ATI 5770 crashing/sound looping

Hey all,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to track down the source of my under load system crashes and am asking for a little assistance from other tech savvy people. Here is my scenario:

So far the 2 games I currently play, COD:MW2 and SC2 I get random crashes that either lockup the machine and cause stuck sound looping or I get a video card driver restart causing the game app to crash. The driver restart results in a "your display driver has recovered" message from Win 7. I for the life of me can't figure out why these crashes are occuring. Here's my current troubleshooting list:

- Upgraded catalyst drivers 3 times, currently on latest 10.7, no change
- Full patches for Win 7 64bit
- I had a questionable power supply in the case (GS series BFG) I now have a Corsair 750, no change.
- I have case temps of 40C with 4 120mm fans. Card under load hits 80C. I thought this was the next trouble point seeing as my crashes are only when under heavy load but reading online shows 80C should be no trouble. Card is the Rev 1 cooler is with exhaust to the outside of the case. I manually boosted the fan to 70% but I don't really feel much air flow to the DB noise it puts out.

im still leaning towards a heat issue but Im really at a loss at tthis point. If anyone has seen this before or has any input id greatly appreciate any assistance.

80c is pretty warm, it could be the cause even thought others say it is fine. If the card is faulty and is more reactive to heat then this would cause the issue. Are there any resource conflicts? IRQ's? Any thing like that?

Nope, the card when not under severe load works without issue. I can play movies and TV shows in HD without a problem. Which suggests a heat issue. The games I listed, so far, are the only source of the random crashes.

Some confirmed fixes I found online just now I havent tried yet are:

1: Upping the PCI latency in the BIOS from 64 to 128
2: Creating a manual ATI profile under CCC and changing the minimum clock speeds
3: The obvious, underclocking to see if it cures the situation eliminating a driver problem.

fingers crossed.... Apparently there was a "bad batch" of 5770's that needed to be RMA'd in the late 2009 time frame. I find it hard to believe my would be affected by the same deal but an RMA might be required. We'll see.

Nope, the card when not under severe load works without issue. I can play movies and TV shows in HD without a problem. Which suggests a heat issue. The games I listed, so far, are the only source of the random crashes.

Some confirmed fixes I found online just now I havent tried yet are:

1: Upping the PCI latency in the BIOS from 64 to 128
2: Creating a manual ATI profile under CCC and changing the minimum clock speeds
3: The obvious, underclocking to see if it cures the situation eliminating a driver problem.

fingers crossed.... Apparently there was a "bad batch" of 5770's that needed to be RMA'd in the late 2009 time frame. I find it hard to believe my would be affected by the same deal but an RMA might be required. We'll see.

dude ur NOT supposed to set ur PCI lat above 100 lol ur guna end up frying ur card or that PCI slot lol

isnt that the same as PCI bus speed? or is that sumthing completely different? if not lol im sorry haha

Back