ATI Catalyst 10.8 Drivers Are Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
ATi has just released ATI Catalyst 10.8 drivers for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Linux. Aside from the Anti-Aliasing support for StarCraft II, other new features include:

OpenGL ES 2.0 Support
Video Quality Default Options
Performance Enhancement for Eyefinity Quad ATI CrossFireX Configurations

As much as I love ATi, whatever happened to the days of optimizations for new games. I'm running a Crossfire setup with 2 5770's and I get some slight microstuttering in Mafia 2. They announce one set of drivers every month so you'd think they'd have enough time to come out with a fix. I don't know how the green camp is fairing with this game but this is sorta rediculous. 10.6 and 10.7 drivers give horrible performance (for me) in BFBC2, so i'm at a loss. /rant

Either way, how are you guys liking Mafia 2?

Guess there is only so much you can do with a driver for cards that have been out for so long.

Kinda funny.

- [H] does their now famous CrossfireX vs SLI review
- All hell breaks loose
- [H] receives death threats from AMD fanboys
- AMD's next driver has CrossfireX fix.

:D

There was no death threats, 10.5 and behind had crossfire problems. It's a fact not a threat. :rolleyes: That's why they are working on a fix, and who knows if that fixed dual card crossfire, as that's quad.

As much as I love ATi, whatever happened to the days of optimizations for new games. I'm running a Crossfire setup with 2 5770's and I get some slight microstuttering in Mafia 2. They announce one set of drivers every month so you'd think they'd have enough time to come out with a fix. I don't know how the green camp is fairing with this game but this is sorta rediculous. 10.6 and 10.7 drivers give horrible performance (for me) in BFBC2, so i'm at a loss. /rant

Either way, how are you guys liking Mafia 2?

I have horrible stutter with even a single 480 in that game in some situation. looks like a game issue to me..

Here's to hoping Hardocp does a scaling writeup with the new drivers

you guys know that these are WHQL, which means that they've almost a month old....

In fact if you look in info, you can see these are from the 3rd. Don't expect any changes

I have horrible stutter with even a single 480 in that game in some situation. looks like a game issue to me..

My theory regarding the stuttering in Mafia 2 comes from Mafia 2 being a game made in DX9. DX9 is probably an after thought for ati's 5xxx and nvidia's 4xx drivers. Really, nVidia/ATI are pushing DX11 mainly and a bit DX10 and don't care too much about titles containing DX9 imo. I think this is mostly because the people using DX11 cards are generally playing newer games like AVP, BFBC2, etc.

If they were playing old games in DX9 like HL2 EP1, Mass Effect 1, etc, really, they'd probably not need latest-generation card and would be using an older card which conveniently already work well with DX9 titles.

I hope these drivers just work, I've been stuck on 10.5 since everything beyond that causes GSOD and BSODs for me -_-

"Borderlands" no longer fails after a duration of gameplay - Yes!

This is great news. My friend has had this issue repeatedly, which was pretty much killing any interest he had in playing borderlands with our normal group. His would constantly fail about 30-60 min into a game.

I hope these drivers just work, I've been stuck on 10.5 since everything beyond that causes GSOD and BSODs for me -_-

Dragon-: Try an updated BIOS for your card.

I've been installing each new Cat release on my 5870, and each one seems to cause less GSOD's, so I have seen no reason not to upgrade.

Since I was still getting a GSOD about once a week, I emailed Sapphire and asked for a new BIOS, since then, I haven't had a single GSOD

Apparently they do jack shit. ATi fail :rolleyes:

The release notes explicitly say "quad crossfireX" - [H] did a quick dual test. Can't really say ATI failed for that, since they didn't make any claims about dual.

Apparently there is a Mafia 2 update in the 10.8 Catalyst Profile Update. Think i'll try that with the 10.5's i have loaded...

I'll try these tomorrow, fully expecting that AMD/ATI (DAAMIT) STILL won't have fixed the idle clocks when enabling overdrive with a single card!

