ATI and HDCP class action suit

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I dunno if anyone remembers this, but apparently the "HDCP ready" scandal from long ago actually turned into a class-action suit that ATI agreed to settle with. If you bought one of the ATI-branded cards that falsely claimed to support HDCP, you can get a free Radeon 4650, a nice upgrade if you're still using one of those old cards.

http://www.aticlassaction.com/

You are a class member if, while residing in the United States, you purchased for your own personal use and not for resale an ATI graphics card (that means a card built by or for ATI, not by or for another company such as Asus, Diamond, Gigabyte, Palit, Sapphire, or VisionTek) from one of the following series: Radeon® 9550; Radeon® 9800; Radeon® x700; Radeon® x800; Radeon® x850; Radeon® x1300; Radeon® x1600; Radeon® x1800; Radeon® x1900; All-in-Wonder® 9800; All-in-Wonder® 2006; All-in-Wonder® x600; All-in-Wonder® x800; All-in-Wonder® x1800; All-in-Wonder® x1900; or any FireGL® or FireMV® series of graphics cards. You must have made your purchase during the period from January 1, 2003 to March 31, 2006.

I had a Visiontek x850xt I got from Dell at that point but I don't have the invoice any more (That was a long time ago and Dell records apparently only go back 2 years on the site). EDIT: I guess it's ATI cards only (not secondary vendors).

Last edited:
neat, I have an ATI x800XT AIW,.

Can still get the invoice from newegg 5/4/05

is the replacement card AGP though?

EDIT

That doesn't do me any good, PCIe card for an AGP one? Thats brilliant.

Though it all depends on how many people participate, if a lot of people do, you could end up getting like 20 dollars. woopie.

Sadly all my ati cards from that era were built by visitek or another vendor...

Last built by ati card was a Rage Fury P.O.S.

Hope this pushes ATI to bring out the HD5000 series sooner so they can make some more money to pay all these people off.

:cool:

I still have two Built by ATI X1950 Pros collecting dust now and an invoice thanks to Newegg.

So I get two free HD4650s? Time to go read and figure it all out... ;)

find out and let me know :D

Says one 4650 for every claim you submit. Meaning I get two. ;) Can't wait to get home and pull my information and submit a claim. :)

Wonder which 4650 we get... Would love a low profile one for an HTPC. ;)

Says one 4650 for every claim you submit. Meaning I get two. ;) Can't wait to get home and pull my information and submit a claim. :)

Wonder which 4650 we get... Would love a low profile one for an HTPC. ;)

nice. i will put in my claim for my x800xt aiw :D

my mom's 690g or whatever motherboard she has is first-gen hdmi, and it simply doesn't work... guess im screwed

Hmm wonder if this covers purchases made through ebay, the documentation doesn't really say if it had to be bought through a particular channel. I still have my made by ATI X800XL from 7/22/05 and the invoices to go with it.

I found the class lawyers' email addresses online and asked them. If they respond I'll post it here for anyone else who would want to know. Not too big of a loss if it's not covered anyway.

I think I remember seeing that if there's more than a set amount of people (calculated from the max amount of the class action suit and the price per 4650), then everyone that filed only gets an HD2400 Pro instead...lol

I think I remember seeing that if there's more than a set amount of people (calculated from the max amount of the class action suit and the price per 4650), then everyone that filed only gets an HD2400 Pro instead...lol

55,500 claims or less you get a 4650 for every claim. 55,501-72,500 I think nets you a 2400 Pro. Anything more then 72,500 it's like $42 dollars in the form of a check. ;)

The chance of getting a free 4650 or two is just too good to pass up. :)

Either the 4650 is win, and so is the 42 buck check :D

the 2400 pro is junk :D

I had a ati 9700 before. I don't think I have any receipt for something that old.

Wow. Cool.
I bought an AGP x1600Pro a couple years ago, it's be nice to be a PCI-E 4650 as a replacement.
Still have everything for it, receipt, box, card, and all.
Thanks!

im pissed, i got 2x9800pro, 1 x1600 and 1 x1900. i still have reciepts for a couple at least but it doesnt matter because im in canada.

stupid boarder

I am pretty sure I got at least one card from Newegg. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the invoice.

damn.. i have a ATI radeon 9550.. or well.. pieces of a radeon 9550 some where.. :p

but yeah most of my ATI cards are either diamond or visiontek..

Hmmm.......

Even if my X1900XT was ATI brand instead of Sapphire, I'm not sure I would trade it in for a HD 4650.

