Ati catalyst 8.12 beta

eric66

Gawd
ATI Catalyst 8.12 beta (8.561 RC3) XP 32/64-bit ; http://www.mediafire.com/?dojmwyjn4nt
ATI Catalyst 8.12 beta (8.561 RC3) VISTA 32/64-bit ; http://www.mediafire.com/?h1ytmgy40w3

ATI Stream support:

With the release of ATI Catalyst 8.12 users can unlock the potential of accelerated applications enabling ATI Stream technology for millions of ATI Radeon™ graphics processors worldwide
ATI Stream harnesses the tremendous processing power of the graphics processing unit (GPU) for high-performance, data-intensive computations over a wide range of scientific, business and consumer applications.
ATI Stream enables the hundreds of parallel cores inside AMD graphics processors to accelerate general purpose applications. These capabilities will allow ATI Stream-enabled programs, for a variety of different tasks and from a growing number of software vendors, to operate with optimized performance or with new functionality.
The CAL (Compute Abstraction Layer) is now include in the Catalyst driver package. CAL is the enabling component for ATI Stream

ATI Stream application: ATI Avivo Video Converter

Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this video conversion tool (found in Catalyst Control Center Basic View) to achieve incredible performance levels in video transcoding.
ATI Catalyst Control Center – Noise reduction for progressive video content:

This release of Catalyst™ introduces a new advanced video quality control: Noise Reduction for progressive video content, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video. The slider control can be found in the All Settings page of the Avivo Video tab found in the Catalyst Control Center.

Performance improvements:

Catalyst 8.12 Preliminary Performance Notes

Crysis + 2-7%

Crysis Warhead + 2-3%

Devil May Cry 4 + 1-6%

Far Cry 2

+ noAA scores are fixed for Crossfire configs; this is worth +20% on slower cards, and as much as 70% on faster ones

+ 5-10% gains when AA is enabled

FEAR + 2-6%

Left 4 Dead + 2-4%

Lost Planet Colonies + 3-10%, mostly in Area 2

Prey + 2-5%

STALKER Clear Sky + 5-10%, primarily on Crossfire configurations

NOTE – if you’re benchmarking Fallout 3, please be sure to disable VSYNC, as follows:

Edit the Fallout_default.ini file in the installation directory.

Change iPresentinterval=1 to iPresentinterval=0

For more information on ATI Catalyst™ 8.12 (for Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the ATI Catalyst™ 8.12 release notes.

Nice, my idle temp drops from 74C to 66C with this driver. Performance in GRID is better, I was having a little stuttering in GRID with 8.11 and 8.10 Hotfix. AVIVO video converter doesn't work correctly on my system, it is fast but I can only get sounds, not pictures.

Can anyone confirm whether the 8.12 betas improve WoW on a 4870x2 at all?

Edit: would also like to know if both cores of the 4870x2 kick in at the right speed for a game played in windowed mode?

TIA

Another problem, after using AVIVO video convertor, the clock speed stays at 3D clock, even after loading a game and then exit won't drop the clock speed back to 2D clock. I'll think it's better to wait for the WHQL driver next week.

Edit: Just want to clear things up, only running a game without running AVIVO video convertor beforehand will drop the clock back to 2D clock.

Anyone know if they added any additional image scaling options? I'm tired of not being able to run my 3450 at 1920x1080 on my TV without horrible overscan and no way to correct it.

You could PM one of the beta testers at Rage3D to see if it's being worked on HydroBudz.

Nice, my idle temp drops from 74C to 66C with this driver. Performance in GRID is better, I was having a little stuttering in GRID with 8.11 and 8.10 Hotfix. AVIVO video converter doesn't work correctly on my system, it is fast but I can only get sounds, not pictures.

That's not something to get excited about, that is something to get worried about.

A) That is a hell of an idle temp unless your fan speed is like 25% or something

B) Is there a reason given for this in any pre-release notes?

Does this mean that streaming hd movies will improve with this drive? I use my 4870 to stream blu ray movie to my tv.

Can anyone confirm whether the 8.12 betas improve WoW on a 4870x2 at all?

I don't know what your issue was, but the last time i played WoW was with 8.6 or 8.7 drivers (CF 4870s) and it ran fine. When I attempted to play today with 8.11 I was getting this weird glitchy strobe light effect on the environment. I upgraded to the 8.12 and the problem was gone. I was having a similar issue with Left 4 Dead when playing with 8.10, but upgrading to 8.11 at that time resolved that issue.

Installing now. What I'm interested to see is how the 4870 users will react to these drivers. This driver is suppose to put the 4870 ahead of the gtx260. :eek:

it improved my experience with gta iv, thats for sure, never dips below 30fps, and no studdering when im driving around

No improved image scaling. BAH! I'm selling this p.o.s. 3450. I never had issues like this with an Nvidia card on my TV.

Some reports say power play is finally working on the 4850/4870 cards. And I've never had a problem with either an Ati card or Nvidia driver wise I mean. I guess I've just been lucky :)

does anyone know if the random BSODs problem on systems running Vista x64 with dual monitors and Aero enabled has been fixed?

I've read the beta drivers also greatly help GTA IV performance. Anyone here experience that?

I'm not ballsy enough to try out the beta drivers just yet ;)

does anyone know if the random BSODs problem on systems running Vista x64 with dual monitors and Aero enabled has been fixed?

Is there any BSOD problem? I'm using Vista x64 with dual monitors and Aero enabled but without the BSOD.

I have a 4850 with vista x64 and haven't had that at all, are u sure it isn't a northbridge chipset driver or sound driver causing the problem.

