ATI Catalyst 10.8B Hotfix

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has just released a new ATI Catalyst 10.8B Hotfix. This driver update is for Windows 7 and Windows Vista in both 32bit and 64bit flavors.

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 use both Graphics Processing Units (GPU) for high performance. Ubisoft H.A.W.X 2 with forced on Anisotropic Filtering (AF) using ATI Catalyst Control Center can improve performance.

So this is just for HAWX??

All these releases are just too little too late.:mad:

No its for HAWX 2 which ironically is not TOO LATE.... Its TOO EARLY. Must be for the testing/review community. The game isnt slated out for another 2 weeks for the PC community.:(

No its for HAWX 2 which ironically is not TOO LATE.... Its TOO EARLY. Must be for the testing/review community. The game isnt slated out for another 2 weeks for the PC community.:(

The AMD page doesn't say anything about it being for HAWX 2:

"ATI Catalyst 10.8b Hotfix Features:

■ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 use both Graphics Processing Units (GPU) for high performance
■Ubisoft H.A.W.X with forced on Anisotropic Filtering (AF) using ATI Catalyst Control Center can improve performance for all graphics cards that support Microsoft DirectX® 10 (ATI Radeon HD 3xxx, ATI Radeon HD 4xxx and ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series of products)
Instructions:
Download and install the ATI Catalyst hotfix from the following location:

■ATI Catalyst 10.8b Hotfix for Windows® 7 / Windows Vista®
Refer to Article 20870 for detailed instructions on how to properly install the ATI Catalyst ™ hotfix.

Note! This hotfix is provided as is and is not supported by AMD. It has not completed full AMD testing and is only a driver update.

Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):

■Hardware
◦ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 series of products
◦ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products
◦ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series of products
◦ATI Radeon HD 4xxx series of products
◦ATI Radeon HD 3xxx series of products
■Software
◦ATI Catalyst Control Center
◦Ubisoft H.A.W.X
■Operating System
◦Windows 7 32-bit Edition
◦Windows 7 64-bit Edition
◦Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
◦Windows Vista 64-bit Edition"

^ you mean underscan settings not saving after reset? I read from others that it still is broken. :mad:

The more I read this, the more it looks like some optimiation for the 4870 X2 with some improvements for the game HAWX.

I mean, isn't this about 2 years ago stuff?:(:(

The more I read this, the more it looks like some optimiation for the 4870 X2 with some improvements for the game HAWX.

I mean, isn't this about 2 years ago stuff?:(:(

AMD broke the second GPU on the 4870 X2 with the 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. So it's a fix desperately wanted by 4870 X2 owners. Just hope it actually works.

Just tested these with SC2 and I'm definitely getting significantly better performance than 10.8a's. Looking good so far.

wait ati ,i mean amd cant deliver a driver without testing it first ?
Why all the hot fixes always after a new driver?

wait ati ,i mean amd cant deliver a driver without testing it first ?
Why all the hot fixes always after a new driver?

Maybe because they run out of time to fix stuff before they have to get it WHQL certified.

The WHQL certification doesn't just get slapped on when they submit it for certification, which means that they may have already come up with some more fixes and/or optimizations by the time the WHQL driver is released.

I'd much rather them release the "hot fix; drivers then have to wait a whole month for new fixes and/or optimizations to be available.

Nvidia does basically the same thing through all their "beta" driver releases.

10.N hotfix = 10.(N+1) beta

Usually, however, there's very little difference between the beta and the actual next release - it's just 3-4 weeks of WHQL testing with no changes.

Just tested these with SC2 and I'm definitely getting significantly better performance than 10.8a's. Looking good so far.

Hmm, going to try this at home. Hopefully the fix isn't only for 4870x2 b/c performance for the 5970 sucks in SC2.

In all seriousness, is this the fix that deals with the horrible issues with SC2 (Starcraft 2)? I have had every kind of crazy issue you can imagine with this game and my 5850.

The mouse cursor corruption issue? Have it.
The crashing and reboot durung campaign? Have it.
Ventrilo getting hosed when SC2 is running? Have it (think it's related to the vid issues).

The game is basically crap on my ATI.

Every other game I've got runs flawless. BC2, Source, Fallout3, Warbands, whatever! But SC2 is simply hell.

Does this finally fix the CrossFire issues that 10.6,10.7, and 10.8 had with BFBC2?

