ATI 9.2 is up

In the case of game bugs I would speculate that 95% of bugs (at least) are the game developers fault. I remember interning at a small game studio, and the game would occasionally crash, but only on ATI system and the crash would occur inside the ATI driver DLL. So the devs blamed it as an ATI driver bug. I spent some time going over it with the debugger, and it turns out that they would occasionally do something that the OpenGL spec explicitly forbids (an empty glBegin()/glEnd() block iirc). I'm assuming that ATI didn't do checks for invalid inputs in the interest of performance, which was something that the spec allows for them to do. I imagine that this sort of bug is not uncommon.

After all, all ATI and Nvidia can reasonably be expected to do is follow the API specs to the letter - which is the entire point of the spec. I find it amazing that the two companies are going far beyond that and doing bug fixing for other companies games.

Now, in this particular case it seems to be some sort of incompatibility, but I do believe that it is likely a similar type of problem as one side not following the spec to the letter.

This is very enlightening, thank you. Same thing happened with Second Life. NVIDIA cards had a bug where textures would render black. LL blamed NVIDIA's drivers, when it fact it was a problem with SL.

Gonna jump in and say...another satisfied install...maybe I'm just lucky...but never had a problem

This is very enlightening, thank you. Same thing happened with Second Life. NVIDIA cards had a bug where textures would render black. LL blamed NVIDIA's drivers, when it fact it was a problem with SL.

It's pretty said that in the computer industry hardly anybody really complies to the "standards". Up stream API implementers have a hard enough time just making sure they can do what they claim (every CPU's got erratas etc) while downstream writer often take what ever short cut for speed just not giving a damn what the standards say.

Anyway I was curious if this error 43 incompatible display device was a problem only on Nvidia type motherboards. I asked over at the ATI forum if anyone was having this problem that had an AMD board. The answer is YES so apparently this problem has nothing to do with Nvidia or AMD type boards. Actually it seems like a lot of people are fixing this problem by reinstalling the operating system. Im just not prepared to do that at this time.

Anyway I was curious if this error 43 incompatible display device was a problem only on Nvidia type motherboards. I asked over at the ATI forum if anyone was having this problem that had an AMD board. The answer is YES so apparently this problem has nothing to do with Nvidia or AMD type boards. Actually it seems like a lot of people are fixing this problem by reinstalling the operating system. Im just not prepared to do that at this time.

I get 43 from sometimes if don't clean the old driver completely. Other than that the one issue that I get during every attempted install-over is the "driver not supported" error from CCC.

Server 2008 seems to get hit with CCC install issues quite a lot I had the CCC error even when the notes said it was solved. My brother's V64 business never had any issues. For him it was install over the old, reboot and that's it. For me without exceptions driver cleaning under safe mode is a must.

No, as I mentioned, this is not even a nforce alone problem and even Nvidia cards gets error 43. Its a motherboard compatibility problem. This is why most don't get this error.

You shouldn't have to go to the length of reinstalling the OS anyway. It works sometimes, but I suspect that this is due to a faulty harddrive or similar, where some of the OS is on bad sectors. I've seen it before. Often when people do a full reinstall, they do a full format, where bad sectors gets marked.

What you can try, is as following:
Install this just to be sure:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961894
Uninstall and reinstall the chipset drivers (to avoid that there is any corruption).
Uninstall ATi drivers.
Reboot.
Enter device manager and change the display drivers to "standard VGA" (don't mind if there is a yellow marker on the drivers afterwards).
Reboot.
Install 9.2.

Its worth a try and I prefer this method to drivercleaner and such. :)

After all, all ATI and Nvidia can reasonably be expected to do is follow the API specs to the letter - which is the entire point of the spec. I find it amazing that the two companies are going far beyond that and doing bug fixing for other companies games.

QFT! Driver developers gets a lot of heat, but they go beyond their call of duty to fix other peoples mess sometimes. If people would be more aware, they would applaud them more then give them heat. ATI and Nvidia driver team deserves a cheers sometimes.

A prime example on hardware incompatibility where Nvidia and ATI gets a lot of blame, is the Atikmdag and nvlddmkm issues. I remember clearly one spesific case, where the person had 4 dimms full of memory. He was getting this error, tearing his hair out 'cause of it and blamed drivers. It turned out that his motherboard wasn't prepaired to give enough juice to the memory chips when all banks were full. Solution: Increase voltage on memory by 0.1 in Bios and error disappared.

Here's 113 pages of it and they did start another thread later:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381&st=2240

Solutions have been from changing voltage to turning off Vista Aero. These threads are everywhere and they are large. ATI and Nvidia gets the heat, but most of the fixes are not related even to ATI and Nvidia.

