athlon 64 motherboard

rayg

Limp Gawd
What would you recommend for an athlon 64 motherboard? I plan on overclocking, and plan on using a 3200+. How much better is the nforce 250 supposed to be than the 150? When is the nforce 250 supposed to come out? Thanks in advance

I'm enjoying the Chaintech ZNF-250. It has a working PCI lock and downward adjustable multis.

Using 1 week 14 Newcastle 3000, with Hyperx 4000, I'm stable at 2.5 Ghz on air (silent Boost). With 2 Raptors in Raid, I get over 20,000 PCmark02s, and over 21,000 3dmark01. Sandra CPU scores are higher than a FX53.

Not bad for a $325 upgrade.

There are a lot of new Nforce 250 boards out there, but I feel like this is the best budget option.

I have the 150 version of this board. The only thing that is added is the benifits of the 250 chipset (fireewall, lockable PCI, ect) But definitly a good board

The nForce 3 250 series has already been released for the Socket 754 and 940 platforms. The basic advantages over the 150 series are:

improved performance by 1-5% on many benchmarks
flexible RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 with parallel or Serial ATA, or both
expanded support for Serial ATA devices, offering up to 4 native Serial ATA-150 ports
an integrated firewall and other associated network security features
1000 Mbps Ethernet with the 250Gb derivative, isolated from the PCI bus for maximum performance
lockable AGP and PCI clocks for more successful overclocks

It's definitely worthwhile, even if you don't plan to overclock. Also worth serious consideration are the VIA K8T800 Pro and the SiS 755FX chipsets.

xonik said:
The nForce 3 250 series has already been released for the Socket 754 and 940 platforms.
Yes, but nobody has made it to market with a board designed around the 250gb chipset, which will be the flagship nForce3 product. MSI should be the first, with their new K8N Neo. The other nForce3 250 products which are available now don't include all of the features of the 250GB, and most of them are designs from the nForce3 150 boards being modified to take the 250 series chipset.

I was giving him a general background so that he can decide whether or not to consider this option. I don't seem to recall him specifically asking about the 250Gb, either...

xonik said:
I was giving him a general background so that he can decide whether or not to consider this option. I don't seem to recall him specifically asking about the 250Gb, either...
Didn't mean to step on toes, just pointing out that the boards that bare the 250 moniker right now don't really live up to the potential of the line. When the 250Gb does hit the street sometime in June, it should be the board of choice for A64 systems.

The AOpen AK89 MAX which has the chipset of nVidea 150 has a working APG/PCI lock. it's at new egg right now, I am waiting for mine. my last one, fried videocards. lol, but I sent an RMA, and all should be good soon...

Are you sure? The nForce 3 150 was never known to feature a working PCI/AGP lock.

While I question the accuracy of those results (they didn't use an oscilloscope to measure the PCI/AGP bus frequencies), you can't argue with those results :eek:

They're 36s... Never saw ATTO scores over 100 until this board. BTW, I just transplanted the Silicon Image PCI raid card from xp2500 mobile rig, not using on-board raid yet.

Back