Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 90nm Review

Um, yeah, but then wouldnt you just get similiar results to the s754 3200+? Where it wouldnt perform up to par?

EmptyWallet said:
Um, yeah, but then wouldnt you just get similiar results to the s754 3200+? Where it wouldnt perform up to par?

yeah you could but then you couldnt upgrade. the s939 is the future of AMD and like most people, i just cant let go of 800 bones for the fx53. so in the meantime, get a 3200+,3500+, or 3800+ and get used to the new tech and then upgrade to the fx53, fx55, or even the fx57 when they come down in price and come out for the later ones mentioned.

Eh, saying S939 is future proof isnt really true since PCI-E is coming out n' stuff ( which will be 939....just not anytime soon ) I decided to go 754 now because of its reliability and its performance:price ratio. Plus all the 939 mobos blow as of now. I think 939 will start getting good in another 6-7 months. Thats when I'll jump on if im not happy with my 754 :D

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Eh, saying S939 is future proof isnt really true since PCI-E is coming out n' stuff ( which will be 939....just not anytime soon ) I decided to go 754 now because of its reliability and its performance:price ratio. Plus all the 939 mobos blow as of now. I think 939 will start getting good in another 6-7 months. Thats when I'll jump on if im not happy with my 754 :D

I'm with you on that one...

Isn’t using “future proof” and any form of “CPU” in the same sentence sort of like the ultimate oxymoron? ;)

BillR said:
Isn’t using “future proof” and any form of “CPU” in the same sentence sort of like the ultimate oxymoron? ;)

YEP. S754 is not going away anytime soon unless AMD wants to fuck themselves over. The current 939 boards are going to be obsolete anyways just as soon as the current S754's. The dual channel option is barely any faster than the 754 single channel due to the incredible bandwidth already present in the A64's on die memory controller, and even the extra 512k cache in the Clawhammers barely shows any speed increase at least for gaming, and not even that much in other apps. For someone that upgrades every 6-8 months the reasoning that 754 or 939 is going to be future proof is absurd anyways...spending extra just to go 939 now is a waste of $$$ IMO unless you just got it to burn...
...and going from an S754 rig to a 939 just to get the dual channel memory is really a waste....in 5 months when I upgrade again I will just research and get the fastest I can afford, which is usually one step below the top of the line since they stick it to you for the high end stuff anyways...most overclockers by nature are usually thriftier on cpu purchases anyway, hoping to get a great chip that can run with the top of the line models for 1/3 the price... ;)

IMHO, which of course is worth “0” is that 754 is going to replace the old line and as such will have very long legs. Bleeding edge is cool for sure, but right now it’s such a small increase in performance I personally can’t justify it especially when you add in 3 to 4 hundred bucks in that “special” ram etc.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t buy what the want, I just get tired of hearing people tell other people they bought crap when the performance difference is only measurable by a few points on some benchmarks.

Just my humble thoughts :D

BillR said:
IMHO, which of course is worth “0” is that 754 is going to replace the old line and as such will have very long legs. Bleeding edge is cool for sure, but right now it’s such a small increase in performance I personally can’t justify it especially when you add in 3 to 4 hundred bucks in that “special” ram etc.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t buy what the want, I just get tired of hearing people tell other people they bought crap when the performance difference is only measurable by a few points on some benchmarks.

Just my humble thoughts :D

i second that :D

Awesome - this review is kinda what Ive been looking for...

But not enough OC info... Doh - still waiting for a [H] review I guess...

9mmx19 said:
Awesome - this review is kinda what Ive been looking for...

But not enough OC info... Doh - still waiting for a [H] review I guess...

64 bit 3000 newcastle at 2.4 on just plain PC3200 ram on an MSI Neo micro atx with stock voltage.. The bad part? Now I want a better mobo as I had no intention of OCing this thing at all. It was just too damn easy ;)

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7417

good stuff there :)

BillR said:
Bleeding edge is cool for sure, but right now it’s such a small increase in performance I personally can’t justify it especially when you add in 3 to 4 hundred bucks in that “special” ram etc.
what is this special ram you speak of? 939 uses regular ram (that goes in every other ddr board), not the registered stuff that 940 and the opterons require.

(cf)Eclipse said:
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7417

good stuff there :)

what is this special ram you speak of? 939 uses regular ram (that goes in every other ddr board), not the registered stuff that 940 and the opterons require.

Several articles have been written now on how well the 939 was able to scale to different memory. Very little of the memory tested was in the general affordable range. To get the most from your $200 CPU you will need a gig of $300 to $400 ram. I’m not finding that with the 754.

I might add that no one so far has shown a mind-boggling advantage in dual channel at this time.