I wish I lived in the US, then I'd be entitled to two new HD4650 cards (have ATi 9800Pro and X850XT-PE). On the other hand... never mind

Yay, I found the receipt for my X1800 card.
Boo, its one month later than the required period.

Guys, if you read the class action site closely it has to be ATI brand and not any of the AIB partners.

You are a class member if, while residing in the United States, you purchased for your own personal use and not for resale an ATI graphics card (that means a card built by or for ATI, not by or for another company such as Asus, Diamond, Gigabyte, Palit, Sapphire, or VisionTek) from one of the following series: Radeon® 9550; Radeon® 9800; Radeon® x700; Radeon® x800; Radeon® x850; Radeon® x1300; Radeon® x1600; Radeon® x1800; Radeon® x1900; All-in-Wonder® 9800; All-in-Wonder® 2006; All-in-Wonder® x600; All-in-Wonder® x800; All-in-Wonder® x1800; All-in-Wonder® x1900; or any FireGL® or FireMV® series of graphics cards. You must have made your purchase during the period from January 1, 2003 to March 31, 2006.

The weird part is that I actually *am* a member of the class (ATI-branded RADEON x1650 PRO AGP purchased in July 2005 at Best Buy), and the graphics card in question is still in service (though in Mom's computer, as I have since moved on to PCIe). The weird part is, as I remember it coming up in discussion, I know of few purchasers of any x1600-based cards in AGP that had HDCP support as a factor (it certainly wasn't in my own case, as I purchased it as a direct replacement for a failing AIW 9700 Pro, also in AGP), as most AGP cards then (and likely still true today) are connected to CRTs (which don't support HDCP at all, though they can certainly be manufactured to support it). If I were to take advantage of the settlement, the replacement card would most likely be PCIe (though there are HD4000 AGP cards, they are HD4350s) and would replace my HD3450 (which supports HDCP *properly*, as it is not named in the class-action).

Weird.

Guys, if you read the class action site closely it has to be ATI brand and not any of the AIB partners.

That means it still covers any ATI-branded card sold in 2005 (as they were made *for* ATI by Visiontek Products, LLC, based on ATI's jigs).

The settlement addresses cards with the stated GPU series made by or for ATI; therefore the ATI-branded-but-Visiontek-manufactured 2005/2006 models are specifically included in the settlement class. The Visiontek-branded cards over the same period, however, are not included (though they were, in fact, manufactured using the same jigs and on the same assembly line, and sold via the same retailers, especially Best Buy, MicroCenter, and NewEgg).

I had to look over the text carefully because I own one of these cards (ATI-branded X1650 PRO AGP; though built by Visiontek Products, LLC, it carries ATI branding, uses ATI's manufacture ID, and is covered by an ATI warranty) and find myself in the odd position of being part of the settlement class. (This is actually the *only* time I have ever found myself part of the settlement class of any IT product-related class-action, despite having owned computers for eighteen years and having been in IT, in some way/shape/form, for over three decades.)

Just got a response back about purchases made on eBay if anyone was interested:
Thank you for your email. In answer to your question, yes, a purchase on eBay of an ATI graphics card is covered by the settlement. To submit a claim, just fill out the claim form at the aticlassaction.com website.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

David
woot

I actually got my 9800Pro on eBay too but I'm not sure if it was a made by ati or made for ati part, just came in an anti-static bag so I guess it could be OEM too. I think I'll cut my losses and just claim the X800XL anyway, that way it won't inflate the claim numbers and give me a better chance at the 4650 ;)

WTH so the 3rd place prize is better than 2nd place one while 1st would be way better.

3rd: 4650 512MB
2nd: 2400 PRO 256MB
1st: part of the $3 million

I bought an x800xt direct off of ATi, is there a place I can go to look up my receipt?

Where you bought it from.

Directly from ATi.

ATI longer exists. They are now part of AMD. The direct buy logins no longer work.

Edit: For those of you who purchased directly off of ATi, just follow through the steps and at the end pick at the bottom "purchased directly from ATi.com", and I guess they'll look up your records.

WTH so the 3rd place prize is better than 2nd place one while 1st would be way better.

3rd: 4650 512MB
2nd: 2400 PRO 256MB
1st: part of the $3 million

You've got it completely flipped.

If <55k claim its the 4650
if 55k<but<77k then its a HD2400
if its 77k< then you get your cut of 3 million dollars.

So 1st goes the 4650, then the 2400, and then 42 dollars OR less.

Back