10.8 itself fixed the crossfire issues for me. I've never had quiiite the FPS that 10.5 gave, but 10.8b is plenty playable on my 5970@1920x1200. I have yet to get that flickering black screen like the old 10.8 gave me. B is an improvement in my book.

In all seriousness, is this the fix that deals with the horrible issues with SC2 (Starcraft 2)? I have had every kind of crazy issue you can imagine with this game and my 5850.

The mouse cursor corruption issue? Have it.
The crashing and reboot durung campaign? Have it.
Ventrilo getting hosed when SC2 is running? Have it (think it's related to the vid issues).

The game is basically crap on my ATI.

Every other game I've got runs flawless. BC2, Source, Fallout3, Warbands, whatever! But SC2 is simply hell.
I don't have any of those problems on my 5870s - what driver are you using?

And the Ventrilo issue I don't believe is your video card. My friend has that problem on his system (using a 4890), I think it was partially an issue with his onboard sound but I am not sure what we did to fix it.

Overscan settings still broken, 3D color saturation settings in crossfire is still broken. Don't bother HDTV users.

I don't enjoy having to roll back to 10.5 all the time either, the audio driver for HDMI out is busted on those, the sound channels will randoms play a game of musical chairs or all collapse into the centre and distort like crazy. Oh and Borderlands is still broken if you use Cat AI.

I'm dumping ATI as soon as NVIDIA get their high end hardware back on track, ATI's software is consistantly garbage.

Overscan settings still broken, 3D color saturation settings in crossfire is still broken. Don't bother HDTV users.

I don't enjoy having to roll back to 10.5 all the time either, the audio driver for HDMI out is busted on those, the sound channels will randoms play a game of musical chairs or all collapse into the centre and distort like crazy. Oh and Borderlands is still broken if you use Cat AI.

I'm dumping ATI as soon as NVIDIA get their high end hardware back on track, ATI's software is consistantly garbage.

IIRC, use the Realtek drivers. On the realtek site, under HD Audiop devices, there should be one labeled "ATi HD Audio device" or something similar. THAT is the one.

The audio ASIC onboard the ATi GPU uses a realtek audio controller.

I wasn't aware Nvidia's was ever off the track. My GTX 480s in SLI are purring right along.

With continuing to read these threads, I am just at a complete loss to understand those that are excited about the 6xxx series being right around the corner.

People must really have more dollars than sense these days.

Amazing, considering the economy.

Then again, buying stuff that doesn't work and that somehow encouraging you to buy even more things that don't work, etc etc, may actually explain how we got in the current mess to begin with...

Nothing to fix when you can just blow more dough!

I wasn't aware Nvidia's was ever off the track. My GTX 480s in SLI are purring right along.

With continuing to read these threads, I am just at a complete loss to understand those that are excited about the 6xxx series being right around the corner.

People must really have more dollars than sense these days.

Amazing, considering the economy.

Then again, buying stuff that doesn't work and that somehow encouraging you to buy even more things that don't work, etc etc, may actually explain how we got in the current mess to begin with...

Nothing to fix when you can just blow more dough!

lol. I'm quoting this.

Anyhow, I cannot say much, as I bought two HD5870 way back :p

lol. I'm quoting this.

Anyhow, I cannot say much, as I bought two HD5870 way back :p

I bought a 5870 way back, too...

After six months of GSODs, good riddance...

But Nvidia's cards work, and their scaling is excellent, so I don't get your point.

I haven't read of Nvidia configs where the second GPU has been disabled for the past few months' worth of drivers...

I also want the max performance. GTX 480s offer that much better than dual 5970s, which was my actual plan 'til AMD couldn't sort out their driver mess...

After being patient a half a year, I went Nvidia...

It's also the only option if you want to go 3-D... And you need maximum performance for that...

Now, if I had gone dual 5970s, then I agree, I truly would have more dollars than sense...

But this is going to give "fanboi" a whole new definition of meaning if people are excited about new AMD tech when they can't get drivers working on current and last-gen tech...

If driver problems stay status quo, Nvidia's still going to hold the multi-GPU config crown. Considering the GSOD fiasco, even the single-GPU cards are a hope and a prayer upon release IMO...

Given that 5870 three-way crossfire costs more than dual GTX 480s SLI:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5800-3way-cf_12.html

the 3-way CrossFire wins 12 and loses 7 tests, the maximum loss to the GeForce GTX 480 SLI being no larger than 25%.

three GPUs vs. two should never lose.

the average 6.5% advantage over the GeForce GTX 480 SLI is far from impressive.

