Athlon 5350 vs core 2 duo e6420

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking at replacing an aging server i have here at home thats giving me nothing but headaches.

Trying to decide if i want to replace the failing motherboard and stick with 775 or invest in something else and i ran across this one. At 25 watts and $50 i could build a small mini ITX system.

What kind of performance difference would i be looking at offhand? I know it isnt going to be a powerhouse but its at least faster than an ancient e6420 right?

DeathFromBelow

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking at replacing an aging server i have here at home thats giving me nothing but headaches.

Trying to decide if i want to replace the failing motherboard and stick with 775 or invest in something else and i ran across this one. At 25 watts and $50 i could build a small mini ITX system.

What kind of performance difference would i be looking at offhand? I know it isnt going to be a powerhouse but its at least faster than an ancient e6420 right?

Hard to say since they're different categories of chips, AM1 is a low-cost/low-power platform designed to compete with Intel's current Atom chips while also having a decent iGPU. It scores about double the e6420 in CPU Mark, but on AM1 the RAM can only run in single-channel mode and the 4 individual CPU cores are pretty weak.

They're great low-cost general purpose/HTPC chips, I imagine they'd be fine in a NAS.

kac77

2[H]4U
I talked about it here. I even benched it as a NAS.

ECC & Athlon 5350/5150

As for the memory controller while it's true that it's single channel is far better and more efficient than what you would typically find in other AMD chips.