My point is, people have a soup of different hardware. Not everything is compatible with everything. One can buy memory chips from two manufacturers with same specs and only one of them will work on your motherboard. Memory chips don't even have drivers. Errors can show up in OS, GFX drivers or everywhere as a general unstability.

Question is: Who is to blame?

MB manufacturer?
Chip maker?
OS maker?
Nvidia/ATI?
or the one buying the different parts mixing and matching them?

The easy way out, would be to blame Nvidia/Ati as I've seen so many times. Make them fix the incompatibilty issues as they have done so many times before.

Same with games. There is a new game coming that doesn't work on major hardware. Blame Nvidia/Ati for the game not working properly. Never mind that they had nothing to do with the game developement...

Back on track on the thread:

Catalyst 9.2 works like a charm. I've tested it mainly with Fear 2 (because I just bought it) and the 4870X2 seems like overkill for it now. [H] is going to make a review of Fear 2 using those drivers and I really look forward seeing their results as well. :)

A nice game, but I hate the black bars and therefore had to use 1920x1080 and make the GFX card stretch the game to full screen.

Another end user with a Sony XBR6 TV experiencing the same driver issue with 9.2 that I am.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=15883293&postcount=2671
yep, same result here. the tv is now detecting the signal as a PC, it used to be detected as 16:9 1080p/60.
now the only Picture Mode profiles are Text or Video. All the video processing is disabled. The Home -> Screen menu does show the signal correctly as 1920x1080/60Hz.

ATI must have changed the way the signal is output.

i ran a small test in Crysis, im pretty sure i was GPU limited which could be one of the reason i didnt see a real improvement in FPS

but i was in 1920x1080 ALL Very High except Motion Blur at Medium, no AA, no AF.

my avg fps was about the same, but i gained about 3 fps on the max end, which would be from looking at the sky which would be more CPU limited than GPU doing that, which i did on both the 9.1 and 9.2.

9.1's
2009-02-21 21:12:58 - crysis64
Frames: 12725 - Time: 540623ms - Avg: 23.538 - Min: 0 - Max: 38

9.2's
2009-02-21 21:51:37 - crysis64
Frames: 12604 - Time: 529869ms - Avg: 23.787 - Min: 3 - Max: 41

this was from the movie on the plane at the start to right after you find the body in the tree

the min drops were probly from the auto save checkpoints

System:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs) 1600mhz FSB
Memory: 4094MB DDR2 800mhz
Hard Drive: 3 TB Total, 2x 640GB Raid 0, 2x 320GB Raid 0, 2x 36GB Raptor Raid 0, 1x 320GB internal, 2x 500GB External
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 1GB 4870
Monitor: Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Platinum
Speakers/Headphones: Onkyo 7.1 True-HD/DTS-HD MA
Keyboard: G15
Mouse: Razer Daimondback
Mouse Surface: Razer eXactMat
Operating System: Windows Vista 64bit

i ran a small test in Crysis, im pretty sure i was GPU limited which could be one of the reason i didnt see a real improvement in FPS

but i was in 1920x1080 ALL Very High except Motion Blur at Medium, no AA, no AF.

my avg fps was about the same, but i gained about 3 fps on the max end, which would be from looking at the sky which would be more CPU limited than GPU doing that, which i did on both the 9.1 and 9.2.

9.1's
2009-02-21 21:12:58 - crysis64
Frames: 12725 - Time: 540623ms - Avg: 23.538 - Min: 0 - Max: 38

9.2's
2009-02-21 21:51:37 - crysis64
Frames: 12604 - Time: 529869ms - Avg: 23.787 - Min: 3 - Max: 41

this was from the movie on the plane at the start to right after you find the body in the tree

the min drops were probly from the auto save checkpoints

System:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs) 1600mhz FSB
Memory: 4094MB DDR2 800mhz
Hard Drive: 3 TB Total, 2x 640GB Raid 0, 2x 320GB Raid 0, 2x 36GB Raptor Raid 0, 1x 320GB internal, 2x 500GB External
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 1GB 4870
Monitor: Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Platinum
Speakers/Headphones: Onkyo 7.1 True-HD/DTS-HD MA
Keyboard: G15
Mouse: Razer Daimondback
Mouse Surface: Razer eXactMat
Operating System: Windows Vista 64bit

8.12HF still giving the best performance in Crysis

also, 64bit Binary is fucked up, therefore dont even try on 64bit Crysis...

Upgraded from 8.12 without any problems. So far, so good.
for me, fixed corrupted heat haze issue in "countdown" map, missle silo of COD4. Hard to explain, one silo has a heat haze, not smoke, and it was corrupt, now ok.
Played UT3, GRID, UT2004, and COD4 all good, no issues

Lastly, I wish the Avivo convertor was operational, or even download-able to for us to try. I've got friends using Badaboom teasing me, showing me how nice their program is, and I'm still waiting. Especially for 64 bit vista.