I'll try these tomorrow, fully expecting that AMD/ATI (DAAMIT) STILL won't have fixed the idle clocks when enabling overdrive with a single card!

Idle clocks/voltage still borked on a single card/single display. Getting the lovely green bits again after the new drivers.

Anyone know if these work with the Asus G73 laptop yet, or we still waiting?

Idle clocks/voltage still borked on a single card/single display.

Confirmed. Yet another driver set that warrants an entry on the Catalyst feedback form.

If anyone else is also annoyed by overdrive disabling your ability to have idle clocks of 157MHz GPU and 300MHz memory on a single display, please join me in passing feedback to ATI/AMD (DAAMIT!) so that they actually fix this irritating issue.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

My theory regarding the stuttering in Mafia 2 comes from Mafia 2 being a game made in DX9. DX9 is probably an after thought for ati's 5xxx and nvidia's 4xx drivers. Really, nVidia/ATI are pushing DX11 mainly and a bit DX10 and don't care too much about titles containing DX9 imo. I think this is mostly because the people using DX11 cards are generally playing newer games like AVP, BFBC2, etc.

If they were playing old games in DX9 like HL2 EP1, Mass Effect 1, etc, really, they'd probably not need latest-generation card and would be using an older card which conveniently already work well with DX9 titles.

I doubt they've dropped DX9 to that degree considering Starcraft 2 is nearly all DX9

Fix the display flickering with multiple monitors you fucking assholes. The next card I and some other people I know get will be nvidia because the flickering is so fucking annoying. I'm not even concerned with the heat/power/noise anymore I wish I could trade my 5850 for a GTX470. Fuck you ATI.

Maybe this will fix the screen flicker I get when watching youtube or other flash content :rolleyes:

I guess I'll upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8 even though it won't affect my ATI 4550 one way or the other.

Fix the display flickering with multiple monitors you fucking assholes. The next card I and some other people I know get will be nvidia because the flickering is so fucking annoying. I'm not even concerned with the heat/power/noise anymore I wish I could trade my 5850 for a GTX470. Fuck you ATI.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :p

I guess I'll upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8 even though it won't affect my ATI 4550 one way or the other.

lol, since I got a Zotac 9300ITX (Dad's build), I now have two extraneous HD4350 cards... time for crossfire comparisons to my HD5870s :cool:

I am sure they are affected in some minor way, but maybe they will run AOE3 @ 1080p maxxed out (gotta wait till the 31st before I get my monitor, though :().

Oh, and why does AMD make us go through some ridiculous questionaire for the AVIVO convertor? It's not even an updated survey :mad:

lol, since I got a Zotac 9300ITX (Dad's build), I now have two extraneous HD4350 cards... time for crossfire comparisons to my HD5870s :cool:

I am sure they are affected in some minor way, but maybe they will run AOE3 @ 1080p maxxed out (gotta wait till the 31st before I get my monitor, though :().
Wow, some old cards there. The 4350s are similar to my 4550. But of course your 5870 kicks ass. :cool:

Wow, some old cards there. The 4350s are similar to my 4550. But of course your 5870 kicks ass. :cool:

Since most benches/reviews I seen have placed the HD4550 at double the speed (or at least FPS) of a HD4350... do you think two HD4350 will get to the sheer speed of your HD4550? :D

Since most benches/reviews I seen have placed the HD4550 at double the speed (or at least FPS) of a HD4350... do you think two HD4350 will get to the sheer speed of your HD4550? :D
LOL, yeah, run the 4350 in CrossFire mode! :D

Or get a 4650 and put my 4550 to shame. :p

Maybe this will fix the screen flicker I get when watching youtube or other flash content :rolleyes:

One thing i did for that, that is you can disable hardware acceleration.

On a youtube video right-click the video and go to settings.

Then uncheck "hardware acceleration"

Back