Athlon x2 4200 temps/CPU fan speeds

GuruX

Gawd
Now that I've got my temperature monitoring needs met, I've decided to start looking at what my newly-purchased system can do.

I currently have the AMD Athlon x2 4200+ with its stock cooler, and am using an ABit AT8 mainboard (the Radeon Xpress 3200-chipset board).

Idling I've seen my temps around 40 degrees C, and so far running dual prime for about an hour, I've got temps of 55 degrees (it's hovering between 52-55 degrees). The CPU fan is running at 2700rpm.

Being that my last desktop I owned was an Intel P4 1.6GHz with no fan speed controls in the BIOS or anything like that, are these temps good, and is there anything I can do to improve them? (short of buying a new CPU cooler, which I don't want to do just yet).

You can buy a cooler but the truth is with the average BIOS your CPU is overvolted a bit and it changes from bios to BIOS.

You can reduce the vcore little bit at a time and run prime until you find the perfect voltage, this way you might not even have to buy a HSF which is not a bad idiea but its your choice. I had a separate one with every CPU i have bought. Its your call.

Reducing your Vcore and finding the perfect Voltage itseld will make a lot of difference.

reducing vcore makes quite a difference as will a better hsf but the case has to have sufficient air flow for it to cool properly....

Back