Athlon 64 4000+ VS. Athlon 64 FX-53

ralfyboy

Limp Gawd
i read the review on the site, but didnt get much out of it. i want to upgrade from a Socket 754 64 3400+ w/ 1MB L2 Cache, and i cant decide which to get.

practically same performance, but the 4000+ is $85 cheaper over at newegg. both 939, which means both support dual channel. both have 1MB L2 Cache. both are clocked at 2400MHz. i'm lost.

is there something i'm missing?

Don't forget, you also get the spiffy FX logo on your box if you buy an FX, and CPU-Z will show the FX logo on the ID screen. Definitly worth the extra bucks. :p

Lol I agree haha

Jonsey said:
Don't forget, you also get the spiffy FX logo on your box if you buy an FX, and CPU-Z will show the FX logo on the ID screen. Definitly worth the extra bucks. :p

I would say unless you are chasing benchmarks that is a worthless upgrade. A 3400+ is not going to be dramatically slower than either of the chips you listed. If you are having problems with games, get a better video card maybe.

Don't be an idiot and upgrade your 3400+. Trust me it is not worth the money or the hassle to get a FX-53 or 4000+ when you already have a nice 3400+

lordsegan said:
I would say unless you are chasing benchmarks that is a worthless upgrade. A 3400+ is not going to be dramatically slower than either of the chips you listed. If you are having problems with games, get a better video card maybe.
I agree, however S939 is a lot more future proof, so that's something to keep in mind
of course that doesn't mean you have to get the most expensive S939 chip - I'd get a 90nm 3200+

i mainly wanted to upgrade for dual channel.....

i was actually considering going to the 939 3200, but it aint worth downgrading just for dual channel

i'm stuck!

Dual channel does nearly nothing for you on the AMD platform. Yet again, the market-droids have infected the masses. 3-5% gain worth hundreds of dollars? Not for me. waste your money. Have a blast. Get an FX55 while you're at it, AMD could use the money.

Total waste of money.... just overclock your 3400 and have nearly identical performance.

Shane said:
Total waste of money.... just overclock your 3400 and have nearly identical performance.
agreed, that 3400+ should make it to 2.5ghz easily, which is technically over the spec of a 3700+ ;)

As mentioned, this ain't much of an upgrade.

Save your cash for now. Good things are on the horizon.

Steel Chicken said:
yeah i own AMD stock, please buy 5

I'd say that's pretty stupid right now lol you might wanna put a sell order on that all I see is red for Amd and the market in the next couple of weeks. What did you buy it @ ?

czech09 said:
I'd say that's pretty stupid right now lol you might wanna put a sell order on that all I see is red for Amd and the market in the next couple of weeks. What did you buy it @ ?

i didnot say I JUST bought some only that I owned some. I bought it back early 2000, before the dot.bomb. Im a long term investor, not one of those "Day traders'" that lose their ass everytime the market burps.

whos stupid now?!

:D

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Actually it is, especially if you game at anything above 800x600 :p

Games like HL2 will and do take advantage of the xtra power and now that the HL2 engine is out im sure there will be more games to come that use it. What if he's a person thats into benching and stuff like that. Hmm pretty sure the FX will win there to and im pretty sure that from all the reviews that I have read and seen online and in magazines that the FX still will out pace the 3400 at media and encoding and decoding and everyday use. The 754 Platform is on its way out (other then sempron) and 939 will be it for atleast 2 more years(max). Bench a 754 3400 overclocked to 2.4 to 2.5 ghz on actual bench programs and games then run the same set up with the FX oced to its max and I will bet the FX smokes it. ;)

Captin,

You are basically wrong. I suggest you read again. If you are talking abot 1-5% marginal differences then yes obviously the FX is faster. But for real life gaming an overclocked 3400+ is MORE than enough for almost any game/config currently out.

