graphics card to a new model in an existing system
* Upgrade an old driver to the latest version from AMD.COM"

Thanks.

You can see where Terry Makedon, (Catalyst Product manager for the last 10 years) was asked this question directly, and his response was that he never uninstalls the drivers first.

http://twitter.com/nVd90/status/1220968118
http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker/status/1221771554

If uninstalling first makes you feel better then fine but your original rant about having to jump through hoops to change drivers falls flat. You simply don't have to do anything but install on top.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

Driver files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers or when removing an older NVIDIA card and replacing it with a newer card

Guess what, Nvidia says the same thing. Going to take that page as gospel also? :rolleyes:

You can see where Terry Makedon, (Catalyst Product manager for the last 10 years) was asked this question directly, and his response was that he never uninstalls the drivers first.

http://twitter.com/nVd90/status/1220968118
http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker/status/1221771554

If uninstalling first makes you feel better then fine but your original rant about having to jump through hoops to change drivers falls flat. You simply don't have to do anything but install on top.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

Guess what, Nvidia says the same thing. Going to take that page as gospel also? :rolleyes:

I guess Terry doesn't follow the company's recommendation, but then that just shows how things go there. What is surprising about that ? (I didn't look at your Terry links yet, but I'll take your word for it. I expect nothing less considering the condition of the drivers.)

Now, Nvidia does NOT say the same thing. You apparently have some crazy stray link, and my webbrowser warned the link you posted does not properly identify itself.

Allow me to help you....the very thing I got screamed at about falsely, is apparently what you actually did - provide an outdated link that is not current. Congratulations for doing exactly what I didn't do, after screaming at me with your caps cussing it's what I did, when you actually did it !

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036124190&postcount=200

Now if that doesn't take the crapcake prize, I don't know what does.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html

Help Installing Drivers:

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?
A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to overinstall the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

So sorry it comes down to this, but I have been plenty kind and plenty correct, I have been cussed at, called names, and now I see after someone called a mod into the thread, another has claimed I'm a troll.

I guess if telling the truth here is trolling, then so be it. I am a troll who told the truth, and provided the links directly form the absolutely current 258.xx Nvida website... as well as the former posts that shows the exact instructions you will recevie from the current Catalyst download at AMD.

Now all might scream I'm a troll, but the facts remains those are the two companies Instructions!

If Terry thinks uninstalling is "wrong" {although neither of your liinks shows the question asked..LOL ) he had better let his masters at AMD know they are informing everyone that looks to do so. ( of course you cannot uninstall when nothing is there on a "clean" setup )

What I find amazing is I state a simple set of facts, I am correct, I prove it, I get attacked, and called a troll.

Thanks for the open minds and honesty. Great, just great.

I am sorry I broke the unspoken rule and told the truth (about ATI).

Thanks, now that I know their website is wrong, I'll ignore it... LOL :eek:

Anyone else want to scream liar or post false old links to unverified websites ?

Bottom line : What I said is true, period. Nvidia the company does not recommend uninstall first in any common case and ATI does in every one, that is absolutely current period, no matter how much your bleeding heart screams it cannot be true.

You of course can all do whatever you want and follow no ones instructions whatsoever, and I'm sure more of you will scream you do so absolutely perfectly. (ati owners will no doubt - since only theirs are recommended for cleaning old drivers first)

That's got nothing to do with "my trolling" anything. What you attackers should have realized it has to do with is you being such tremendous computer users...right ? You're card kings and queens. God, you're awesome.

Also, it's just great, just tremendous that in fact, according to you attackers, the AMD /ATI website is wrong on how to install your ATI drivers.
I think that says a whole lot about the big driver issues...I would expect nothing less than their website to be absolutely incorrect on driver install instructions. Right guys ? Thanks for all that help.
Isn't that par for the ATI course...

Last edited:
Gosh, Doc, you use a lot of words to say the same thing over and over again ;)

Regardless, Terry has been quiet on both Twitter and in the thread for some time now, so I'm assuming that means he's working hard at fixing our problems :)

Since when was uninstalling drivers wrong? Who said that? The convention on this forum has been that you need to uninstall the drivers, use driver sweeper / driver cleaner etc. to make sure the drivers are completely gone and then you can install your new drivers. I've even see people go so far as to recommend formatting your computer and reinstalling the OS just for a video card upgrade. (This is a recommendation I always argue against because its stupid.)

In my experience, you can usually install drivers over the top of the earlier ones. Most of the time that will work fine. However if you experience issues with some games or odd errors then you may be going back to clear all the drivers out and install them again. I say why bother? Just nuke the damned drivers with the uninstaller at a minimum and then reinstall. This method has been working for me for years. I haven't needed driver sweeper or anything like that. I just uninstall the old ones and install the new ones. Simple and effective. Many of the bugs and issues I see people bitching about in the video card forums do not happen with my system. So I'd say its a pretty tried and true method. Do whatever works for you, but don't bitch if you failed to follow the advice of the vendor (in this case ATI/AMD) and did your own thing.

Back