Atari Reveals More Details on Its Console-Computer Hybrid

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Eurogamer sat down with Atari COO Michael Arzt at this year’s GDC for more information on its upcoming VCS console. His comments would suggest that it won’t be an ordinary, retro console, but some sort of all-in-one system that can serve as an alternative to an HTPC.

It's less expensive than a PC, and it doesn't require you to have your laptop plugged into the TV. It'll control many aspects of the TV, and it'll also let you do things on the TV that - because it'll have voice control, because it'll have a really easy navigation system, things like that - it'll make computing on the television easier.

Still doesn't make sense to me. The price point is currently too high and I still don't get it's intended audience.
If they get a good version of Rampart, I might take a look...

I don't even think this is the original Atari people in any shape, form or connection that's doing this. I thought I read the Atari rights for a console or whatever has been sold over and over again.

I really think the Atari name has been passed around a lot as in sold here and there.

I could be totally wrong and anyone is free to correct me. But I still have some doubts. I got totally burned with the Ouya. I actually never got to use the damn thing. I kickstarted one, got it in the mail. Played with it a short bit, not fully due to some issues that I cannot remember now and sold it for maybe a $40 dollar profit. I didn't hang on to it long at all. But the concept sure as hell sold me when it was first announced.

I hope this isn't some cheap android shit where they are trying to use the legendary Atari name to make a fast buck.

Those mock photos / prototypes sure do look good however. I'll give them that.

I don't even think this is the original Atari people in any shape, form or connection that's doing this. I thought I read the Atari rights for a console or whatever has been sold over and over again.

I really think the Atari name has been passed around a lot as in sold here and there.

I could be totally wrong and anyone is free to correct me. But I still have some doubts. I got totally burned with the Ouya. I actually never got to use the damn thing. I kickstarted one, got it in the mail. Played with it a short bit, not fully due to some issues that I cannot remember now and sold it for maybe a $40 dollar profit. I didn't hang on to it long at all. But the concept sure as hell sold me when it was first announced.

I hope this isn't some cheap android shit where they are trying to use the legendary Atari name to make a fast buck.

Those mock photos / prototypes sure do look good however. I'll give them that.

Yep the "Atari" should really be in quotes every time a headline about it is copy-pasted here. It looks to be a Rasperry Pi with an Atari emulator, wrapped in a plastic shell with an LED.

This is just a marketing scam, trying to take advantage of the "mini" console nostalgia resurgence created by an actual company, Nintendo. The real ATARI is long dead just like Commodore.

Yes this is someone banking on the atari name to make money… but do most people even care about the atari name?

Friendly reminder that this is actually the French company which used to bear the name Infogrames and has been dragging the Atari name through mud by preying on nostalgia with games like a new alone in the dark (where you're neither alone, nor in the dark) and rollercoaster tycoon world.

In short: buyer, run away.

It was sad enough to watch Atari fade into oblivion over the decades. Even sadder to see it in this zombie/protoplasmic state.

Hey why don't you make a kick ass stick controller.. You know for like a console like the Atari. Nash just release crape ware and call it nastalga.

If their business plan is to try and appeal to hipsters who buy old Atari t-shirts they're fucking idiots. Most of those little dicks don't even know what an Atari 2600 is.

As for purchasing a 'retro inspired' console which ISN'T cool in their eyes (someone please tell him) just ain't gonna happen - they're far too busy putting selfies of their retro t's onto instragram to PLAY a game.

As for the older gen, we either want a real retro Atari console without shite Social Media crap that's obviously being added for the millennials or nothing at all.

This COO is just a shitty salesman trying to appeal to all but actually appealing to nobody.

Last edited:
My first console was an Atari. Heck one of my first computers was Atari. This project has almost zero appeal to me and I'm their target demographic.

Yep the "Atari" should really be in quotes every time a headline about it is copy-pasted here. It looks to be a Rasperry Pi with an Atari emulator, wrapped in a plastic shell with an LED.
I guess you missed the part where he said it would have an AMD x86 processor in it? Reading is fundamental.

My prediction - this will be out and in production and playable before Star Citizen.

Back