Captin Insano said:
Games like HL2 will and do take advantage of the xtra power and now that the HL2 engine is out im sure there will be more games to come that use it. What if he's a person thats into benching and stuff like that. Hmm pretty sure the FX will win there to and im pretty sure that from all the reviews that I have read and seen online and in magazines that the FX still will out pace the 3400 at media and encoding and decoding and everyday use. The 754 Platform is on its way out (other then sempron) and 939 will be it for atleast 2 more years(max). Bench a 754 3400 overclocked to 2.4 to 2.5 ghz on actual bench programs and games then run the same set up with the FX oced to its max and I will bet the FX smokes it. ;)

LOL, well if youre "smart" enough to pay 1000$ to see your bench numbers go up, then be my guest. In real life gaming, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between an OCed 3400 and a FX53/FX55 @ 1600x1200. Half Life 2 is probably the easiest game to run, and it can run on almost any system. But seriously, if you game above 800x600, you just cant tell the difference.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
LOL, well if youre "smart" enough to pay 1000$ to see your bench numbers go up, then be my guest. In real life gaming, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between an OCed 3400 and a FX53/FX55 @ 1600x1200. Half Life 2 is probably the easiest game to run, and it can run on almost any system. But seriously, if you game above 800x600, you just cant tell the difference.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Never paid a $1000 for either of my FX chips. But to even get a 3400 to the FX level of ALL Around performance Not just gaming as stated in my eairlyer post. It would cost a fair amount of money to normally oc that high. By that time you could have very easily spent it on one chip and run at stock speed and be that fast. And for some in the competitive spirit of benchmarking sometimes It only takes 1 to 5 % to be on top. For some it is worth it. You wont find a 3400 clocked at 3.5ghz. and getting bandwidth of 8 gbs. Only the Fx can do that now and thats a fair shade more then 5 percent stronger performance then a 3400 maxed out will ever do. People do more then games and im sure the FX is much better at those things as well. If it werent I guess so many people wouldnt be owning FX's or wanting to buy them. You have your opinon and I have mine. I do more then just game with my machine. I got the top of the line cpu for top end performance. Im not doubting or knocking the possibillity of what the lower cpus can do. But i do know that top end stuff is and will always be faster and more capable to do more and normally do it better. Value is in the eye of the beholder and I value what I went with. Im not rich just a working stiff like anyone else. I saved hard and long to get what Ive got and i dont think by any means that makes me not smart. I recomend the origanal poster of this thread to do the same for himself. If ya want an FX get one if not get something else. Everones experince and beliefs will be different.

Captain Insano is right

To get to the insane OC:s is gonne cost U either way...
New PSU
New Memory
New Cooling (Vapo or Mach 1 any1???)

Now some of these costs are reusable. I bought a Vapo PE for Athlona couple of yrs back spending (in todays value) over 1000 USD on it and I recently bought the new 939 Socket kit so I can Use it in the future as well. So that isn't a sunk cost. On the other hand I bought som ToTL CAS2 PC133 back with my T-bird which was a sunk cost since 1,5 month after that it was all about DDR. It aint cheap either way to get the highest performance performance the question is about Marginal costs.

Now U allready have a 3400+ on Air with the DFI MoBo U should be able to get 2.6-2,8 depending on CPU just by raising the FSB a little.

Now Ure concidering spending about 1000 USD (about the cost of sub zero cooling btw) on (high numbers)

5% on th DC
U allready have 1 MB cahce
3 GHz on air should give.. 10%

So for 15% performace and a little better upgradepath Ure looking at spending around 1000USD (minimum a new MoBo and CPU)

If U can afford that and think its worth it - more power to U - if not wait half a year and get the new Venice core with one of the DFI SLIs and its probably gonne cost U the same and Ull have a VERY good secondary thrown in at the bargain (the s754)...

Wow, Frallan, maybe I am tired...hel its 6AM I know its tired, but your last pst has me totally lost. It's like your pulling numbers out of the air. Read it twice, still not sure I understand. Back to bed with me :p

To the poster, are you ever overclocking savvy, are you comfortabe with it and know what your doing? All these paople suggest you do it, BUT be careful if you don't know whats going on. Also, if you are into OCing, for $340 you can have a s939 3200+ and a Neo2 from monarchcomputer, and get a Venus 12+ from newegg for another $40, and you should be able to get 2.5-2.6ghz. See sig, I can get 260x10 1:1 prime all day all night, on a Venus12+ at 2000rpm fan speed, I get about 30c idle (but my CPU is never idle, fold on!) and about 40C under load. Thats certainly cool enough to keep my happy.

Nope Viper...