Same crap Error 43 incompatible display device and only one of the GPUs is enabled. Had to go back to 8.11.
Thanks ATI............
Never had problems like this with Nvidia SLI........

Your issues probably doesn't have anything to do with the GFX card. I would suggest you look into the MB instead to solve your issues. :)

You can read up on this error from even older cards and drivers:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=25973

Nvidia chipsets are not famous for their compatibility and stability (I've had a few Nvidia MB's myself too). Thats why people loved that SLI could be run on newer intel chipsets.

I'm running a 4870X2 on Vista 64, 4GB memory, asus P5Q, Q9550 CPU and GFX drivers have been a painless installation from 8.10 to 9.2. No Error 43 and both GPU's are enabled.

Thank Nvidia for your issues, not ATI.

That was a good read. Funny how he was so quick to blame ATi and praise Nvidia and the problem ends up being his nvidia board.

QUOTE=TheBlueChanell;1033752184]That was a good read. Funny how he was so quick to blame ATi and praise Nvidia and the problem ends up being his nvidia board.[/QUOTE]

Uh the problem hasnt turned out to be the Nividia board..............this is still an unknown.:eek:
And Im still praising Nvida for their drivers because I have never had problems with the SLI portion not working with new drivers. I have had Nvidia drivers not work well with certain games and have had to roll back to older drivers.

Sacred2 maxed at 2560x1600(Elite Texture)4xAA is smooth with 9.2.,as good as or better than 8.12/HF for this game

Uh the problem hasnt turned out to be the Nividia board..............this is still an unknown.:eek:
And Im still praising Nvida for their drivers because I have never has problems with the SLI portion not working with new drivers. I have had Nvidia drivers not work well with certain games and have had to roll back to older drivers.

I've never had big problems with either. Nvidia has given me more headaches than ATi. Good luck, to each his own.

I've never had big problems with either. Nvidia has given me more headaches than ATi. Good luck, to each his own.

Im dont consider not being able to use the latest ATI drivers a big problem. Now not being able to use any of the ATI drivers would be a big problem:D Right now the 8.11 drivers work fine. Im sure that ATI will come out with drivers that work with my setup or if I start getting impatient I can try reinstalling Vista which seems to work for many people.

Im not planning on switching back to Nvidia anytime soon and in fact bought another
4870 X2.

Upgraded from 9.1 without a hitch.

EDIT: PC Crashed during first game of Warcraft III...

Just installed it now i can NOT play R6v2 at all every about 3-5mins i get vpu lock up and the first time it happened i noticed that the fan was not spinning very fast. so i used riva tuner to crank it up thinking it was getting warm but it still had a vpu error

3870x2
quad amd
4 gigs of 1066
amd chipset mobo from asus

and it just started this tonight played all last night just fine. rolling back the drivers right now

Just like 8.7 to 9.1, 9.2 is rock stable for me with all the games I play.

I had some random crash, once every 2-3 hours in Dawn of War 2 with ''Ultra'' settings. But 9.2 ''fix'' it. Not a single crash/BSOD/bug since then. :)

8.12hf FTW. No use for me to even bother trying. The only thing not working for me now is multimon with o/c enabled and I know those ati peons didn't fix that in 9.1 or 9.2 so I am not going to push my luck on another driver adventure with them at this point.

Wow, with all the risks of having problems, I think I'll stick with 8.12 for now.

What risks? For every complaint you see, there are hundreds of people getting along just fine with the new drivers. Since the 9.2s integrate the multi-core hotfix, they're worth a shot.

Yeah seriously, I was wondering what he was talking about. This release seems fine to me. It fixed AF not working in BF2 so I'm extremely happy.

Using the 9.2 on a 4870x2 causes the 2nd gpu to run at full 3d clocks all of the time. Launching a 3d app and closing it allows it to return to normal speeds, but that is hardly a fix. I am running 64 bit Vista with 8GB RAM, but it seems to be a common problem. Idle temps for the card are 70c. :eek:

I had to revert back to the 8.12HF drivers. The 9.1's and the 9.2's cause all of my games to crash. I have tried installing the 9.2's on a fresh copy of Vista x64 and I get the same result. After installing the 9.2's on a new installation and testing them I installed Driver Sweeper and cleaned out everything and then installed the 8.12HF drivers and everything was fixed. Weird.

So far 9.1 and 9.2 work fine for me but going back to 8.12HF to test

NM tried 8.12HF and driver wont load code 39, WTF???

9.2 fixed my lack of surround view with 790GX chipset under Vista64. Might also fix hybrid Crossfire, as that was another complaint for many along with Surround View but I don't use that.

x64 Vista with 6gb of 1066 Dominator and 4870 X2, No problems at all with 9.2's.

Back