I went ahead and just installed the beta drivers and i can confirm that they help GTA IV performance, but its still not perfect. I seem to be getting the same average 30 FPS, but its a lot smoother so its more playable.

I still think i should have at least 40 FPS @ 1680x1050 with my rig.

I went ahead and just installed the beta drivers and i can confirm that they help GTA IV performance, but its still not perfect. I seem to be getting the same average 30 FPS, but its a lot smoother so its more playable.

I still think i should have at least 40 FPS @ 1680x1050 with my rig.

i posted that it helped, it does run alot smoother, albeit at 30fps, but that's fine by me. it just stuttered so bad when i was taking a turn while driving around and now its smooth, im lovin it. i can finally enjoy gta iv

Anyone else having a problem with Overdrive in CCC causing the computer to reboot when a 3D game is launched?

Hopefully these will fix my 4870X2 reverting to idle clocks & single GPU after every map load in L4D.

smooth sailing here, is it just a reboot or a blue screen and a reboot?

Instant reboot as soon as the screen goes black for a second as the game loads.

I did some experimenting and it almost seems like it's not increasing the voltage from the 1.0 to the 1.25.

Previously I had no problems using an 800MHz core, 950MHz memory overclock. But that now reboots the computer. So I tried 800 and 900, still reboots. Went to 507/500, and that worked.

So I went up to 750/900. That worked, but the textures were flickering pretty badly. I went up to 760/900, really bad flicking. Then 775/900, reboot.

I then disabled ATI CCC and re-enabled ATI Tray Tools and the 850/950 overclock I use with that program still is working fine.

So it seems the card can still reach those clock speeds. That is why I'm guessing the Overdrive isn't applying the correct voltage.

I just looked at my profile.xml file, which I didn't touch before.

I did the drivercleaner/driversweeper before installing this driver, so this is a new profile.xml file. And I just noticed it is indeed only applying 1.050 volts to core 0 and 1.250 volts to core 1. So I guess that is my problem there.

To clarify on my own dual-display crashing problem, whenever I plug in a secondary display with the HDMI adapter (I've tried with 3rd party HDMI adapters as well) the primary display will start flashing as if it's trying to switch to extended desktop mode, but it does this 3 or 4 times until finally the whole machine just hard resets. Occasionally I will get the 2nd display working in clone mode instead, but as soon as I try to switch to extended desktop the same thing happens again.

Is there any BSOD problem? I'm using Vista x64 with dual monitors and Aero enabled but without the BSOD.
The problem I have is that at random intervals, I'll get an alert saying something like "Display driver stopped working but has recovered". Sometimes the screen will black out several times in rapid succession, then BSOD.
It only happens when running the desktop with Aero enabled; strangely enough, it never happens while I'm playing any 3D games, only when I'm on the desktop.
This would happen at least once a day, but after doing some Googling, it seemed turning off Aero, or using only one monitor fixed the problem, which is what I did and it hasn't happened since. Of course, I'm stuck using Vista Basic right now.
My dual monitors are running at different resolutions, maybe that might have something to do with it, and why some people with dual monitors don't experience the same problems.

The problem I have is that at random intervals, I'll get an alert saying something like "Display driver stopped working but has recovered". Sometimes the screen will black out several times in rapid succession, then BSOD.
It only happens when running the desktop with Aero enabled; strangely enough, it never happens while I'm playing any 3D games, only when I'm on the desktop.
This would happen at least once a day, but after doing some Googling, it seemed turning off Aero, or using only one monitor fixed the problem, which is what I did and it hasn't happened since. Of course, I'm stuck using Vista Basic right now.
My dual monitors are running at different resolutions, maybe that might have something to do with it, and why some people with dual monitors don't experience the same problems.

having identical issues. With main at 1920 and secondary at 1280:eek:

hrmmm.... that is odd. It lets me install them, but then when I reboot, it says that there is no ATI device detected.

I just used driver sweeper so I guess I will try it again.

Nope.. same thing. Here is the error I am getting:

"No ATI graphics driver installed or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropoiate for your ATI hardware."

Ok... so after I used driver sweeper again and tried installing 8.12 before installing 8.11 it fails to install the driver saying it can't find the file specified. - this is if I try to install the driver manually.

If I try the custom or express install in the setup, it says it can't find the INF file.

Well.. back to the 8.11s. Maybe if the 8.12s don't work when they are officially released I will try a clean install of Windows. If that still doesn't work.. time for an RMA.

My 2nd monitor is an old 17" crt, I use 1024x768 through VGA.

Have a 4870 512mb myself and seeing similar Vista 64 bugs involving dual monitors at different resolutions. Catalyst also crashes daily when I remote desktop to the PC from my workstation.

But most importantly, as I see others discussing the auto-detection that occurs when you turn on or plug in a secondary display, is there any method at all to turn this detection process off? It's annoying to lose use of my computer for 20-30 seconds while the screen flashes and it sometimes picks the wrong resolutions anyway. I usually use a hotkey to switch between displays, so I don't need or want this functionality at all. One nice thing I've noticed on the 8.11s is that I do not crash when it does this, so I think the person experiencing weird issues unless he uses clone mode may have something more specific going on.

Thanks for any help, folks.

Have a 4870 512mb myself and seeing similar Vista 64 bugs involving dual monitors at different resolutions.

Well, at least I feel better now knowing other people are experiencing the same issues when using the same configuration. I wasn't looking forward to spending days or weeks swapping or RMA'ing components in trying to find faulty hardware. It's almost certainly a driver issue, but at least an interim solution (turn off Aero) exists. Here's hoping 8.12 finally fixes this bug.

Back