You could probably stay exactly where U are since yes... I did pull the number out of the air (and this thread) to serve as examples. The number are not unatainable nor ulikely but it would surprise me if they were true except regarding the historic price of my Vapo that price is historical and correct.

As for the Overclocks and the gains they are quick number pulled out of the air (no benchmark research just alot of reading over the last year). That is also why there are no sources mentioned, there are none.

But the summary is that a FX-55 + New Mobo is going to cost about 1000USD and that the 3400 with a small OC shouldn't lag more then 15% behind. Now please feel free to correct me and I will edit the previous post to reflect any seriously meant additions/subtractions.

as a owner of both a 3400 cg clawhammer and a dfi board you would be one of a very small percentage to hit 2.6 with that combo. 2.4 to 2.5 on air is more realistic.2.6 to 2.8 MAYBE on a mobile or dtr. i know i removed my heatspreader. currently going to water to push it higher.

Frallan said:
Nope Viper...

You could probably stay exactly where U are since yes... I did pull the number out of the air (and this thread) to serve as examples. The number are not unatainable nor ulikely but it would surprise me if they were true except regarding the historic price of my Vapo that price is historical and correct.

As for the Overclocks and the gains they are quick number pulled out of the air (no benchmark research just alot of reading over the last year). That is also why there are no sources mentioned, there are none.

But the summary is that a FX-55 + New Mobo is going to cost about 1000USD and that the 3400 with a small OC shouldn't lag more then 15% behind. Now please feel free to correct me and I will edit the previous post to reflect any seriously meant additions/subtractions.

That was a bit better ;) , and I coudltn agree more. Even at stock 3400+ speeds, the FX-55 gains will be minimal. All it woudl be is bragging rights, and anyone who knows there not worth the price wont be impressed. You probably wouldnt notice it in games, which would leave you with the feeling like you watsted your money, and nobody likes that.

What gets me is, people say "buy a slower processor and overclock it" all the time, as if you can't overclock the FX processor, too. :rolleyes:

In most applications the 3800+ is too close to the 4000+ and even FX-55 to bother with. However, overclocking an FX processor is a no-brainer... just add cooling and raise multiplier. Getting really good overclocks from slower processors with upwardly locked multipliers is a gamble, even with uber RAM... some of them simply go nowhere. Meanwhile, worst case overclocking scenario the FX is never less than what it is.

All that said, it is very true that in games, video card power is more important that processing power, as long as your CPU isn't totally weak. Other applications may be a different story.

CastleBravo said:
What gets me is, people say "buy a slower processor and overclock it" all the time, as if you can't overclock the FX processor, too. :rolleyes:

In most applications the 3800+ is too close to the 4000+ and even FX-55 to bother with. However, overclocking an FX processor is a no-brainer... just add cooling and raise multiplier. Getting really good overclocks from slower processors with upwardly locked multipliers is a gamble, even with uber RAM... some of them simply go nowhere. Meanwhile, worst case overclocking scenario the FX is never less than what it is.

All that said, it is very true that in games, video card power is more important that processing power, as long as your CPU isn't totally weak. Other applications may be a different story.

Will it be better for some apps, hell yea. I certainly wouldnt mind ripping mp3s and dvds on an FX-55, but, IMO, that isnt worth $1000. If that is your profession, or something you do every day, then you might benifit. Even then though, I don't think it would be worth it. Others may, and I am not necessary saying purchasing an FX-55 is a bad thing, as they are a great processor, but I am saying dont do it just to do it. If you really need it, and can benifit from it in a field other than gaming, go for it, just dont get it if your trying to snake a few more fps.

