ATi 4870 & WotLK

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
with the new world of warcraft coming out they DID update that grafx sum. i've been playing on the ptr server and i can not max out my settings anymore. with tbc & vsync on it idled @ 60 fps on 1920x1200. i was fine with that. copied my toon to the ptr and max'd the settings and now i get 27 fps. they've up'd the shadows and all sorts of stuff.

does the 4870x1 provide that 60 fps cap i'm looking for?

on the same note. has ati implemented a fan fix inside it's drivers yet? if not and i use the fan fix (do i really need too?) do i have to use the fix to up the fan speed on every reboot?

thx

I don't play WoW at 1920x1200 but at 1680x1050 maxed out with 8xAA I have never dipped below 60fps. It'll be interesting to see how WOTLK runs, but I'm sure it'll be better by the official/final release next month.

No they have not added fan speed adjustment to CCC, and that seems to put the fan at a specific setting, not auto and dynamic. I've advertised before: use rivatuner to auto control your fan speed; don't know why people still bother with CCC profiles anymore after the new riva came out.

use rivatuner to auto control your fan speed...

do i have to adjust the fan speed ALL the time? if so, that's not what i'm looking for. seems silly to have to give my truck an oil change EVERY time i get in it.

Try to find the Asus model 4870 with a good price as the fan speed tool that comes with it is simple to use and is functional in vista 64 even.

Running Crossfire 4870's, and am in WoTLK beta. Running my set up at 1920x1080 with 8xAA forced through the CP, it stays maxed out all the time even through the final DK fight, the only time it dips is when I look over the balcony when you first log into your DK character for some odd reason (theres no visual rendering going on other then a banister and arthas).

So yea I fully believe a single will do just fine you.

with the new world of warcraft coming out they DID update that grafx sum. i've been playing on the ptr server and i can not max out my settings anymore. with tbc & vsync on it idled @ 60 fps on 1920x1200. i was fine with that. copied my toon to the ptr and max'd the settings and now i get 27 fps. they've up'd the shadows and all sorts of stuff.

does the 4870x1 provide that 60 fps cap i'm looking for?

on the same note. has ati implemented a fan fix inside it's drivers yet? if not and i use the fan fix (do i really need too?) do i have to use the fix to up the fan speed on every reboot?

thx

heh I thought I was CPU limited with a 4400+ X2 & 4870 512, but since you have an E8400, I guess it's the WoW graphics engine.

I played at 1680x1050 and got around the same frames as you. The only settings that made a noticeable difference in framerate was changing the detail setting of dynamic shadows and the draw distance.

this was actually playing WotLK too

regarding the fan settings, there are leaked 8.10 beta drivers out that have CCC fan settings

you can also edit in the fan settings yourself with the current 8.9 drivers and they should auto boot up at those settings as long as you save and log off with the fan fix profile

regarding the fan settings, there are leaked 8.10 beta drivers out that have CCC fan settings

you can also edit in the fan settings yourself with the current 8.9 drivers and they should auto boot up at those settings as long as you save and log off with the fan fix profile

It's nice to hear that there may be an official "fix" embedded in the GUI of the CCC for people that don't want to muck around editting config files.

Along with the new Rivatuner, ATI Tray Tools also works great, offering overclocking/fan speed adjustments that are simple to assign to a "load at startup" profile.

I'm pretty sure its just bad engine coding. Hopefully they will fix it.
With the rig in my sig, I usually stay right at 60 (vsync on) on my 19" 1440x900 with everything absolutely maxed. On the ptr, I was hovering around 40fps and dropped in the upper 20s in high populated areas.

I really hope that this is because of the server being overpopulated and its being taxed on bandwidth/power. Either way, I hope they optimize it a little more.

Dude just use Rivatuner 2.10 problem solved.. it auto adjusts your fan speed at startup, why don't more people know about this already?

CCC 8.10beta drivers do as well, and they're a lot more stable than 8.8 or 8.9 for me atleast.

