Athlon X2 6400+ overheating at stock settings

Talon

2[H]4U
I recently upgraded to a X2 6400+ and have been experiencing overheating issues while running at stock speed.

My CPU cooler is a Zalman CNPS7500-Cu mounted with AS3, and I've got two 80mm intake fans pulling air in from the front of the case, and 80mm exhaust fans in the rear and top.

Randomly I'll experience computer crashes while running under load with the BIOS reporting the CPU at up to 75c and motherboard up to 45c.

I rerouted all of the PSU and drive cabling behind the motherboard tray to make sure that they weren't interfering with airflow, which seemed to help, but the system still crashed with the same temps reported.

Full system specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ with Zalman CNPS7500-Cu
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
4 Gigabytes Corsair RAM
BFG 8800GTS
2 SATA HDDs
2 IDE Optical Drives
2 80mm intake and two 80mm exhaust fans.

everything is mounted in a Coolermaster ATC-200 with a Corsair 620HX PSU.

Does the CPNS7500 just suck or are my case fans just not able to move enough air to exhaust the heat being thrown off by the CPU?

What would be good candidates for replacing the CPU cooler and fans?

You could always try re-seating the HSF and re-applying the thermal paste. If you used too much of it, it can cause issues so I wouldn't count that out just yet. Also, AS has a curing time in order for it to achieve the best performance so if you want you can wait it out for a bit to see if it drops.

You could always try re-seating the HSF and re-applying the thermal paste. If you used too much of it, it can cause issues so I wouldn't count that out just yet. Also, AS has a curing time in order for it to achieve the best performance so if you want you can wait it out for a bit to see if it drops.

I just did a couple of days ago, using the least amount of AS3 possible to cover the core. Even if it does take time to cure, I really don't think I would need to wait for it to be in the best possible state for it to be stable at stock speeds.

Back