Athlon 220GE and 240GE benched

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
Are they worth the extra cash over a 200GE? You decide.

Procs like tested today are fun, and extra fun when they can be tweaked a bit. So yeah, I was initially disappointed to hear the Athlon being locked on the multiplier and DDR4 frequency, however, the current MSI BIOS we tested with shows you can bring the two gobblers towards ~4000 MHz stable with that memory at 3333 MHz. And that by itself is worth the 55 to 75 bucks you spend on this proc. It remains an unofficial step, MSI could always close that option with future BIOSes. However knowing AMD and MSI, that is not going to happen. So who is the Athlon 2x0GE series for? Well, the guys and gals that need an internet PC, a work OC, an HTPC or a PC for some really low-level gaming.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_athlon_220ge_and_240ge_review,1.html

Nope! I own a 200 GE I cant imagine them being even remotely faster in any metric.

I just OC'd to 3.9 with a positive offset.

It was just preliminary. Now I am going to pstate overclock the chip as well and get as high as I can in freq and as low in voltage.

i'll post some screenshots later.

CPUz in Windows 10 reports successful overclock.

Using my Gigabyte Aorus b450M matx motherboard with the latest bios.

I got it to 4.0 @ 1.3 so far

Cant figure out how to pstate OC this chip. It is as if it is being resistant to my attempts. I will still work on it some more later.

upload_2019-5-8_15-58-18.png

I got it to 4.0 @ 1.3 so far

Cant figure out how to pstate OC this chip. It is as if it is being resistant to my attempts. I will still work on it some more later.

View attachment 159762

From what I've read, the 2xxGE series chips do not support Precision Boost Overclocking at all. Being as AMD doesn't support OC'ing on these chips, your left to the mercy of the BIOS on your Mobo.

YouTuber TechEpiphany posted a video on Thursday of an overclocked Athlon 200GE, which is surprising because this $55 dual-core, four-thread processor wasn't originally overclockable. The Athlon 200GE comes with a locked multiplier, making it the only non-overclockable, Zen-based model in AMD's fleet. In fact, as a low-end model, it doesn't even support AMD's Precision Boost algorithms that improve performance, instead operating at a static 3.2 GHz clock speed. We followed up with our own testing and currently have the chip running at 3.9 GHz. We have our own test results at the bottom of the article.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/athlon-200ge-overclock-amd-bios,38182.html

Got it to run stable manually @ 4.0ghz 1.305 volts lowest stable

According to HWinfo the chip is estimated to be pulling around 53 watts peak. I have it on an H110i Corsair 140mm x2 AIO. Yes its overkill but only because it was servicing my previous 2600x. This chip is just in this particular machine until I can toss a Zen 2 cpu later this summer.

It is my sons cpu. He is 5 so he only uses it for ABC learning Frog and sometimes Minecraft. He doesn't need a whizbanger.

Of course I have my 2950x downstairs in the basement room but I dont want to work down there in the dark when its nice and sunny with huge windows in front of me upstairs where this PC is.

upload_2019-5-8_16-12-21.png

I just got my 200GE system running. Trying to decide what to do with it.
Wonder if I can overclock it (for no reason) on my Gigabyte B350 mobo...

Really want to pair it with a RX560, and see what I get!

Back