Atari VCS Is Powered by 14nm AMD Ryzen APU with Radeon Vega Graphics

What was the last successful piece of hardware Atari even made? The ST? Feels like a brand they'd be better off renaming. I know 80's nostalgia is cool, but I can't see a device like this capitalizing on that.

I don't disagree with you here. Yeah, the ST is actually still used by some audio production die-hards funny enough. :D No, they haven't really had a successful console since the 2600 full stop. (a few computers maybe) The place their name still stood for something for quite a bit longer was in the arcades, but those games I believe (someone else filled me in on this a while back) were a separate division.

My personal favorite Atari hardware of all time was the Lynx. I loved that thing. Somewhat limited library of course, but almost all of the games were fun, which is rare, and the hardware was pretty impressive. The screen could have been nicer of course, but I had a blast with mine. I actually miss it.

I don't disagree with you here. Yeah, the ST is actually still used by some audio production die-hards funny enough. :D No, they haven't really had a successful console since the 2600 full stop. (a few computers maybe) The place their name still stood for something for quite a bit longer was in the arcades, but those games I believe (someone else filled me in on this a while back) were a separate division.

My personal favorite Atari hardware of all time was the Lynx. I loved that thing. Somewhat limited library of course, but almost all of the games were fun, which is rare, and the hardware was pretty impressive. The screen could have been nicer of course, but I had a blast with mine. I actually miss it.

I actually had a Lynx, too. It was a huge flop, but I had some great games. I played the hell out of the version of California Games that came with it. It was one of the only systems to ever get the arcade versions of Ninja Gaiden, Rygar, Xybots, etc. As ridiculous as it sounds, mine stopped working after about 3 months and my local EB ended up giving me store credit for it when I tried to take it back. I bought a SNES with the $ and sold the games in my local paper.

I even got suckered into buying a Jaguar thanks to that horrible shill of a magazine, Diehard Gamefan. I wish I could have gotten store credit for that turd.

I hope the one with woodgrain on the front is an early design prototype or optional - because that fugly.

You must be a post millennial or something. This is not for you if you dont understand the nostalgia of the woodgrain.

Last edited:
Yes this is meant to evoke the mood of days when quality electronics had real wood grain finishes because the craftsman took pride in their work and wanted to show it off like a piece of furniture.

I design analog synthesizers, and actually still have my dad create really nice wood sides out of fancy hard woods for them. Some things just need wood.

Back