ATi Canceling X850XT Orders?

Jima13

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2002
Messages
878
Spectre said:
Sorry my point wasn't clear.... the point was that since Visontek seems to be manufacturing all of ATI's product that is the only label they seem to be going out under to retail/etail in any kind of numbers...except maybe to the OEM's who are getting BBA cards and then selling them.

BBA cards had the 'made in Canada' stamp, when was the last time you saw one of these? IIRC they were only going to produce AIW's at the Canada Fab.......This change goes back almost 4 years> http://www.macworld.com/news/2001/05/30/ati/
"-- but it appears that the days of ATI-branded boxes on store shelves will be coming to an end."

although the 9700pro I got from Gamestop in Aug '02 has the 'made in Canada' stamp....I'd be interested to know if anyone has a card newer than the 9700 that was made in Canada?

but, I digress, the wine is getting to me ;)
 

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
20,497
Jima13 said:
BBA cards had the 'made in Canada' stamp, when was the last time you saw one of these? IIRC they were only going to produce AIW's at the Canada Fab.......This change goes back almost 4 years> http://www.macworld.com/news/2001/05/30/ati/
"-- but it appears that the days of ATI-branded boxes on store shelves will be coming to an end."

although the 9700pro I got from Gamestop in Aug '02 has the 'made in Canada' stamp....I'd be interested to know if anyone has a card newer than the 9700 that was made in Canada?

but, I digress, the wine is getting to me ;)
I haven't checked the built stamp since i haven't been able to walk up to a x8xx series card that is in that pretty little red box and look. :D

ATI has been selling newer than 9700PRO cards as ATI cards but i don't know where they have been built for sure. All I know is that I read somewhere tha tVisontek was building the x850's.

Edit: I would like to add that from what I read VIsontek is supposed ot be shipping some back to ATI to receive ATI packaging. Just so that was clear.
 

pxc

Extremely [H]
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
33,064
Jima13 said:
although the 9700pro I got from Gamestop in Aug '02 has the 'made in Canada' stamp....I'd be interested to know if anyone has a card newer than the 9700 that was made in Canada?
Every ATI card I bought after the 8500 was made in China. I'm not complaining about it... none have ever been DOA or failed. In fact, the only 2 video cards that I ever had fail (going back the last 15 years) were a Diamond Voodoo1 and a STB Voodoo2.
 

Genesis

n00b
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
28
I love my X800XT, but I gotta say, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if ATi goes under.
 

mohammedtaha

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
3,648
It's impossible to say what's going on .. they might be cutting down production of those cards to unveil yet another card ... :rolleyes: ... or maybe they're slowing it down because they don't want people to get too many of them so that they can go on for a while with those cards and then release the new technology with the xbox2 ...

If ATi is going down because of this .. nVidia should've gone down because of their fx line ...
 

centvalny

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,257
gordon151 said:
what are your highest stable clocks?
so far, mine (bba card) scaled to 609core and 1218mem. on stock air and ran AM3 at 100K :D
amJPG
 

Jima13

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2002
Messages
878
Spectre said:
I haven't checked the built stamp since i haven't been able to walk up to a x8xx series card that is in that pretty little red box and look. :D

Got me :D but you know what I meant......It was a business decision they needed to make; by cutting back production in Toronto they were signaling their partners, and possible future partners, that they wouldn't be undercutting them.

Just my semi-coherent POV :)
 

Jima13

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2002
Messages
878
pxc said:
Every ATI card I bought after the 8500 was made in China. I'm not complaining about it... none have ever been DOA or failed. In fact, the only 2 video cards that I ever had fail (going back the last 15 years) were a Diamond Voodoo1 and a STB Voodoo2.

yea, no complaints here either. My [made in China] x800pro vivo has been serving well since last summer.......my point was targeted to the business side of the equation....I think? :D Time for some more merlot eh ;)
 

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
20,497
Jima13 said:
Got me :D but you know what I meant......It was a business decision they needed to make; by cutting back production in Toronto they were signaling their partners, and possible future partners, that they wouldn't be undercutting them.

Just my semi-coherent POV :)

I got ya...... :D
 

ReVRiN

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 10, 2000
Messages
1,636
Major_A said:
Are you aware that nVidia is located/founded in California? Are you aware that the are the ones that develop the technology and sell it to partner companies to actually make the cards?


100% aware of that... the manufacturing is done where? That is where the problem lays.

I work in this industry... I know first hand about problems overseas causing massive $$$ issues here leading to end user complaints.

So buying American leaves you where when you can't get the GPU's and RAM manufactured on time? Lord knows it is too expensive to produce locally.
 

