Athlon MP upgrades

Phezult

n00b
Ok, currently I have a dual athlon 1800, using the Tyan 2462 mobo. I bought this setup a long time ago from Alienware, before they started mass marketing. Since I am using Photoshop CS a lot, I upgraded to 1.5bg of ram. Now, I would like to upgrade the cpus. The new bios version supports up to the 2800, which is good, as that is the only mp chip currently being made.

The question: What fan and heatsink would work well with this board with 2800s? There isn't a whole lot of space around the sockets, primarily due to the capacitors. I would prefer copper heatsinks, and preferably a reasonably quiet fan. I've spent half the day looking, and so far I'm not really all that impressed. Right now the 1800s have a standard aluminum hs with a basic coolermaster fan, which is rather loud.

thanks,
J

Because the capacitors are infront of and behind the Socket 462 plastic clips, most heatsinks should fit. Think of it like this - the heatsink must have a dimension on the clip side that lets the clip get on, right? Although I think a few huge heatsinks probably have a weird design that this doesn't apply to.

FYI, the size of the socket-462 on the mobo is 65.5mm x 55.9mm. The heatsink I use on my Gigabyte board that has nearby capacitors measures 74.5mm x 74.5mm and it fits (Vantec Aeroflow). Also, AMD recommends a heatsink be at most 63mm x 80mm. Mix and match the information as you will. (Length x Width is consistant to the best of my knowledge in above measurements)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

Another possibility is to modify larger heatsinks to fit. The post type heatsink that Swiftech and Alpha make allows for better airflow, but it is a type that generally won't fit dual CPU boards. I modded a pair of Swiftech 462s to fit my MSI K7D Master L. They work great. (Low to Mid 40s load temps with the MP2000+ ...which isn't at all bad for Palomino core processors in a cramped CM 201C case.)

Heatsinks.jpg

when i had dual MP's i upgraded from the stock to the zalman 6000's and they were alot quiter they also droped the load temps from 55c to ~44c! i did have to mod them just a little bit, as seen below.

P1010005.JPG

but other then that they fit fine, and they cool great:D. and they are more then ehough to cool down your 2800+.

I wish I had a digital camera... That helps a lot, though one of my other concerns is that the current heatsinks come rather close the the video card in the agp slot. I really don't get that. However, the base area and the examples of modding are great, thanks!

In terms of the .pdf, I think I've seen that before, but had forgotten about it. Definitely a good resource. I particularly like the part where AMD instructs you on how in install an heat probe into the heatsink itself! That's a dedication to temerature monitoring!

J

Pduan87,

You are using a Zalman NB HS. And what is your CPU's temp ? I am about to switch to a SLK 900 A as well as the NB HS. But the mod for ND HS is quite tedious tough.

Akcm

The mod isnt that bad. Just pop out the little springs, but remember to save em. If you lose em, the ones that come with the Zalman won't work. I get temps of around 55 to 65 on a moderately hot day.

I was a little concerned initally, since there wasn't a whole lot of space between the one heatsink and the video card. However, from the pictures posted, I think the sinks on now are a bit oversized; so something like an slk900 shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to find a way to justify the expense...

Thanks guys, this has been a great help!

J

Back