ATI cards giving random "no signal found"

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
Im having a problem with my video card cutting in and out. I get random "no signal found" prompts from my Dell 2709, maybe 2-5 times a day. They only last a second or 2 and the display always comes back with the computer still doing its thing. My card is an 18 month old MSI ATI 4850 and i simply thought it was just getting old and was just hoping it would hold out until ATI released their next series.
Today i was reinstalling windows 7 for a friend and i noticed the same behavior on his computer, before, during and after installation (and hes telling me as i type that its still happening). The problem here is, he has a Gigabyte ATI 5950 and its only 2 months old. He told me that it started happening a few weeks ago. So now im actively trying to solve the problem since i now know its not just my "old card" about to die.
I built our systems and they are identical except for the video cards and monitors, but were both experiencing the same problem. I would assume that would point to the problem being some other hardware that we have in common.
Here are the system specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i7 875K
Ram: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws
HDD: WD 300GB Velociraptor
PSU: Corsair TX750W 750 Watt
Video: MSI 4850 on Dell 2709 and Gigabyte 5850 on Asus VH236H

Nothing is overclocked yet.
I plan to upgrade my mobo bios to see if that makes any difference.
Any insight on this problem would be appreciated.

Are your monitors hooked up through vga/dvi/hdmi? Have you tried different versions of the Catalyst driver. Try version 10.5. They were the last solid drivers as far as I know, however I hear they dont play nice with SC2.

Sorry... both monitors are hooked up through DVI. I'll try VGA when i can find some adapters, i know i have some in my junk box.
I'll give 10.5 a try, but im pretty sure its not a windows driver issue. It happens even while in the mobo bios.

I had that issue briefly on my friends PC , I had to restart while connected through the Display port and the DVI port to get one of them to start up the monitor.

Back