I was one of those who went out and spent a ton on the first AMD Socket dually boards, with factory MP processors, I love new stuff and bleeding edge, it just has to give me something tangible (besides a benchmark) in return. ;)

BillR said:
Several articles have been written now on how well the 939 was able to scale to different memory. Very little of the memory tested was in the general affordable range. To get the most from your $200 CPU you will need a gig of $300 to $400 ram. I’m not finding that with the 754.

I might add that no one so far has shown a mind-boggling advantage in dual channel at this time.
939 and 754 tend to scale the same with the same memory, cause the only difference between the two is that one has an extra channel. the only reason why 754 can clock the ram up better is cause you have the option of using one stick, which is much less taxing on the controller.

an advantage for dual channel.. well no crazy performance advantage yet, but wait a while and see what happens when you wanna upgrade that 754 board of yours.. the 939 users will be far better off.

Amd zone is so foolish, I mean just read the review. I have several problems with it.
1. The fools tried to Overclock it just using the pathetic factory heatsink. Fools!
2. They foolishly omitted watercooled overclocking results. Fools!
conclusion : they are fools!

(cf)Eclipse said:
939 and 754 tend to scale the same with the same memory, cause the only difference between the two is that one has an extra channel. the only reason why 754 can clock the ram up better is cause you have the option of using one stick, which is much less taxing on the controller.

an advantage for dual channel.. well no crazy performance advantage yet, but wait a while and see what happens when you wanna upgrade that 754 board of yours.. the 939 users will be far better off.

Well i guess its still less taxing but you can still reach DDR600 (2T command) or up to 9x290(2.61GHz) at 2.5-4-3-10 2.85V 1T ( That is using 2x512mb Sticks i wanna see that done with an 754 possible?) read it on this article gives some good info on some of the memory, they even use the memory from PQI and G Skill (?) anyway nice read if you want the Right info on this think what will be possible once the better motherboards come out
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226

the PQI memory is some really good stuff. the pmi with cas2 2-2-5 uses the same chips as corsairs 3200xl xms, but the pqi is a ton cheaper

etjr said:
Well i guess its still less taxing but you can still reach DDR600 (2T command) or up to 9x290(2.61GHz) at 2.5-4-3-10 2.85V 1T ( That is using 2x512mb Sticks i wanna see that done with an 754 possible?) read it on this article gives some good info on some of the memory, they even use the memory from PQI and G Skill (?) anyway nice read if you want the Right info on this think what will be possible once the better motherboards come out
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226
you're forgetting that the mobo and chipset is no longer a dominant factor in memory performance now that the controller is on the die. more efficient design and better bioses will be what makes these mobo's stand out from each other now
i would have liked to see anandtech review a bunch of boards with the various memory and see which board like which memory and how it will clock. that would be some truely invaluable information

[hard]420 said:
the PQI memory is some really good stuff. the pmi with cas2 2-2-5 uses the same chips as corsairs 3200xl xms, but the pqi is a ton cheaper

Yeah they use the Samsung TCCD memory that Geil PC3200 X and OCZ EL PC3200 Plat.Rev 2 uses and some of the other 2-2-2 memory based off it

Still tho The K8N Neo2 is among the most popular of the boards on the 939 socket so its not bad to show the performance of that and im guessing that they should perform similarly as other Nforce3 250Gb boards out since they are designed similarly and Look at what all the bios prob people have with the neo2 now imagine if it performs this well now imagine if they improve their bios

is PQI's 2-2-2-5 the cheapest of the best RAM for 939 systems? in other words, is it the best value?

Shane_c82 said:
is PQI's 2-2-2-5 the cheapest of the best RAM for 939 systems? in other words, is it the best value?

well pricewise they are very similar cause the PQI 2X512mb Kit is $249 (at newegg they have other PQI kits of 1GB but they cost less but they arent at 2-2-2 only the most expensive is)
On the other hand the OCZ Plat Rev 2 cost $283 for the 1GB kit so... $30 dollar Difference so it just depends on what you would prefer i suppose

etjr said:
well pricewise they are very similar cause the PQI 2X512mb Kit is $249 (at newegg they have other PQI kits of 1GB but they cost less but they arent at 2-2-2 only the most expensive is)
On the other hand the OCZ Plat Rev 2 cost $283 for the 1GB kit so... $30 dollar Difference so it just depends on what you would prefer i suppose
yeah for a little over 200 bucks you can get a gig of PQI CAS2 3-3-6. Thats a pretty good value i think.

7718 said:
Amd zone is so foolish, I mean just read the review. I have several problems with it.
1. The fools tried to Overclock it just using the pathetic factory heatsink. Fools!
2. They foolishly omitted watercooled overclocking results. Fools!
conclusion : they are fools!

I like AMD and all, but AMDZone's fanatacism is just ridiculous. They blow everything out of proportion, and often have uneducated views, based mostly on heresay or mindless zealotry.

That said, they do sometimes have interesting articles. The one you mention, however, is not one of them. :)

Back