BTW, what kind of fps do you guys get with your 4870s with Vsync off? I've never used Vsync in wow because the screen tearing doesn't bother me.

with Dynamic Shadows implemented in WotLK frame hits all over the place. don't get me wrong. the shadows look absolutely beautiful, but hitting my rig for 20-30 frames once enabled isn't that attractive at all.

still waiting for sum1 with one 4870 to let me have sum sort of idea on what to expect performance wise. my current card is only 8 months old and if there won't be much of an improvement i mite as well wait for next gen (whenever that is). not keeping up with performance of the two cards, but i figured i'd go ATi for the "better tech" on the card opposed to the larger ram on the nVidia cards. maybe i just need to get a gtx260 cuz of the larger onboard ram for my higher resolution?

Looks like im going to have get a new card before WOTLK comes out...Im still using a 7950GX2. running at 1680x1050 I usually hover around 40-50fps with everything maxed. Although in Shatt that drops to around 20fps. I am also using a 4400x2. I guess a 4850 or 4870 couldnt hurt at this point, the 7950 has done as much as it can do.

Something is wrong after a recent patch that they need to fix. I was running 60fps (vsync, 1920x1200 4aa, all settings maxxed) before a recent patch. After the patch using the same settings my FPS were around 13-14. Slidding the shadow bar to low gave me back the 60fps basically.

But shadows were maxxed before so obviously they messed something up.

I cannot really comment about how well a single 4870 will handle WotLK, but my CF 3870's have shown no signs of bowing to it. On live I run full settings at 1680x1050, always at cap (if i put vsync on). Also, I force 16x Anisotropic filtering in drivers, use in-game 4xAA, and I use the command to get increased graphic models/distance in wow than the normal sliders allow.

On beta I have flown all over Northrend, and still have not had any hard hitting slowdowns. Only time I actually did have it happen was when EVERYONE in beta was clicking the damn NPC to get the free mounts when they were first put in. As far as lagging near the DK starting zone, I believe that was because of the new "phasing" technology (or whatever they were calling it) they used for that area. I'm not sure if the computer renders it all even if its "hidden" from player perspective. Might be something to look into.

When wow first came out 1gb of ram was needed.....now its 2gb for BC.... I would not be surpised if WotLK pushed that to 3gb. WoW was always more memory intensive than graphics or computation.

Something is wrong after a recent patch that they need to fix. I was running 60fps (vsync, 1920x1200 4aa, all settings maxxed) before a recent patch. After the patch using the same settings my FPS were around 13-14. Slidding the shadow bar to low gave me back the 60fps basically.

But shadows were maxxed before so obviously they messed something up.

it's nothing they need to "fix". they implemented dynamic shadows. that's teh reason for ur frame hit. dynamic shadows WILL drop ur frames, but according to blizzard it's having performance issues atm and the frame loss shouldn't be as drastic cum WotLK.

the previous link provided by myself shows that most if not ALL vcards are having this issue. this puts me @ the waiting game in purchasing a new vcard.

do i have to adjust the fan speed ALL the time? if so, that's not what i'm looking for. seems silly to have to give my truck an oil change EVERY time i get in it.

Auto means dynamic speed control, riva fan settings load on start up and forget about it. Quiet and low fan on idle, higer speed on load just like how "stock" works but with more power at higher temps.

CCC profiles is set fan speed and will not change until you load/edit another profile.

The dynamic shadows were in effect before when I was on Test and had 0 issues. They clearly did something either to the shadows or what not to mess everyone up.

Just built a budget system for any friends that come over to play wow at my place. It has a e7200 at 3.6Ghz, and a 4850 mildly overclocked. In the beta I get 60 constant except for the occasional dip into the high 50's. This is with all settings maxed, 1680x1050 2x multisampling, and v-sync on.
On the other side of the spectrum my main system with a gtx 280 runs at 1920x1200, everything maxed and I get constant 60fps.

it's nothing they need to "fix". they implemented dynamic shadows. that's teh reason for ur frame hit. dynamic shadows WILL drop ur frames, but according to blizzard it's having performance issues atm and the frame loss shouldn't be as drastic cum WotLK.

the previous link provided by myself shows that most if not ALL vcards are having this issue. this puts me @ the waiting game in purchasing a new vcard.

No, there was a bug introduced in a beta build that made your frames drop to <20 if you enabled any sort of dynamic shadows. Right now it's pretty smooth.

I noticed, though, if I'm playing in Windows Mode now, powerplay won't kick in and i'm stuck playing with 2D speeds. Had to switch to Full-Screen to get high framerates again.

Back