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
1,164
ReVRiN said:
100% aware of that... the manufacturing is done where? That is where the problem lays.

I work in this industry... I know first hand about problems overseas causing massive $$$ issues here leading to end user complaints.

So buying American leaves you where when you can't get the GPU's and RAM manufactured on time? Lord knows it is too expensive to produce locally.
Okay you seem to be missing my "made in America" point. nVidia develops the technology, they are an American company. Hence I will be buying American technology even though the card itself is made in Taiwan, etc...
 

glynn

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
104
BBA Radeon X850 Alive and Well
Today at 06:10 PM by Ratchet1 Comment
To clarify a story X-bit Labs ran yesterday (which we reported on here), I fired off an email to Patti Mikula, ATI Public Relations Manager for Desktop Products. Here's what she had to say:
Hi Mark,

No, ATI has not cancelled built by ATI RADEON X850 products. When allocating products, we prioritize our partners first (our board partners, our retail and e-tail partners and our OEM partners) followed by our own ati.com store (note that the ati.com store is just one place to purchase built by ATI cards). When we have a product that is highly sought after, like the RADEON X850 XT, this can cause a delay in shipping product out to our ati.com customers. In this instance we felt that our ati.com customers could get the product they wanted faster from one of our partners, so we advised them of stores that have the RADEON X850 available and cancelled their ati.com order so they could freely purchase the card elsewhere. For customers that wished to continue with a purchase from ati.com, we made a special offer available to them to thank them for their patience. Hope that helps clarify. Have a good weekend.


Patti Mikula
Public Relations Manager
Desktop Products
ATI Technologies Inc.
So, clearly, the X850 is alive and well. It's just that if you want one, ATI suggests that you're better off not ordering it from ATI's online store. Instead, get it "Built By ATI" from a r/e-tailer or "Powered By ATI" from one of ATI's partners.

Run for the hills the end of ATI is nye LMFAO. Some of you people would make good strategists For Bushs war on Terror 99% Hearsay 1% truth.
 

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
20,497
glynn said:
Run for the hills the end of ATI is nye LMFAO. Some of you people would make good strategists For Bushs war on Terror 99% Hearsay 1% truth.

Well the point still stands that people who ordered through ATI's website are going to pissed as shit that there order was canceled because ATI can't/won't fill it. This will bite them on the ass....[H]ard.
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
Gee I wonder what NV's secret is since they seem like they don't have any trouble selling to both OEMs and end users. ;) LMAO

(Sorry, just had to say it :D )
 

Shapeshifter

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
342
CrimandEvil said:
Gee I wonder what NV's secret is since they seem like they don't have any trouble selling to both OEMs and end users. ;) LMAO

(Sorry, just had to say it :D )

Nvidia does NOT sell to end users period. They sell to OEMs who make the cards, and you buy from them.
 

shoes

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
405
is it true that ATi's x850 technology is going to be more readily available than the x800s? i have heard that the x850s will be abundant and prices will finally get back to msrp?
 

PruBowl300

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 11, 2004
Messages
70
They are available, and they aren't much over MSRP. You just have to look at the right online stores, and find the best deal.
 

glynn

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
104
Gee I wonder what NV's secret is since they seem like they don't have any trouble selling to both OEMs and end users. LMAO

I wonder what the secret is to finding one of there current PCIE cards lol!
 

hardwarephreak

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
1,283
I think to summarize things thus far...

People are pissed that the pre-orders were cancelled...Valid.

You can get the cards elsewhere, by different manufacturers...Valid

Sometimes they cost an arm and a leg too...Valid (and supa $hitty too.)

Video cards (on the higher end) are not readily available in retail...Semi-Valid

ATI has structured its distribution like many other companies have...take a look at the whole Valve/Sierra + Steam setup. Not exactly like ATI and its Partners, but close enough for this example. Valve has Steam, ATI has the ATI Store. Valve has to fulfill orders and distribution clauses with Sierra. ATI has to do the same with its OEMs and partners. Sure Valve could have release HL2 on Steam before Sierra could have sold one boxed version of the game, but that would have been seriously $hitty business, undercutting people they signed contracts with. Same goes for ATI, they are making the chips..they could just as easily fulfill all online preorders first...but that would make them extremely unpopular with 3rd party manufacturers.

Here is the catch...sure Sierra could try and find another software developer to publish games for, but would that have screwed Valve...no (and that's why there was all of that legal crap that threatened the last release date)...In the case of ATI, if they don't supply the 3rd party guys with cards, nVidia will welcome them with open arms to thier side...it would be the death of ATI...they need the 3rd party guys to keep them alive...