That let's me know that GTX 480 tri-SLI is going to beat it.

And, to be honest, dual-5970 should beat that. But we know it doesn't.

If it did, I would own dual 5970s. I want performance.

Then again, I am considering 3-D. So, perhaps I wouldn't own AMD at all.

But I'm really just sad about AMD. They really should be handing Nvidia their ass, but they're not. How can I expect different once the 6xxx series is released?

Since AMD bought them out, ATI has been making good strides with every generation. I understand that you have had a bad experience, but your case is atypical of most users of the 5000 series.

Nvidia does in fact handle multi-GPU systems much more gracefully and efficiently, and thus it works better in your case, but to the 90% of users that game on a single GPU, the 5870 has been a solid piece of hardware.

It is imprudent to make a blanket statement of "DO NOT BUY ATI" when really it is an excellent card for nearly everyone that has one.

Looks like the audio issues revolve around something in the control centre or install manager. Even with the latest ones from Realtek the audio still goes stupid with the 10.5a package.

Yeah, you'll always find someone who has problems with one GPU or the other.
If one expects everything Nvidia to be perfect, take a stroll down the Nvidia specific driver forums,
and you'll see lots of problems as well.
As for all GPUs, the problems may not even lie in the hardware or the drivers for the
GPU itself, but may be a problem with your/a particular mix of mobos/soundcards/PSUs/whatever hardware.

My HD5770 has surprised me positively, and I've had very few problems with the GPU, even though it's in a combined HTPC/gamer system (using HDMI out to a 40" 1366x768 HDTV). And I don't think I'm in minority here. Of course I've had a few small troubles here and there, but in my experience, thats just how the PC world is, whether it's Nvidia or ATI, Intel or AMD.
If I were to buy a multigpu system (which I'm not) however, I would buy Nvidia. For my use, though, ATI is the better option (mainly due to the integrated soundcard giving sound out on HDMI)

It is imprudent to make a blanket statement of "DO NOT BUY ATI" when really it is an excellent card for nearly everyone that has one.

Agreed. And it goes the other way around as well. Buy depending on your requirements.

You know that most GSOD problems weren't driver issues, but memory clock issues, right?

Most of those were solved by down-clocking the RAM slightly (if you had an overclocked card), or by getting an RMA. When I flashed the BIOS on my (factory-overclocked) reference 5870 to bring the memory clocks down to 1250 instead of 1300, it got rid of all my GSOD issues.

But Nvidia's cards work, and their scaling is excellent, so I don't get your point.

I haven't read of Nvidia configs where the second GPU has been disabled for the past few months' worth of drivers...

I quoted your previous post because you talked about "wasting money" and how you love your GTX480 SLI setup. We already know a single HD5850 is capable of driving MOST games at Eyefinity resolutions. A few exceptions, but none that I would call AAA material (and their relatively low sales numbers support this). I dunno if I have missed any :p

At any rate, it's better than drivers that cook your card, necesitating a second GPU to be purchased :D

And what kind of tests have you done?

What driver version?
I used 10.7a (hotfix for SC2) and it worked perfectly.

10.8 itself fixed the crossfire issues for me. I've never had quiiite the FPS that 10.5 gave, but 10.8b is plenty playable on my 5970@1920x1200. I have yet to get that flickering black screen like the old 10.8 gave me. B is an improvement in my book.

I have 2 4870x2s in CrossFire and as of 10.8 there were still problems. From what I read it looks like 10.8 fixed the 5xxx problems but not the 4xxx. :mad:

Has any 4xxx CrossFire people tried 10.8b with BFBC2?

I just started replaying BC2 with these drivers. I am getting a lot of flickering and black lines. That's with AA 4x and AF 16x and HBAO on. I am also getting some sort of crash. It will be playing along, and then I get kicked right back to desktop. Not even a notice that something stopped working.

I also noticed when running Vantage, on the seen with the purple clouds, when I have AF on 16x, it makes lines in the clouds.

I just started replaying BC2 with these drivers. I am getting a lot of flickering and black lines. That's with AA 4x and AF 16x and HBAO on. I am also getting some sort of crash. It will be playing along, and then I get kicked right back to desktop. Not even a notice that something stopped working.

I also noticed when running Vantage, on the seen with the purple clouds, when I have AF on 16x, it makes lines in the clouds.

Well that answers my question. I'll wait for 10.9.

Back