ATI 7950, blurry text w/HDMI and understan on LCD monitor

urbanriot

Limp Gawd
I recently replaced my trusty old shader unlocked Sapphire 6950 which was hosting two 27" LCD's with an HIS Radeon HD 7950 that was on sale last week at NCIX. Never heard of HIS but I figured I'd take a chance...

Basically, I removed the old video card and plugged the new one in, hooking everything up as it was before - one LCD on DP and the other on HDMI (want sound out of the built-in speakers).

Unfortunately, the text was horribly blurry and the screen was underscanned. I bumped up the slider to what I'd guess is 8% and now it fills the screen but the text is horribly blurry, basically unuseable.

Monitor set to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz., just as it was before.

Anyone have any suggestions before I send this possible hunk of junk back to NCIX?

Last edited:
I think there is an option for ITC, ITX, something like that on the same page. Try playing with the option that enables and disable GPU overscan.
Then, if you disabled the GPU overscan, force the monito to auto-synch/auto size. Also check for a manufacturer monitor driver.

Yeah I had a similar issue with the HDMI off of my HIS 7950. Screwing around with settings in CCC fixed it (I don't remember which setting).

Yea, I tried all those settings and then some, both the GPU scaling and the ITC processing, and neither of them have a positive effect on my view.

No matter what I check and uncheck, small text is unreadable and large text is blurry.

I'm going to try this on a fresh system and see if it's any better.

I have this problem every now and again. Turns out for some reason my computer is outputting at 30 hz. Try checking in "Windows" and not CCC and make sure it is set properly.

May or may not be your issue, but it can't hurt to check, ya know?

EDIT: Did you uninstall and reinstall the drivers yet? Might be contributing to the issue.

I reverted back to previous version drivers which were a few months prior, few versions earlier, and the problem still exists. Tried on a different monitor, same problem. Wasn't under or over scanned but simply... looked like shit.

So I took the card, tried it in a brand new system and a fresh Windows and my monitor, same problem.

Put my old card back in and life is back to normal with proper looking, clear HDMI video.

Sent the card back to NCIX and I'm awaiting their 'testing'. They threatened a 15% restocking fee which chafes me a bit, since I had to pay to have this POS shipped to me and then have to pay to ship it back to them, so lots of extra charges as it is. Ideologically, I'd expect them to refund me based on the fact that they're selling goods of inferior quality.

Back