I have to agree that it has been rather frustrating as of late, I can't simply go to my distros and get the latest card from whichever manufacturer I want, but the cards are available. If you like ATI or you like competition, then you better hope they (ATI) get enough chips to thier "powered by" peeps.

And that ends our lesson for today, please read chapters 7 and 11 and be prepared for a quiz in our next thread...class dismissed :D
 

mohammedtaha

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
3,648
hardwarephreak said:
And that ends our lesson for today, please read chapters 7 and 11 and be prepared for a quiz in our next thread...class dismissed :D

Of which book and where's this thread you're talkin about and when is the quiz, Monday ? :( I have a midterm on Monday !!


People should really calm down about this unavailability shit ... There are people around the world who want these cards too .. I'm pretty sure ATi cards have higher demand than the nVidia cards even though SLI is around but 1 ATi card is cheaper than 2 gt's especially when you're ordering from overseas. You have to pay customs and taxes and big time s&h !!!

Any who ... if anyone finds out where and when the quiz is, please holla at your boy .. I don't wanna fail it !!
 

SureFire

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
193
I just got my OEM Connect3D X850 XT Platinum Edition on Friday for $566. I ordered it last Tuesday from www.pwrpc.com. Its the EXACT SAME CARD AS THE ASUS, that expensive Asus model on the [H] front page. It cam with all extras EXCEPT the software and the retail box, but all the wiring/adapters shown in the Asus model at Newegg were included. Like I said, exact same as Asus.
 

trudude

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
1,647
I got a BBA oem card for $485 about 3 weeks ago. Great card, but I like my SLI setup much more.
 

centvalny

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,257
SureFire said:
I just got my OEM Connect3D X850 XT Platinum Edition on Friday for $566. I ordered it last Tuesday from www.pwrpc.com. Its the EXACT SAME CARD AS THE ASUS, that expensive Asus model on the [H] front page. It cam with all extras EXCEPT the software and the retail box, but all the wiring/adapters shown in the Asus model at Newegg were included. Like I said, exact same as Asus.
Wow, thats the best deal so far... ;) oem or retail its the same thing...
 

trudude

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
1,647
centvalny said:
Wow, thats the best deal so far... ;) oem or retail its the same thing...
Not better than mine, but I got in early so I got a great deal on the first run of the cards.
 

TheArchangel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
329

Just adding in my other .25 cents here, as so many have stated that the X850 can be found online, yes I know and have seen them, maybe its just me and my thinking, yes I know my wittle brain can be a little thick and screwy at times. But, I wanted to buy the X850 XT PE PCie direct from ATI, reguardless if it was made in the TinBuck-to or in the west indies, at least it would have been in the ATI Box and if by some chance there was a problem with it, ATI I know does have and will give Tech Support.

And Im not all to sure what if any support is available with all the different Manufactures, in the Event the Card did have problems, and that I wanted Retail first and formost.

Also, as someone else has already stated, the next Gen of Xbox was Slated to be releasted this year some time as well as in 2006, and I heard that ATI was contracted for the Graphics cards, so maybe, just maybe, ATI can't handle the End User Orders and be able to Fullfill its Contract with the Next Gen Xbox, they bit off more than they can chew.
From a business stand point, ATI would be out of their cotten pickin minds to loose that kind of a Contract, and I understand that, then when they were or are able to Fullfill the End user orders. And as others have stated, Pre-rders should have never been taken, and or offered, but they got to greedy and it all back fired right into their faces and now a Whole lot of people are Very Pissed, and rightfully so. Yes, Im not a very happy Camper but such is life, and there is no reason to keep crying about it, whats done is done, now I just have to see what will happen with my X800 XL PCie Re-Order? :rolleyes:

Okay my rant is over :D :p

Dre
 

SureFire

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
193

mohammedtaha

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
3,648
I have noticed that almost everyone tries to order a video card that has not been released yet or when it is back ordered HOPING that they will get the card.

NEVER pre-order or order a card that is back-ordered. You might be #2 or #300 you never know so why throw your credit card info. there and get tied up with that company ?

Go online and look around ... You will defintely find it some where else for the same price or a little more expensive but available or maybe cheaper ...

This way we won't have threads like these and people won't complain so much or come up with theories or reasons to why this company sucks and all !!
 

LyCoS

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
205
JaiQwan said:

Just adding in my other .25 cents here, as so many have stated that the X850 can be found online, yes I know and have seen them, maybe its just me and my thinking, yes I know my wittle brain can be a little thick and screwy at times. But, I wanted to buy the X850 XT PE PCie direct from ATI, reguardless if it was made in the TinBuck-to or in the west indies, at least it would have been in the ATI Box and if by some chance there was a problem with it, ATI I know does have and will give Tech Support.