Ok guys..as a moder,machinest, and owner of a few fast rigs ill say this, I have a few friends with normal 3500+ chips in s939 all of them are oc'd and my boy Cpt Insano has the fx55..now due to a new core with better maping and better silica the chip will blow even a 2.6ghz 3500 NON FX out of the damn water..i have proved this b4.. :eek: ...now if u talk 1~2% gain (witch is not what the real gain is) Say your in HL2 and im on a fx-55 and your on a plain jane 3500+ oc'd..now u match the systems down to the T cept for the chip (duhh) both running same speeds... 2.6 and 2.6..the fx-55 will walk the dog on a normal 3500+ the 3500+ IMHO is the AMD celeron..its not the best they could do and its the entry level chip for the s939 class witch is awsome BUT its no where near a fx-55..not even close! vapo the 3500+ and u have it at 3ghz then yes u will win the race..but 2.6 and 2.6..the fx will own your ass every time...im talking real world and gaming...go read a review on the fx 55 core and the 3500+ core..AMD did there home work on it and made it better with manyupgrades in the way of switching silica (transistors)..u can argue all u want but it wont get u any where..oc the piss out of your chip and bench it..then go ask Cpt Insano to post some at stock Benches.. it will be like putting a glass of water on a forest fire..not even gona cut it...Now my rig is FAST im talking insanely fast..4.4ghz on my water with 1.55v core fast...and i cant match Cpt Insano's chip...and whne i get his Phase change system finished then yall can hang it up..cause he will crush my p4 every time! Im not flaming,im not trying to be a dick head..thats just not who i am..but to say a 3500+ is near a fx-55 is like saying your 2.4 celeron is matching my p4e...the math just dont add up...There is some great post on here about the core desighn of the fx-55's and the 3500+'s ..go read a few then see the error of your way..every one makes Nub mistakes...but if your gona make one atleast read up on the tech details..nuff said i got to get back to sleeping...ohh and im serouis..oc the pis out of your chips and pick any bench mark or game u want to test..ill make sure Cpt Insano runs the test ya want him to..at any speed also..

Peace BitchBreaker :cool:

Higher FSB with a lower mult is better than a lower FSB with a high mult. the only difference is the L2 Cache size which is 1MB for the FX chip. now some games, like D3 like better caches. same goes for some other (but not all) apps. it really depends on what software you use. but the difference will not be a great as the savings in cost ~600$

OblivionLord said:
Higher FSB with a lower mult is better than a lower FSB with a high mult. the only difference is the L2 Cache size which is 1MB for the FX chip. now some games, like D3 like better caches. same goes for some other (but not all) apps. it really depends on what software you use. but the difference will not be a great as the savings in cost ~600$

I agree Lord,And btw..is your 3.0c a sl6wk?

I bought it sept 03 andI lapped it a 2 months after. I never took down the model#. Its a Revision D1, 9 stepping.

mPGA-478 .... just reading what cpu-z says.

I gotta agree with the Capt. Even if you overclock the hell out of your athlons, the FX chip can still do better and have an easier time doing it. You can't overclock your chip higher than he can overclock his. It is also true though that most games when run at higher resolutions are mostly dependent on the video card and not the processor. That being said, everyone should spend their money as they see fit, if he wants bragging rights of saying he has the biggest baddest processor on the block, thats just fine. Hell, if money was no issue I would certainly have one. I'm running a 3200+ for now and saving. I decided rather than spend the big bucks on the proc this time, I got the uber memory, the uber videocard, the 939 socket SLI mobo, and later this year, I'll spend the big bucks on a dual core FX proc then I'll brag for a few months. I'll probably also get the second video card for my SLI while I wait.

OblivionLord said:
I bought it sept 03 andI lapped it a 2 months after. I never took down the model#. Its a Revision D1, 9 stepping.

mPGA-478 .... just reading what cpu-z says.

I had a SL6WK 3.0c D1 that did 4.2 on water and stock V :)

hrrmm..... alright, i just use my pc for gaming, so i dont think i need to upgrade to these proccessors anymore.

heck, i might consider selling my mobo and cpu and getting a 939 3200+ and possibly making a profit!

i'm just worried about the 754 socket being phased out...

ralfyboy said:
hrrmm..... alright, i just use my pc for gaming, so i dont think i need to upgrade to these proccessors anymore.

heck, i might consider selling my mobo and cpu and getting a 939 3200+ and possibly making a profit!

i'm just worried about the 754 socket being phased out...

754 is on the way out man.....

so what is future proof? i need to upgrade soon as I play professionally 2.6ht on 865 perl 1gb samsung mem 74 gig raptor BFG 6800gt audigy 2 etc but I know it's gonna suck in a few months so I want to keep an eye out and buy a piece here and there. Get a 939 mobo and a 3200 and keep the rest of my sys (except for the 6800 which is agp)? Or what? Wait and see? FX-55 pawns for sure but it is still $$$..not trying to hijack the thread just seems like ppl with older tech need to know what to go for in the next few months.

Back