Athlon 64 Heatsink/Fan Question - Who and Where?

Tyklfe

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to purchase an A64 3000+ setup right now, but one thing I can't seem to figure out - Who makes A64 Heatsink/Fans, Who makes the best, and where in the world can I buy it. Searching on newegg has turned up nothing, and I've got my cart full of the other stuff right now just waiting on an answer to this. Thanks Guys (non-gender specific, of course) ;)

Originally posted by monkeysofthebutt
Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu

Thanks for the quick answer - btw, is that what you run in your box, is that the best, is it the only one you know of, do you knw of any others, and do know if the zalman comes with everything I'll need to tie the HSF to the mobo, or do you need extra pieces? Here is the link from Newegg

Thanks,
Kyle

Edit - one more thing - I see that Zalman makes both a CNPS7000-AlCu and a CNPS7000-Cu - the difference being that the 'AlCu' is made of both Aluminum and Copper and the 'Cu' is just made of Copper, so wouldn't the 'Cu' be the better one to buy?

Originally posted by Tyklfe
Thanks for the quick answer - btw, is that what you run in your box, is that the best, is it the only one you know of, do you knw of any others, and do know if the zalman comes with everything I'll need to tie the HSF to the mobo, or do you need extra pieces? Here is the link from Newegg

Thanks,
Kyle

Edit - one more thing - I see that Zalman makes both a CNPS7000-AlCu and a CNPS7000-Cu - the difference being that the 'AlCu' is made of both Aluminum and Copper and the 'Cu' is just made of Copper, so wouldn't the 'Cu' be the better one to buy?

Yes thats what i run, i doubt its the best, my processor is quire hot durring load, but it is very quiet, and i have very low cfm fans so that could b a big part of the high temps. Yes it comes with everything to mount it. The CU is more expensive but cools usually in most tests within 1 degree of teh ALCU. Also the ALCU is quite a bit lighter, which is much safer

I chose the ThermalTake Venus 7+ which I picked up from NewEgg for around $30. It's not "the best" either, but it quite simply satisfies my needs. It is quiet and effective. My CPU generally runs at 34 to 37 degrees (C) which I find quite acceptable. However, do you plan on overclocking? I don't know if the Athlon 64 gets a lot hotter with overclocking... hopefully some Athlon 64 overclockers will give you some advice.

I know you're looking for a heatsink but if you want to take the watercooling plunge i'd suggest the polarflo waterblock w/ the newly released A64 Mounting Clip

http://www.polarflo.com/

Thermalright told me via email they will only released their SP-98 heatsink in february/march

I'm using a Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 Cooler and my 3000+ is at 35 degrees C with case closed never seen it above 39 and its only 21 dba not sure what the zalman is but i like my cooler

Nothin wrong with the stock cooler. You can't really overclock these things too much anyway so why would you need an aftermarket cooler unless you want quietness.

Thanks for all the good answers guys

Originally posted by Klaasman
Nothin wrong with the stock cooler. You can't really overclock these things too much anyway so why would you need an aftermarket cooler unless you want quietness.

Because OEM processors do not come with a HSF I have to purchase one, so I'm trying to find out who makes the best.

Just buy the retail version of the chip. It's a new chip architecture and things could go wrong so a 3 year warranty is a must. I too tried to find an after market cooler until I realized that that they make the chip the same price as retail. I almost always buy retail anyways just for the warranty. :)

Originally posted by HardAMD
I'm using a Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 Cooler and my 3000+ is at 35 degrees C with case closed never seen it above 39 and its only 21 dba not sure what the zalman is but i like my cooler

Another vote for the Thermaltake Silent Boost K8. Also an easy install.

Back