And Im not all to sure what if any support is available with all the different Manufactures, in the Event the Card did have problems, and that I wanted Retail first and formost.

Also, as someone else has already stated, the next Gen of Xbox was Slated to be releasted this year some time as well as in 2006, and I heard that ATI was contracted for the Graphics cards, so maybe, just maybe, ATI can't handle the End User Orders and be able to Fullfill its Contract with the Next Gen Xbox, they bit off more than they can chew.
From a business stand point, ATI would be out of their cotten pickin minds to loose that kind of a Contract, and I understand that, then when they were or are able to Fullfill the End user orders. And as others have stated, Pre-rders should have never been taken, and or offered, but they got to greedy and it all back fired right into their faces and now a Whole lot of people are Very Pissed, and rightfully so. Yes, Im not a very happy Camper but such is life, and there is no reason to keep crying about it, whats done is done, now I just have to see what will happen with my X800 XL PCie Re-Order? :rolleyes:

Okay my rant is over :D :p

Dre

i know fram experience that gigabyte has one of the top supports in the industry. sapphires support is decent, and so is any other powered by ATI card supplier.

as far as production, arent ATI chips suppost to be manufactured by TSMC ???
so why does ATI get the blame for not producing chips :confused:
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
LyCoS said:
i know fram experience that gigabyte has one of the top supports in the industry. sapphires support is decent, and so is any other powered by ATI card supplier.

as far as production, arent ATI chips suppost to be manufactured by TSMC ???
so why does ATI get the blame for not producing chips :confused:
If you listen to ATI they blame Samsung for not getting enough mem chips. :rolleyes:
 

SureFire

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
193
burningrave101 said:
All except for the warranty.

I just got this back from Connect3d in less than an hour. I specified that I had and OEM X850 XT PE Model 3025.

"The warranty on all of our graphics cards are two years. If you are asking just in case you need to return the card, we only need to see your proof of purchase to process an rma.

Kind Regards,

Connect3D Inc."

Has anybody noticed any differences in these X850 XT PE's besides the HSF? I know the Asus, Connect3d and Sapphire are all the same.
 

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
11,825
Here are some more of ATI's bullshit tactics.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=423947&lastpage=1

As a side note, I saw this at SD.

It's a converstation bet. a pre-order person and an ATI CSR.

Take it for what it's worth:


"You are aware ATI is distributing them to CompUSA?

answer: yes we are distributing the x800 xl to CompUSAs, and no we are not sending them out to customers who ordered them with the discount.. they have to wait until mid march.. and will probably be pushed back even further..

You do know your losing customers correct?

answer: Yes but it was a website mistake and we dont have any control over it. We would be losing money.. I can however cancel your order."


It just seems to me that ATI does not care about their customers too much as they know they'll make their money anyhow. If you got somehting people realy want then you can control the situation regarding its sale much more.

Com'on Nvidia this is a golden opportunity for ya. Get your sellers to drop the price of your 6800gt pcie and you'll make a bundle. Personally, if you offer me a 6800gt pcie at $300-$325 then I would take that over the x800 xl. Oh well....

And check out some of the stuff being said by CompUSA CSR's lol.

They took it down, item 50881768 is no longer there, only item 318335, the one for $299.99. And strange to say, but frustration finally got the best of me, and I broke down a couple of hours ago and ordered the $272 one, even though it was still "backordered." I'm almost beginning to think that my order is going to ship soon regardless. I got a confirmation, then a notice of acceptance and processing, with a promise to send notice of shipment next. And the status page in my account lists the order as "open" rather than "backordered."

Yesterday, via email, my local CUSABiz rep explained the difference in pricing on the two by saying 318335 was the new, updated version of 50881768, because ATI had added dual RAMDAC to it. I emailed back that it seemed odd that ATI would make a major revison on a card that'd just barely hit the market, while keeping the same part number for both versions. That didn't faze him, and he held steadfast in his superior knowledge. But I let him--why hurt the feelings of someone I was trying to get a deal from? (CUSABiz reps must normally deal with buyers who don't know much about, or even care to know much about, the finer points of their purchases.)

BTW, here is the links to the X800XL on CUSA and CUSA Business.

http://www.compusabusiness.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50881768

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=318335&pfp=srch1

CUSA Business has it back in stock for $272.89 and says it ships in 1-2 business days. I ordered one a few days ago.
 
Top