ATI/AMD TV out over HDMI, no bios / post

AbRASiON

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Apparently this is a common issue?
I've got 2 cards here both of which, once in my awesome little HTPC will NOT display the bios boot stuff until Windows initialises the driver. It's really damned painful.
Can't run multi-OS and choose other OS, can't enter the BIOS, can't run a bootable memtest etc, because there's simply nothing on the display over HDMI?

Anyone else seen this personally? I've just gone and flashed the card from Gigabyte with a .71 revision firmware, alas, not fixed.
If I run VGA, it will work on the TV.

It's very annoying, my nvidia card works fine.
Bonus frustration: AMD has had this issue for 3 or 4 years through cards and yet it's still not fixed, any ideas?

I don't know what to say, i have an AMD card on my HTPC and i don't have that issue, in my case i use a 7870 and it shows perfectly, but my TV also supports a wide variety of resolutions, starting at 800x600, which is the resolution my card defaults to for BIOS purposes.

My guess would be a kind of handshake failure between your tv set and the card, sorry that i can't really help you beyond thinking the same as what you did, a Video card Bios update... did you just jump to the latest or did you try one by one? ...

Also if your htpc has a different output, like integrated, maybe you could see if integrated is the preferred starter graphic of choice and then it changes to your add in card?, i am honestly throwing things out there and hoping that something sticks, although it wouldnt surprise me if you have given this last thing a test.

I have this from time to time.

+1 for any other GPU. Make sure the AMD card is the only one active and has the only video connection. Try powering everything off (pull the power cord) for a good 10 minutes or so with no video connection. Then power the PC up still with no video connection. You don’t have to go into Windows but you can and if it’s Windows 7 you can hit the Windows key, right arrow then enter to shutdown Windows. You may want to try it with display still connected first.

The BIOS screens are before the OS is doing its thing so it’s seems like there is some kind of memory in the card or the BIOS that sees a video connection and likes to stick with it. There may be a setting in the BIOS that can change this but I’ve done the above a few times after swapping cards around.

I also have issues after updating the video driver from time to time. In Windows it will decide that it likes the TV and the LCDs are unable to activate.

Back