ati 5770 -> 6850 worth it?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
friend of mine wants to get rid of his 6850 for $60 (CAN).....seriously thinking about it, just wanted to know what everyone thinks. i have googled some reviews comparing to a 5770 and although its significantly faster its not a massive gain.

i also want to watercool with a swiftech MCW60 block...from what i can see it'll fit like anything else? does anyone know if these cards have the option for voltage increase via software? from what i understand the 6850 will OC well....unlike the 5770 which gets a lot of nothing without artifacting.

anything else i should know/consider? and finally, what would a 5770 go for these days? i was thinking $40 but is that too high?

what can you sell your 5770 for? What resolution are you gaming at now and what games do you play? Do you already have the block or does it come with it? If you want buy a block which normally only works for one card I would it would not seem worth it with that card. Does your rig already have a pump and reservoir?

I wouldn't spend too much time/money trying to WC that card. Just sell your 5770 for $50, buy the other one for $60 and enjoy your $10 upgrade.

already got the WC setup so its a no-brainer there. currently have the MCW60 on the 5770. took a bit of work, but got it on there. different mount holes and all.

i have loads of overhead for this WC system too. good strong pump, reservoir, tripple 120mm rad. i originally built it to cool a heavily OC'd opteron 165 and two 7900 GTO's (nvidia).

resolution i'm playing at is 1920x1200. i don't care about having the fastest experience, really just trying to stretch this system a bit further. i have a habit of running them into the ground hard.

I've been checking the FS thread, and a number of people are trying to unload their 5770s for $50. I haven't been able to figure out if any have sold. I'm interested because I want to sell mine, and would be overjoyed to get $50 for it. It's a really weak card stock, and I tried to OC and got basically nothing w/o artifacting.

hey if you've already got the wc gear go for it. An upgrade is an upgrade.

I've been checking the FS thread, and a number of people are trying to unload their 5770s for $50. I haven't been able to figure out if any have sold. I'm interested because I want to sell mine, and would be overjoyed to get $50 for it. It's a really weak card stock, and I tried to OC and got basically nothing w/o artifacting.

It's either $50 gets a 5770 or $50 gets a new 6570. I would guess the 5770 walks all over the 6570, so I say list it at $50 OBO and see what happens. Either way, a 6850 is an upgrade and after mitigating the cost, you'll have a cheap but effective upgrade.

didnt think i could get that much for a 5770....wow talk about a cheap upgrade!

this will be twice i've done one like this, went from a c2d e4500 to e8400 for a final cost of $15 :p

thanks for the help guys

didnt think i could get that much for a 5770....wow talk about a cheap upgrade!

this will be twice i've done one like this, went from a c2d e4500 to e8400 for a final cost of $15 :p

thanks for the help guys

Who'd a thunk it, right? :D I myself will probably join you in snagging a 6850 for the LAN box. Good times.

6850 over 5770 is a massive gain, and this is coming from someone who currently owns both (amongst other cards, like 2x 7970).

I'd say it's a good 40% better, if not more drastic. 6850 makes many games playable that are not with 5770, which is important as the cards get older. 6850 = best bang for buck of 6000series by far.

If u can sell the 5770 for a decent price than do it. The 6850 is a pretty good card for $60.

6850 over 5770 is a massive gain, and this is coming from someone who currently owns both (amongst other cards, like 2x 7970).

I'd say it's a good 40% better, if not more drastic. 6850 makes many games playable that are not with 5770, which is important as the cards get older. 6850 = best bang for buck of 6000series by far.

I agree with Xinmosni, the upgrade would be Massive gain. The memory bandwith of the 6850 is double the 5770.

Back